Cadaval, Lisbon Weather

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I'm moving to Portugal next month to stay with friends for up to a year on the Algarve while I find a place to live permanently. I think the Algarve may be too expensive so have been searching wider afield. The area around Cadaval near Lisbon seems far more reasonable but when I look at the annual weather maps the days of sun and rain look bad compared to the UK.
Is it just that region as I thought central Portugal would be much better or am I missing something.

Love to hear from anybody who lives in that region.
Cheers Martin

Anywhere in central Europe is better than the UK, weather wise.

Hi thanks for the reply, I do appreciate your comment and would tend to agree in principal. I'm just concerned that a certain area could be wetter, windier or whatever because of its particular location.
I'm just trying to get some first hand knowledge from people that live in the area.
Martin

Hi Martin,

Myself and my husband did a recce trip to Portugal a couple of weeks ago (we are considering a move to Lisbon in 2019). We were in Sagres in the Algarve for one night and then a couple of nights in Cascais near Lisbon. To be honest I was pretty shocked at how cool it was in both places. "In theory" the weather was 21C but the wind from the Atlantic was enough to skin a cat! It really made us reassess whether we would make the move to that part of the world if it was still that cool in the month of May. Thinking now that being on the Med may be a better option if one is looking for warmth ...

Fee

Hi Fee
Yes thanks, I tend to agree that the Atlantic coast was probably going to be too windy so was looking further inland.

Martin

The great thing about the Atlantic coast near Lisbon is that there is very little temperature variation through the year. The average highs in winter are in the high 50s, and in the summer the low 70s. The daily averages from the coldest to warmest vary by only 8 degrees C. So is it never 'cold' and never 'hot'. The perfect weather for those who like to garden and walk. A lot of sunshine but also plenty of partly cloudy days and adequate rain except in mid summer. 

We have been looking for a place where we can spend the entire year. Like many, we have been spending most of the year in the Northern US and 3 months as snowbirds in Florida. The North is too cold in winter and the south is too warm - even in Spring and Fall much less winter.

I know this is all very subjective as one person's hot is another's cool.
Hmm do you think that Fee's few days near Lisbon were more of an anomaly then?

Martin

Well, as said, all very subjective. We were in Porto in May 2017 and it was mostly cold and wet. We were in the Lisbon area in January and February 2018.  January was pretty wet; temperatures in the mid 50s but not comfortable. February was beautiful .. mostly sunny and temperatures in the mid 60s. Throughout the entire period, flowers everywhere.

We settled on Lourinha because it allowed us to check off all our boxes. Near a big capital city. Less than an hour to the international  airport. Very close to the beach. Able to buy a simple farmhouse with a large garden and orchard plot less than 5 minutes from town.  Just imagine what this would cost in San Diego!!

We are willing to put up with winters less fantastic than those we have enjoyed in Miami Beach for the last decade for year round living in one desirable place.