10 years down the line.

We retire to the Philippines for the warm weather, economical living and to be with our Filipino partner.  Following the new home build and purchase of new car we start to look round for something to do. Luckily for some of us that's not a problem, however what is a problem is not having our own species to mix with for more meaningful conversations. Whatever our backgrounds, it means so much to chat with our own nationality whatever the subject. I'm from the UK and although enjoy meeting up with other nationalities, find the conversation dries up after a while.  Following 10 years here I began to have strange feelings about general life that were no bother in the early years, the stares and isolation in the market place even when meeting  the wife's friends. Day to day life conjured up arguments and issues that the next day seemed unimportant.  I am a fisherman and found a Freshwater resort near Angeles in Pampanga where many Westerners abound. I paid a visit and after only a couple of days returned home a new man! The problem was that the Angeles area is home to a thriving Red Light area and my visit primarily to mix with my own races was seen as a chance to be a customer of the many Girlie bars and has caused domestic strife.
I would sincerely recommend that new retirees here choose a place where they have their own races close by and establish from the very start a night out with men friends. (men only)

I agree with Peter.  I am a happily married American. The question is where to move to.

I was never a book reader apart from Haynes motor manuals, electronic and boat building mags until my last company had me flying across the world to fix problems and I was stuck in airports for hours. After 10 years here I've exhausted all the best author novels (well almost) and I'd take a bootful to my expat meetings to arrange "swaps". Each SM has the book store up stairs and sells books for 50 to 150 pesos each, funny enough the hardbacks can be much cheaper!  But at our age its not good to sit still without exercise so try to restrict my reading times. Despite some effort I have failed to get some of the guys to read the best stories...Wilbur Smith for example..brilliant.

I'm not living in the Philippines (yet) but visit my partner's family near Calauan quite often, and find that while plenty of people speak a little English, it hard to join in most conversations in a meaningful way even when she translates. Luckily, I love reading, long walks, & I'm a fairly serious photographer, while living in Hong Kong for more than 10 years has trained me to become accustomed to a certain amount of solitude. I'll probably end up having long conversations with the family dog !

Gooday

I work have to agree - there is nothing better than running into another aussie and sitting down for a long chat about everything and nothing.  I have lived in the Philippines since the late 90s after meeting my wife in Saudi where I was working at the time.  Still travelling overseas for work from time to time but we have settled and have built a house in Tagaytay and live in Makati during the week so the kids can go to school.

Looking forward to catching up with other expats so if you are around Makati give me a bell

Pat