Successes in your career in Colombia

Hello,

Becoming an expat means starting over in a new country, and a lot of times that also means starting over in your career as well.

How have your skills and experiences evolved since moving to Colombia?

What does being successful in your career mean to you?

Can you share some tips about what to do and what to avoid in order to advance in your professional career in Colombia?

Can you share an inspirational career story with us?

Did you have to change careers or adapt your career to fit the job demands in Colombia?

How do you balance a successful career with your personal and social life?

What are the benefits of having work experience in different countries?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Priscilla - A stranger once asked me; “who are you and what do you do?  My reply; Do you really want to know and do you have time?”  Once my story is told and one learns of how we discovered Retiro - Antioquia and the Mission we were on, most are truly inspired.  I am 76 years old but had to die eight years ago to arrive at this place, at this time to fulfill a specific Mission.  You would be correct if you assumed that were a Mission for God. 

I might suggest, for those who still have interest, respond to this short intro and I will forward my story.  It begins in 1988, God visited me in 2001 while I was in Kiev, Ukraine, I was given a Mission in 2004, and my near death experience occurred in 2010.  His message to me ... Go prepare a place.  I'll share the three reasons for doing that and why I am here in Retiro to fulfill the Mission. 

I also have a Business Plan for accomplishing the Mission with a short ‘Executive Brief' in summary.  There is something for everyone as we are on a ‘Rescue Mission for Humanity'. 

Fred Howard

As a pensioner I have had much of time to develop me, and one particular thing I am interested, is internet marketing.  I have much of knowledge due to training courses and am following this issue closely.

But most this knowledge and material including programs,  is in English and living in Colombia I would have a very small clientele in Expat Community. My knowledge of local Colombian markets is restricted, even if having reasonable Spanish skills.

Luckily I have a very talented artisan and a woman with marketing experience as my Civil Union wife.

To reach the Colombian markets, is fine to have a companion with native Spanish and 25 years living in Medellin area, and also having previous marketing experience, on my side. My wife is very interested to work together to start a streamlined online marketing enterprise.

I believe strongly in Expats working together with Colombians.

Tomi Pontynen

Hope you are not putting substantial (if any ) of your own capital into the scheme.

Colombianas always have these ideas and could be so successful if they could only get a bank (who of course will not give the a loan) or preferably, some gringo to finance them.

They never stop to think, if their ideas were so great, they would already be self made women , would have successful businesses and not need to dupe some old gringo into wasting his hard earned nest egg on some cockamamie idea.

Not saying this is your case, but I have seen it so many , many times before...same script..different actors..

Better to just pay for their university and rent or whatever and let them take care of their own crazy ideas. Not saying you shouldn´t support her emotionally, but keep your pension money out of it.

If you are really into internet marketing , focus on other countries. Why Colombia? It represents less than 1% of the world market, and isnt growing rapidly. After all on the internet ..you are not restricted to one country.

I did not say that we think market of only Colombia. I have very valuable friends and links in Ecuador and Peru. The US market is highly competitive but the South American much less. We are aiming to this and if needed, I have good ground in Portuguese language too. I think there is enough market and traffic to be taken. Also the US is for me an alien place.

You said that the market is not growing. What has it to do with the online marketing? There are always people needing things, we know that from experience. And wherever you go, you see people with their celulars, it is already well known, that the greater part of online selling is to mobile clients and that part is growing all the time.

We are not planning a world leading position, just a small slice of cake and something interesting to do together.The capital needed is in the beginning very small but growing in same pace than results. Very different than a fixed locality enterprise.

Tomi

Hello everyone,

Please note that you are required to share your personal experience on the forum. Should you want to share something in particular with a member, please do so through private message.

Thank you,
Bhavna

P.S due to some confusion, 2 posts have been put aside.

My reply was to Tjussi42..but was also to anyone in general..in a relationship with a Colombiana.
If she wants you to invest in her "business" , which, she is sure that despite previous failures of her other ideas, she will finally have fantastic success after she gets a few million (or more pesos) from you.. beware!

Danger Will Robinson..Danger! Danger!

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the jobs section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct