Marriage in Brazil 2018 Questions

Hello everyone,

I am an American male trying to marry my girlfriend who is a Brazilian citizen in Rio. I have been reading through the threads but many are now outdated. Although the process is still roughly the same they no longer require the documents to be cleared by Consulate in the United States. The consulate now will forward you to the Secretary of State office in your home state to recieve an apostille for the documents that correspond to the country you intend to take the documents to (in my case, Brazil).

My fiance spoke to a Cartorio who is requiring me to provide a birth certificate valid within 180 day period, a copy of my driver license to show proof of residence, copy of my passport, and a statement from the consulate indicating my single status. The cartorio was also gracious enough to allow us to apply for the marriage application without my presence and she would allow my fiance to sign on my behalf as long as i provide a notarized power of attorney with an apostille authorizing my fiance to do so in addition to all the documents mentioned after they have been translated  by a sworn transltor. Although after the marriage date has been set I must of course be physically present for the actual consumation of the marriage (wedding day).

Although the Cartorio is kind to us in this manner she is not very detailed when giving us answers and always instructs my fiance to tell me that i should refer to my consulate for answers. The Brazilian consulate here is rather lax and they simply refer me back to the Cartorio.

My questions are:

1. The United States and the consulate does not offer a proof of single status. What would be the substitue for this? When I asked the cartorio she said to ask the consulate and when i did that they said to ask the cartorio. So what will suffice?

2. Does a sworn translation of the documents have to be done in Brazil? Do they put a special stamp on the translation or something indicating it was done by a sworn translator?
I found a translation service that translates official documents for immigration purposes from English to Brazilian Portuguese here in Dallas, TX. They say they have had no issues with any of their documents being accepted in Brazil but that is in terms of immigration papers. They were not sure about documents being submitted for marital purposes.

3. Which parts aside from the information page of my passport do they want me to make copies of?

I wish our cartorio was more explanatory on what she wants specifically since they basically set their own rules. The consulate is even less informative. I want to make sure I have all ducks in a row before mailing out all thess documents to my fiance.

Any help with current info is much appreciated

Thank you

fhindi91

1. If you have been married before you will need a copy of the divorce paperwork. If never married then a declaration that you have never been married. You can make that up yourself.

2. You should do the translation in Brazil.

3. They want every page even the blank ones.

Jim

fhindi91 wrote:

Hello everyone,

2. Does a sworn translation of the documents have to be done in Brazil? Do they put a special stamp on the translation or something indicating it was done by a sworn translator?
I found a translation service that translates official documents for immigration purposes from English to Brazilian Portuguese here in Dallas, TX. They say they have had no issues with any of their documents being accepted in Brazil but that is in terms of immigration papers. They were not sure about documents being submitted for marital purposes.

Any help with current info is much appreciated

Thank you

As Jim says, you should plan on having this done here.  "Sworn Translators" are a profession with high barriers to entry in Brazil, and if a translation isn't on their paper with their seals, it will  not be accepted.  If that service in Texas has "had no issues", then either, (1.) no issues have been reported to them, (2.) they're using a Sworn Translator here and passing the costs through, (3.) the documents were for unofficial purposes, or (4.) they're lying.
I have heard of Sworn Translators sometimes being willing to "check and correct" a translation and transcribe it for official presentation, but even if one agreed to do this, s/he would still have to receive at least a partial fee.

Hi! My cartorio's requirements list "declaração constando estado civil" and "comprovação de inexstencia de impedimento matrimonial" as both being acceptable thru declaração and atestado consular. Was this the case with your cartorio, as well? Now my head is about to explode just imagining that this may not be possible to obtain once I'm in Brazil and about to marry my partner... even though it states online (US Embassy/Consular site) that this is indeed "a thing."

Hello friend Gideon from Nigeria I've been trying to find someone to help to get an invitation later to Brazil for long time now ,please can you help me out

It is faster to come and get married here with the proper documents stated above being translated here in Brazil.
In order to get a permeant visa you will need an address (can be her's) and a telephone or utility bill in you name to show proof of residence.
The go to cartorio with the documents (she can ask for check list. They gave me one.) They can marry you and then go to Policia Federal to begin permanent visa process.   
Consulate General not much help for marriage.

Leishajo

If you and your partner are able to get married in the US and register the marriage with the Brazilian Consulate for your region, that takes the Cartório out of the picture, except to record the certificate that the Consulate gives you.  Much easier, compared to the Cartório horror stories we read here.
If that's not possible, and you're in the US  and your partner is in Brazil, the next best thing is for your partner to go through the list of required documents face to face with a person of authority at the Cartório, understand exactly what they're expecting to see, and report back to you so that you can pull it together before you leave.  That satisfies two requirements for dealing successfully with Brazilian bureaucracy:   face to face contact, and showing them what they expect.
Good luck!

The following link. lays out the US Embassy Rules for Marriage to a Brazilian....unless something has changed adhere to the Rules........

https://br.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se … formation/