Scooter on Phu Quoc

Hello, I will be moving to Phu Quoc from the USA and I'll need to purchase a new scooter and helmet.

Can I purchase on Phu Quoc or do I need to purchase on the mainland and bring to Phu Quoc on the ferry?

Hi,
You cannot buy a new scooter in VN unless you are a citizen..
Have tried myself, even with a Vietnamese wife, can't sell it to you...
My wife has Aust passport so not possible.
Suggestions to us, get a VN cit to buy for you, ok if you know and trust them...
Mike

Get a local to buy it, then go to the government office,UBND, and fill in this form.

http://www.congchungbaonguyet.com.vn/doc_templs/view/38

Can I purchase a used scooter?

Yes, but make sure the blue card matches the bike.

Thanks for the information

My lovely Vietnamese wife says you can purchase an electric bike and any other bike under 50 cc, new or used, no license required. Just be aware that there will be trouble if you are found at fault in an accident ... and, I suspect, that the foreigner is always at fault, whether he really is or not (if you get my drift).

" the foreigner is always at fault"

..covers all cultures...        :blink:

My wife says everything is my fault too, I'm used to it.

Men were invented to bear the blame

What other (excuse) can justify mere male existence..?

At least we are still useful to carry the parcels and pay the bills      :proud

There are Yamaha and Honda dealerships on Phu Quoc selling new vehicles. There are several second dealers here but the word is these are often "copies" or repaired wrecks. Helmets I don't know, proper full face helmets are probably not on sale on Phu Quoc so bring one with you; basic helmets are available. Helmets are readily stolen from bikes in PQ.

As mentioned, there are many bike dealers on Phu Quoc.  The price tends to be a bit higher than the mainland.  I have bought 2 new and 2 used bikes over the years and have not had any issues.  The place I bought the 2 used bikes from is across the new river bridge and heading north in Duong Dong  It is on the right about half way to the roundabout.

The question of whether to purchase a motor bike on Phu Quoc Island or on the mainland is one that I cannot directly respond to; however, my question for you is WHY? Why do you believe that you need a "new" motor bike. It is a fact that most motor bike have a long-life and that what you can purchase for $100-$300 (used, of course) will serve your just as well to get from A-B and even much further and 5 years later, you will still be riding the same motor bike and at that time, when ready to get another bike, you will probably get back just whatever you paid for it. Look around at all the used bikes on the roads. Motor bikes are quite easy to maintain and repair (if needed - usually a spark plug, exhaust, a little electrical work or general clean-up, at the most). So, really, why do you need a new bike - it depreciates in value similar (if not more) to a new car.

I don't necessarily need a new one. was just curious about my options on Phu Quoc.  Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for the info Dave

chrisc7753759 wrote:

Hello, I will be moving to Phu Quoc from the USA and I'll need to purchase a new scooter and helmet.

Can I purchase on Phu Quoc or do I need to purchase on the mainland and bring to Phu Quoc on the ferry?

There are several Motorbike shops on Phu Quoc. Most are in Duong Dong City. No need to buy a motorbike on the mainland.

Jo 800 wrote:
chrisc7753759 wrote:

There are several Motorbike shops on Phu Quoc. Most are in Duong Dong City. No need to buy a motorbike on the mainland.

You can also try Craigslist (there's a Vietnamese site) and Facebook if you want to buy from a private seller. I've bought a few bikes over the years from Craigslist ads, but only in Saigon. As stated before, be especially careful with private sales and check if the serial number on the card matches with the bike.

OT: Soy, I don't know. But my undestanding is that foreignes can't (easily) own moto scootes. I bought mine online and got a fake Blue Card and haven't sorted out insurance either.

You may rent one first, taking you sweet time before buying a new one? Perhaps you can swap ental scootes and find one you like?

Beware of the oad suface. I crashed on a rotted papaye.