UK Embassy in Laos visa courier service

Hi, We recently filed a UK tourist visa application with the UK Embassy and was notified over a week ago, that it had been processed and a decision made, with it now being couriered back to our address, but we have yet to receive it and we're getting very close to my booked dates.

UK embassy has no interest and just refers you to the website and the UK number is useless too.

Has anyone else filed for a UK visa of any type for wife/gf or whatever and had it sent back? If so, how long did the courier service take after the notification of the decision having been made and what was the service and from where. We were told it would be sent to the local Post Office.

Many Thanks!

Will.

I suggest you to call to British Embassy Vientiane about Urgent assistance this number +856030 770 0000

Thanks - I've done that already and they didn't want to know. Told me to call VFS who are a waste of time and space :-(

Eventually got it back after 8 days, including 5 days from Vientiane to Vang Vieng Post Office.

Of course it was a brutally insulting refusal, despite the 300+ hours that had gone into all the documents, photos and everything that had deemed to be important previously.  And it had inaccuracies that seemed to suggest that the person had not even fully read a lot of the stuff. It left me in tears :-(

Did they give any specific reasons for the refusal? You do have the right of complaint and ask why.

This was the second refusal. The first time they just doubted the seriousness of the relationship and concluded she would not return to the UK. This time I provided a full history from facebook of all photos and posts of us living together in Laos, plus my stay visa, plus assorted other communications and they still said that it made no difference to doubting the seriousness of the relationship, despite us being together 24/7. They added some other trivial items that were not an issue before. Only spent 300+ hours on researching this and getting this together into an easily readable, but full format. So distressing, when the only reason for going is so that my Mum can meet my gf and the tone of the letter is the most personally insulting letter that I have ever received, either personally or in business. I understand they want to be as sure as possible, that the person is not going to outstay their visa, but it seems like for Laos that unless you work for a bank or government and therefore have a salaried job, they are just going to say no regardless and they have no problem being as brutal as they can possibly personally be to you. By the time we're married and have been here for 5 years, my Mum will almost certainly not be here (already had 2 strokes and cannot get out of the care flat) and the only reason for going will be gone, so we will have no interest in going. Of course the fact that I have a US passport as well as my UK one, as I worked there for 20 years, probably doesn't help either.
My Mum will send a letter to her MP when I am back which I am sure will be a waste of time, but going to the Visa service and trying to appeal/complain is just an utter waste of time as far as I am concerned.

Sorry to hear all this.
I had problems getting my wife from Laos into Australia for the honeymoon. Had to put up a $5000 bond in govt escrow account to ensure she left on or before due date.

Have you considered getting married now instead of later. This may be in your favor when applying again as you wish her to visit your ill mother.

The US passport should not be a problem as I have 2 passports myself and the fact of this was never raised by Australian Embassy when applying for visas.

Perhaps you could suggest that you are prepared to put up a bond as I did.

Don't give up.

In actual fact that was what I was thinking of doing and I am going to consult a lawyer in the UK next week. I am more than happy to put a sizeable sum down as a guarantee. If the lawyer thinks that is a good idea, I will very happily do it.

The disturbing thing about the last response was that the op lied about what I had provided and he dreamt up some ridiculous reasons as well, which I have not seen anywhere else and made absolutely no sense. It was incredibly disturbing  and I intend to have my Mum who is the reason for the trip contact her/our MP as well as seeking professional advice.

Many Thanks for your kind thoughts and suggestions. They are are very much appreciated and valued.

I have had some indirect contact with people who have worked for the immigration service and they were very open about the randomness of decisions , lack of training and motivation. I need to check the op initals from the first letter, which although I was very disappointed about, I could at least believe that they were applying very specific rules and stringently, I have no such confidence from the last letter and operator.

The sad thing is that I am only doing this for my Mum to know and be happy with whom I am with and I try to get back to see her frequently. She is a worrier. Aside from that my gf is not remotely bothered about going to the UK. It's just sad that my Mum is too sick to travel or we would definitely go that route.

Living in the States and visiting my Mum in the UK with gf or wife was just something I took for granted. You do not appreciate how lucky you are in some countries.

Hope your mom recover soon and everything will be better

Many thanks, but she is old and her time is running out. She has lived a good life. I just want her to be happy and not worry about me! That's why I am so upset about the visa. All of which was detailed in the application, but completely ignored. Probably not read :-(

But thanks again - much appreciated.

Immigration authorities have parameters to work in but things may be open to interpretation. That's why you need to have all your ducks in a row plus some more when applying again. Information and documentation is paramount.

Does your partner have a house in her name which will prove that she has assets to come back to? What about setting up a bank account for her with plenty of funds in it.

As the saying goes "a picture paints a thousand words" and I am sure if you chose to get married soon your mother would appreciate lots of them.

Thanks Stumpy. I thought I'd put everything possible down. Sadly my partner does not have a standard salaried month check job or a house, as do most Laos people that I know, but it was the non-belief that we have a genuine relationship that I am really stunned by. I've never been with someone 3 meals a day and practically every day for 18 months except for UK trips.
The finance one I really don't understand, as they say that those with money are more likely to actually break the visa. After all they can simply take the money out before they go and they're nicely set for some time in the UK.  We are trying to get a joint lease,but it's complicated as we're also trying to start a business with live in accommodation and with Laos law that would have to be solely in her name.
I'd like to think the marriage will happen, but after my divorce a good few years back, I'd mentally said I would always wait at least 3 years of knowing someone. I was with my fiance for 6 years, before we decided that we just didn't work well enough! So I may have to reconsider!!

Cheers,

Getting the business up and running will be a bonus visa wise as it will be in her name.
I was divorced in 1982 and did not remarry until 1990, but this was more because of working in different countries and not being settled.
Why not the lease in her name?

@Alastair3

Any news  yet ?

Sincere apologies. I thought I had posted the details.

The letter did eventually make it's way to Vang Vieng Post Office. 2 days to Vientiane, 7 days from Vientiane to VV Post Office. It's crazy with the Laos Postal Service that the UK embassy doesn't give you the option to pick it up from the Embassy, which we would happily have made a bus ride for. Waiting outside the embassy for 2+ hours at initial fingerprinting, I only saw the receptionist get off her personal cell phone once.

Disappointingly the application was rejected for reasons which clearly showed they had not read the supplied documents and the number 1 reason, not believing this was a genuine relationship. This despite living together 24/7 for 18 months except for UK holidays to see my mum, a long detailed letter endorsing this, detailing together with Facebook shots every few days together with family/friends photos/comments on the posts, sample line messages and full plans. Plus a detailed indexed travel history with Passport shots, Indexed passport stamps to show travel was mutual and my 1 year stay permit, valid for another 7 months. All of this had been requested in the first rejection. It was a farcical response complete with lies/insults, and I am considering a judicial review + contact with my registered MP having spoken with an immigration lawyer in the UK.

I do have a redacted version of my personal letter, which I could attached if anyone would like to read and add in suggestions.

Many Thanks for asking and sorry for not getting this posted.

You were lucky even to get the mail as the system here is not the best.  It is usual for Embassies to allow pick up of documentation so do not know why your Embassy chooses to be different.

All of this runaround may be due to your new President and his views on immigration ??

Keep us updated as to how you get on re immigration lawyers and your MP.

I still view myself as 100% British. Ironically I only got the US passport in case I had to spend extended time caring for my Mum outside of the US, so I could get back.

You're right!!! The stain on humanity currently residing in the White House is probably not helping me at the moment with my application :-(

Thanks and good luck to you.