Migrate from Malaysia to NZ

Hello all!

My name is Jasper and I live in Selangor, Malaysia.  I graduated with BEng Mechanical Engineering. Previous job was Project Engineer(M&E) and Intern for 2 years. Currently, I'm working as Business Operations Manager in a FMCG company.

I plan to have a change in environment and career. After numerous research, I have decided to work in New Zealand (Wellington / Bay of Plenty if possible).

I have gone through the immigration website and have some idea of visa applicable to me which is Residence Visa(SMC) and Work to Residence Visa. However, it is impossible for me to obtain the minimum EOI points which is 160 at the moment without securing a job offer. Hence, both options would require me to secure a job offer before applying.

It would be extremely helpful if anyone from Malaysia or anywhere else in the world who managed to migrate to NZ using these two method could share their experience. Any help or comments are highly appreciated. 

Cheers!

Your research has been on the right way. However, unfortunately, its very rare that you get a direct job offer from NZ based on your expertise. Almost all the engineering employers need the candidate to be present in NZ prior to hiring them.  Based on your search and the available jobs, you can plan a pre-visit to NZ as a tourist and seek the available opportunities and probably meet the employers.  You may find your way. Best of luck !

Thank you very much for your input. I fully agree that it is very difficult to land a job offer as a immigrant. I've been rejected numerous times since. Hopefully I could be invited for an interview so I could inform them that I am willing to fly in NZ to meet them if necessary. Cheers!

Hopefully I could be invited for an interview so I could inform them that I am willing to fly in NZ

If you're that keen, you don't necessarily have to wait for an invitation from an employer.  You can apply for an independent visit visa and come here yourself to explore opportunities that may be of your interest. It is highly unlikely that you may get an employer's invitation because there is an enormous amount of candidate sitting idle in NZ and waiting for the right opportunity.

Hello to all, I left Malaysia in the late 1980's just after the stockmarket melt down, had a tertiary qualification but no money. I managed to borrow $5000 from friends and relatives, bought a plane ticket to try my luck in NZ. In those days the immigration criteria for newcomers was quite different. My building degree and occupation was in the so called 'Priority List'. After numerous letter of applications and 4 months of trying, the money very nearly ran out and I have even booked my return ticket. Then in the last minute of desperation I managed to land a job in the Bay of Plenty.
My wife and I worked and saved hard, we made this country our new home. Three NZ born children all grown up and have good jobs. Through saving and smart investment, we now have a comfortable life, I am looking forward to retirement.

Thank you very much for your input! I've visited Rotorua few months back during Chinese New Year, absolutely beautiful place and loved the lakes. I do have an interview lined up on Friday for a company in Wellington. I really do hope I would be able to move to NZ.

Do you mind if I could PM you some questions about living costs and how to get settled down in NZ? Hope you could advice a fellow Malaysian here.

Cheers!