Coriander(koriander) and curry leaves

Hi everyone,

Does any one have an idea where would i find koriander and curry leaves in Budapest at a reasonable price . Also any market for good raw fresh fish to buy

We saw some Koriander or as we call it, Cilantro for sale  at Sel Kalman Ter but they were asking 600 Forints a bunch! Crazy expensive.
It was the piac on Feny Utca near the Mammut Mall in Buda.
Sometimes Tesco sells it and other times I can't find it anywhere.

ATM we are growing a large pot full on our windowsill flower pot.
I brought seeds over with me from the states.
It is possible to find small starter plants here and there in garden shops but not always.
I brought over some dried in a can from the states but it is not the same as fresh grown.
Good luck,if you find some, please let me know too.
It is going to take at least one more month before my little garden is ready and I'm dying for some fresh salsa .
On the bottom floor of the large market hall they sell fresh fish.
We are going over to the market hall today,I'll keep my eyes open for any vendors who might be selling cilantro.
600 F is allot when regular parsley is between 35 to 60 forints a bunch.

Hello!

You can find fresh Koriander in the Asia Grocery Shop (the name is with something like world flavours) right next to the Great Market Hall (Fovam Ter), the cost is arround 220ft.

Yes, they sold koriandor inside the great hall maret as well.
It was 230 forints.
Face the front of the market and walk through the first entrance and it's about the 2nd or 3rd stall, Chinese people selling items.

Thanks guy . Got the Coriander finally and its reasonable too . Finally back to making homemade Indian food .

For future reference,  Tesco sell both.

mariarodrigues1993 wrote:

Thanks guy . Got the Coriander finally and its reasonable too . Finally back to making homemade Indian food .

That's good, where did you finally purchase it?
It's almost salsa making time around here and my little shoots are not growing as fast I I'd like.

The Turkish supermarket on the east side of Janos Pal Papa tér where the 24 trams go is very good for bulk spices, too. I have Indian friends who use the one recommended, but to me it seems pricey. (Perhaps better quality, I dunno.)

I "scored" big time today.
We went over to LIdl today on the corner of Rottenbiller and King st. In the 6th.
For a measly 379 F we bought a nice big planet of Koriander in a pot with roots . Only one was left after we got ours.
We have been growing some in our window flower pot but what we picked up today is much larger and stronger flavor then ours.

For anyone looking for Indian products or more non-traditional items, check out

Szép Kis India International Exotic Market
Address: Budapest, Wesselényi u. 36, 1072
Phone: (1) 413 6734

They have two floors and also sell Indian clothes.

BudaBaB wrote:

For anyone looking for Indian products or more non-traditional items, check out

Szép Kis India International Exotic Market
Address: Budapest, Wesselényi u. 36, 1072
Phone: (1) 413 6734

They have two floors and also sell Indian clothes.

It's OK that one but not the best. The side streets in the "Jewish quarter" are better for these things, but they tend not to have websites and telephone numbers. Lot of Khazak and some Afghani around there, it requires a pair of walking boots to explore and find out for yourself.

for sides, Aldi sometimes have poppadoms and naan bread and so on on themed weeks worth picking up when they have them, to stick in the freezer when you can't be bothered to get the palacsinka gép out to make your own. Aldi also at the moment is far the best for basmati rice.

For myself, I tend to accompany a good curry with a pint of India Pale Ale, heathen that I am. Neither the Dreher nor the Soproni is quite like an English IPA but getting close, I think the Soproni is better. Both are very hoppy, as an IPA should be, I think the Soproni is better but depends on your taste. But then I worked in pubs for many years, and as we say, "A bad pint is never far away, when you drink Greene King IPA".

Oh now I have become Michael Jackson. No, not that one, the one who writes about beer.

It's been really almost impossible lately to find any fresh spinach in the stores or farmers markets.
Yesterday we found a lady selling fresh chard . Bought some, it was fantastic.
First time I saw that for sale fresh in the market.
If I had a garden, I know what I would be growing, lots of curly greens.

mariarodrigues1993 wrote:

That's good . Finally you buy it.

Hi

We came recently from india.

Can you please help me where can we get fresh coriander?

There is one vendor in the great market hall who I see sells it.
We grow our own in a window box.
Have a nice little crop ATM.

Great thanks for the reply.
How your little crop growing planning to buy one for myself?