Buy a property

Hello Everyone
My name is Ana, Im Portuguese and Im currently living in Athens. I work in UK.
I would like to know how easy/difficult it is for an EU citizen buy a property in Athens.
It would be my first property, is it difficult to get a Mortgage in Greece? Which percentage would you need to give upfront? What are the other charges ( tax lawyer notary)? All my economic records are from England, would it be worth to ask for a mortgage in a British bank?
I read many articles saying different things and Im a bit confused where to start.

Hello,well,Im quite sure that you would be totally unable to take a loan from a Greek bank,capital controls are still in place,the banks have a liquidy problem,Greeks cannot take even three thousand from them.If you want to buy you must have the cash for the purchase,the transfer tax,the symvoliographo,(like solicitor)the lawyer,other costs on top such as small taxes here and there.Buy now if you are intending to with cash as prices have gone up in Athens and the islands and will continue to do so.bargains are still out there,25.000 for a small apartment which needs doing up in Athens.Im in Egaleo,ten mins from the center on the metro,we have 2 metros actually to use close by each other and there are still some bargains to be had,its away from the crazy center,a more family area with a park.I was in Loutraki the other day,by the sea with mountains and I saw some real bargains in the widows of agents,french are buying up apartments there.I hope you get the cash and get yourself a bargain.

Hello
I am interested in buying apartment in working class area of athens, or other large nice city, with good local stores, cafes etc, but safe. Please can you recommend areasapproximate price guides and resources.  Ideally looking for investment apartment to rent out when I am in other countries working.  I'm fromUK but live in San Mateo CA
Thank you
R

You will see from a previous post of mine that Forbes recently voted Keramikos,a suburb of Athens as one of the very best anywhere on the planet,its arty,alternative,friendly and tourists are now making a bee-line for it whilst visiting Athens,its obviously going to get more expensive for property so might be a good idea to jump in now while prices are still affordable,Ive been there and it certainly is nice.Its just a few stops from the center.great for renting whilst you are away.I would buy there.You can look on line at whats for sale and there is the Crisi Efcaria paper to buy which is also on line or speak with property agents who you will have to pay a fee to.Wherever you buy dont take too long as prices are rising fast,you can still catch that bargain.

ryanoliver wrote:

Hello
I am interested in buying apartment in working class area of athens, or other large nice city, with good local stores, cafes etc, but safe. Please can you recommend areasapproximate price guides and resources.  Ideally looking for investment apartment to rent out when I am in other countries working.  I'm fromUK but live in San Mateo CA
Thank you
R

Hi Ryan, I have also recently purchased in Athens for that reason and also obtained a golden visa (residency to live in Europe) I am not sure about your budget. Mine is 250,000 Euro and I am also thinking of putting it on Airbnb. I have a good lawyer that helped me out during the process as well

Ana Jacome wrote:

Hello Everyone
My name is Ana, Im Portuguese and Im currently living in Athens. I work in UK.
I would like to know how easy/difficult it is for an EU citizen buy a property in Athens.
It would be my first property, is it difficult to get a Mortgage in Greece? Which percentage would you need to give upfront? What are the other charges ( tax lawyer notary)? All my economic records are from England, would it be worth to ask for a mortgage in a British bank?
I read many articles saying different things and Im a bit confused where to start.

Hi Ana, I have also recently purchased in Athens for that reason and also obtained a golden visa (residency to live in Europe) I am not sure about your budget. Mine is 250,000 Euro and I am also thinking of putting it on Airbnb. I have a good lawyer that helped me out during the process as well. I purchased my property in Neo Pysiko