UK expats coming to malta and in need of a Bank account

Hi Guys just some info for you i have mentioned this before.
metro bank in the UK, you can open an account for free and use all around Europe free withdraws and transactions.  my brother is coming to visit soon and i told him about it as i sent him the link to the bank i noticed you can now open an account online.
https://apply.metrobankonline.co.uk/apply/

just need to put a UK address.

i have been here a year now and im still with metro bank my wages go in, and i have never had a problem with them.         
if you are coming to malta from the Uk i would suggest you do it as its still a real pain opening an account when you get here.

Try https://www.revolut.com/ as well. IBANs and all.

gavherb wrote:

snipped a bit..

just need to put a UK address.

i have been here a year now and im still with metro bank my wages go in, and i have never had a problem with them.         
if you are coming to malta from the Uk i would suggest you do it as its still a real pain opening an account when you get here.

What if one doesn't have a UK address?

I should have added that with Revolut and Transferwise you don't need a UK address.

What happens if it changes after brexit,Europe will hate UK,especially labour gov.in malta

You can also try bunq.com - really easy setup, dont care about your address etc.  SEPA focussed and based in netherlands so should be apart from Brexit rubbish.

100k euro government guaranteed etc, its quite nice

jamesalex27 wrote:

What happens if it changes after brexit,Europe will hate UK,especially labour gov.in malta

Who knows what is going to happen after Brexit.

we'll soon find out but to be honest I don't give it much thought.
Also Maltese government doesn't give a toss about anything outside of Malta other than the usual 85% EU funding for most of the improvements around Malta and Gozo.

Thanks Ray,That sounds fine,I will soon be heading for Malta,and will be looking out for a room only in house or flat,I'm retired male 68,and will be wanting a quiet resort with nice sea view,can you point me in the right direction,Thank you,Jim

jamesalex27 wrote:

Thanks Ray,That sounds fine,I will soon be heading for Malta,and will be looking out for a room only in house or flat,I'm retired male 68,and will be wanting a quiet resort with nice sea view,can you point me in the right direction,Thank you,Jim

Quiet resort?  How well do you know Malta? I think you may find rooms in the popular areas will not be cheap I have gone off topic as this started off about banking.

jamesalex27 wrote:

:offtopic: This is about banking, also why repeat yourself you have already started a topic about rooms? Please don't duplicate posts. Thank you kindly.

metro is an american bank dont think they care about brexit  :D

gavherb wrote:

metro is an american bank dont think they care about brexit  :D

No its not. Metro Bank PLC is a retail bank operating in the United Kingdom, founded by Vernon Hill in 2010

yes your correct  its registered in the UK
my point was its styled on american banking, Vernon Hill is an american, was founder and chairman of Commerce Bancorp new jersey and now also chairman of republic bank Philadelphia.

gavherb wrote:

yes your correct  its registered in the UK
my point was its styled on american banking, Vernon Hill is an american, was founder and chairman of Commerce Bancorp new jersey and now also chairman of republic bank Philadelphia.

Yet it is not n American bank! The only branch is in the UK. Do you work for them?

no of course not ? i just bank with them?

You can easily open a new bank account  at Maltapost ..has everything even a visa card...online banking...takes 24 hours all you need is a passport

They didn't have online banking when I had one. Can only recommend them as a last resort.

Hi, just wanted to ask if anyone is having any problems using Transferwise ?
Both myself and husband have both had our cards kept by BOV atm's whilst trying to withdraw money. Husbands in August, mine in October, in both cases to get another card we have to go through the whole process again as we did when we opened the account dispite having money in the account. Would be grateful of any replies.

I have had one since the launch and not had a problem.
Used it twice in Germany in September and three times in Gozo in October, the Gozo transactions were HSBC and BOV  ATM's, also used it for Malta and USA online transaction.

The only time I could not use my card was with my own bank, BNF, because their machines do not accept Mastercard transactions, BNF are only licenced with Visa!

Ray

Thank you for your reply, I will start again and see what happens