Does one need a long term visa to obtain a Malaysian driving license ?

Hi !

I'm a foreigner and I've just subscribed in a Malaysian driving school, i'm taking the theory tests right now, but i wondered if i needed a long term visa, or if my 90 days visa would be enough ?

Regards,
John.

In the past you  needed either a work permit or long-term visa.  As I understand you.can. drive  on your home license, if valid.

Thanks ! They didn't ask me anything for now, i'm kinda scared to ask in case it would trigger some sort of block i already stepped over. Maybe i should ask, just in case.

And i don't have any home license, that's why a Malaysian license would be quite convenient, especially for what it costs.

Since you're getting a brand new license it might be easier, but those of us that converted overseas DL's to Malaysian DL had to jump through some hoops. But I was be very surprised if they issue the actual DL without some sort of long term authorization to stay in the country.

Update : no one in my driving center seemed to really know.

iskandarhack wrote:

Since you're getting a brand new license it might be easier, but those of us that converted overseas DL's to Malaysian DL had to jump through some hoops. But I was be very surprised if they issue the actual DL without some sort of long term authorization to stay in the country.

It surprises me as well ! Some more i wasn't asked to give any proof that i didn't have any license withdrawn from me in my home country.  I'll just hope and go along for now.

Possibly the ultimate issue is that even if you pass the theory and driving tests, you only end up with a provisional licence valid for 2 years - not a full Malaysian licence.

Gravitas wrote:

Possibly the ultimate issue is that even if you pass the theory and driving tests, you only end up with a provisional licence valid for 2 years - not a full Malaysian licence.

I'll share the results here ! I should obtain a 1 year visa ynder the next two years, so hopefully i can apply for the full licence then.

The 'P' license is what everyone gets as a first license. As far as I know the only issue is that you have to put a 'P' sticker in your window. I had a friend that converted an US license to Malaysia and they stuck him with a 'P' license as well (he'd been a licensed driver for 40 years). I didn't have that experience, but  it seems every time JPJ changes directors (LOTS of changes of directors now), the rules seem to change a bit. I wouldn't worry about the P license, you can still drive and your visa type won't have a bearing on getting it. Even local drivers have to start with the 'P' license.

At the end of two years, you'll renew into a full license.

I've just obtained my local licenses, it poses no problem to be an expat on a tourist visa.

Beware of prices, i paid 1850 rm + a few extra charges for both bike and car license, some other expats paid up to 2500 only for the car license.

John.Frazier wrote:

I've just obtained my local licenses, it poses no problem to be an expat on a tourist visa.

Beware of prices, i paid 1850 rm + a few extra charges for both bike and car license, some other expats paid up to 2500 only for the car license.

How long are your full licenses valid for after they are issued?

post wrote:

How long are your full licenses valid for after they are issued?

Two years in probationary period, you then have to come here (or ask a local to do it for you) and turn your licenses into a Competent Driving License under a year after your Probationary License's expiry date, or else you will have to go through the driving curriculum again. I read somewhere that if you can justify that you've been living abroad, you might get away with a longer period of waiting after your probationary license expiry date, perhaps up to one additional year.