Successes in your career in Dominican Republic

Hello,

Becoming an expat means starting over in a new country, and a lot of times that also means starting over in your career as well.

How have your skills and experiences evolved since moving to the Dominican Republic?

What does being successful in your career mean to you?

Can you share some tips about what to do and what to avoid in order to advance in your professional career in Dominican Republic?

Can you share an inspirational career story with us?

Did you have to change careers or adapt your career to fit the job demands in Dominican Republic?

How do you balance a successful career with your personal and social life?

What are the benefits of having work experience in different countries?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Oh wow now this is a topic.  Let me start things off.

All skills and experiences help in one way or another.  However often not in the way you might expect.

Understanding the culture  is paramount.  Without that  you will make a lot of errors that can and will hurt you in your career or job search.

What to avoid:  First and foremost do NOT say:" well in XXX country we do it this way".  That is the fastest way to piss off locals.  Many times there are damn good reasons things are done the way they are and you just don't understand that yet.  Other times,  you may be right BUT until you have earned your stripes here no one wants to hear it.  You take the chance of alienating the people you are trying to assist.

My advice - keep your head down,  eyes open, ears open and your mouth shut until you learn the ropes.  Just gain experience here.  THEN what you suggest might be worth hearing.

Second - understand a lot of skills and credentials from home are NOT valued here.  For example - an RN at home is a very valued professional. Here they might make  400 to 500 US a month. And that is a really good job.

Understand the value of your network. That is both social and business.  Latino culture is very very social.  Cultivate your network in order to get ahead.  Don't use that network without giving back to it.  Most good positions are found via that network. Its all about who you know here.

Be flexible and adapt.  For me that is the most critical  thing.  If you are rigid and unwilling to adapt then you will be lost. 

Stories -  next time.  Now I have to get back to running my empire...... :D

I have looked for accounting jobs in Santo Domingo, but found as the Planner said about nursing, accountants aren't valued like in the U.S. A high paying accounting position in the Dominican Republic is nonexistent.  I work two remote jobs for companies based in the U.S. Unfortunately that requires me to spend some time back in the United States, like now. I can say that living in Santo Domingo and working remotely from home has helped me balance my time. Living primarily in the Dominican Republic has also made me more relaxed and calm. I'm currently in Southern California working at one of my clients. If you know SoCal, traffic is horrendous. The people are angry and seem so stressed about everything. I've been here now for a few months and leaving right after the 4th of July. I can say I still speak to people. I'm still polite to people. I haven't turned back into the angry American, that I was before moving to the island.
I would say my personal and social life there has been a benefit to my career.

I moved to the Dominican Republic and bought a Hotel on the beach.  I was burn't out from my job and had the dream of living in a beautiful sunny place on the beach.  I wasn't really looking for another job working for someone else and I did not speak Spanish.  So, I found this hotel with the owners home, my home now that overlooks the beach and ocean with a hotel.  The hotel pays for my living expenses and more.  I have an employee that works the office and a maintenance guy and a person to clean rooms, so there is not a huge amount of work involved.  I do have to watch over things but its not difficult.   I had no experience with a hotel before, but its not difficult to understand and I meet happy people every day.  It is semi-retirement for me.  A hotel on the beach is a lot easier to market and most people want to stay on the beach for vacation.  So, it is not risky.  Anyways, its been 8 years here and I my wife and I are thinking of retiring completely.  But we love it here in the DR and would recommend the island to everyone.    I would be happy to answer anyone's question.

What about safety? Where is the best place to stay? Do you recommend being in the biggest city?

Welcome to the forums. This thread is about careers and not about safety.  There are a number of threads where that is specifically addressed honey. Go take a look and feel free to ask questions if you dont find what you are looking for.

I live in Cabarete and feel safe here.  For me I would feel a bit uncomfortable if I lived in a house in the hills unless it was a guarded community.  Each area and neighborhood has its reputation, so I can't really respond with a general answer.  That is one of the reasons people say come and rent for a while and get to know the area.  There are some nice guarded communities that offer 24/7 power and other services that may be good for a first time person here as well.  I like Ocean Village, Casa Linda, Hispanola and some other communities in the north coast because they have good security, home maintenance programs, back up power and other community amenities that will make your stay very comfortable.

Yup this is like herding cats!!!! I really do not know why i bother.

Thank you for sharing.   I am thinking of going that route myself as a single female. Where is your hotel?  Which areas do you recommend?

Yup, can't herd cats.... but you can lead them with a can of tuna.

I am currently a Real Estate agent here in XXX country 😊
How difficult is it to do the same in the DR? Licencing and so forth?

No license required. You gather up contacts, hunt up listings etc. There isn't an MLS  here. Anyone can represent sellers & or buyers.

Its the wild wild west in real estate.

Welcome to the forums!!

For us we are looking forward to retiring in the DR in about 10 years. At that time I do not want to pursue a full workload but what I'm doing right now is Internet-based so I will be able to continue my work and have an income stream no matter where I live in the world. My wife and I own an apartment that is paid for in Santiago which we purchased for my wife's mom and so that expense is completely covered. It's being rented now so were able so save some $ from that source. Our plan is to save as much as we can now and later sell our house in Michigan and cash out so we will have that income available but also Social Security and thank God the dollar goes a long ways in the DR :)

I would say that for anyone desiring to retire in the DR it is extremely important to plan your finances now. I'm 52 now but man let me tell you I think about retiring (We say RE-FIRING)  in the Dominican Republic every day. I lived in Santiago for two years between 1989 and 90 and have fallen in love with the country. I can say that literally because I married my wife Yngris from Santiago and have family and friends still there.  I wish you all success in your plans and hope to connect with many of you once we make the final move in about 10 years!

Remember, Don't worry, be happy!
Future ex-pat, Nick Boork

Great post Nick! Welcome to the forums.

Hello ,
I am new in Dominican Rep,during last month I did a lot research about jobs vacancies but all recruiter told me I suppose to get a Cedulla to work is it like that?
There's no company who hire people with visa please?
I can work in Hotel,call center I speak French also

You were told correctly, almost no jobs available without residencia and a cedula.

Yes that's what I notice during my research