Successes in your career in Mauritius

Hello,

Becoming an expat means starting over in a new country, and a lot of times that also means starting over in your career as well.

How have your skills and experiences evolved since moving to Mauritius?

What does being successful in your career mean to you?

Can you share some tips about what to do and what to avoid in order to advance in your professional career in Mauritius?

Can you share an inspirational career story with us?

Did you have to change careers or adapt your career to fit the job demands in Mauritius?

How do you balance a successful career with your personal and social life?

What are the benefits of having work experience in different countries?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I can thoroughly recommend living and working in Mauritius, I love it !
I moved here 7 years ago and decided to become a full time artist, so applied for an occupational permit that has to be renewed every three years. I had to supply various information, a business plan etc. There is a turnover target to reach which is currently 600,000 rupees per annum for first two years which then goes up to 1,200,000 rupees for the third year. Occupational permits  give automatic residency.
I survived for 6 years selling my artwork but found it very difficult here so had to get another plan.
So now I'm  on my third occupational permit and last year started renting premises which I converted to an art studio where I run various weekly art and sculpture courses in Calodyne in the north of Mauritius as well as occasional Master Class workshops bringing over  internationally renowned artists and tutors for week long courses. There's now a very lively art community in Calodyne which is great fun and I'm very appreciative of the fact I don't have to travel to Europe any more  for courses as the tutors come here and they also love the experience as well as having a holiday in Mauritius as they usually extend their stay and I help them find accommodation.
I have found my experience of moving here from the U.K. one of the best things I've done in my life and will never regret the decision. I'm looking  forward to helping expand the art community here in the north.

Really pleased to hear your story, gives me quite some hope and motivation. I am an aspiring artist and was worried mainly about the hardships involved. I think I will go on with my goals ty.