Pregnant in Kuala Lumpur

My wife and I have been in Kuala Lumpur for work for the past two weeks. She is pregnant. When we walk in the city, people seem to stare at her baby bump, sometimes rudely. Tonight, there was a Chinese woman who stared at her in an uncomfortable way. We notice though that it's not just Chinese women (although they are most likely to stare). Frequently their eyes immediately go to her belly like it's someone of interest. My question is why? Is there a cultural reason why a baby bump is so interesting?

Well it could be because local women dress modestly when pregnant and so bumps are well covered. Too much skin showing is generally a big no-no in Malaysia. So there might be other factors, apart from say too tight clothing. So pregnancy is not flaunted in the same way as some other countries. Ladies here draw attention away from their stomachs and pregnancy is kept more mysterious. Another negative cultural idea concerns being overweight. So pregnancy might look like that as well, depending on clothing.