English (and French) speaker, prospects in Colombia?

I'm visiting in a few months, but people keep telling me I'll love it and want to stay. My Spanish is currently poor, though of course improving it then immersing myself is a priority.

What I'd like to know is, how might my marketable skills (lots of IT, writing/journalism, some design and graphics, mostly) might translate without fluent Spanish? I've given thought to going the start-up route, something that I can handle the language barrier online, but I'm open to working with locals, or expats if any have room for such skills.

I am also wondering what sort of income (in CDN, USD or COP) might be considered sufficient to live, well, about as well as I could as an IT director or senior tech person here? I write as a sideline, but don't want to rely on royalties just yet.

And how much should I be aiming for, minimum, if I am also supporting others? (A mother and two adult children who should find their own work sooner or later.)

Any advice/anecdotes/links appreciated!

Dear Dr. Miskatonic,

Welcome to the Colombia forums of expat.com ....

Besides teaching English or starting a business (difficult without Spanish), prospects in South America are bleak for a non-Spanish speaker.

I'd suggest taking a TEFL course now .. while also learning Spanish .. in advance of the move.  Enough Spanish, preferably, to manage a job interview to teach English.

Teaching English is probably way below your North American pay grade, but you may have to see this situation as a long-term process .. rather than finding the ideal situation right off the plane.

Your ideal location as a Gringo seeking work .. is Bogotá.

cccmedia in Depto. de Nariño

Thanks for your insights, I'll give them serious consideration.

At the same time, being a digital nomad can mean establishing an online business wherever, serving wherever and all over. I've had the odd notion for start-ups in Canada, but generally avoided giving them much thought on account of I prefer the writing life here and I am vaguely allergic to capitalism.

That said, moving to another country might just be the incentive I need.

I'll be considering all options, including starting business here (Montréal, Québec, Canada) before moving, or trying to have something established before I am sandals on the ground.

I'll also be actively looking here for potential business partners/sympathetic interests/opportunities for more than just myself.

My skills lie far more in tech and ideas than they do in day-to-day management or, ah, marketing. Which I hear is important these days. (Ahem.)

Whatever the case may end up being, I'm not going to rush it, keep working on publishing before travelling, and hopefully making new friends and acquaintances here on expat.com, which has been a wonderful resource thus far.

Thank you again, sincerely, for your time and valuable insight.

My blog.

My writing page.

You have  very strange ideas, even if you are 100% fluent in Spanish  if you think you can come to Colombia and just get work for you yourself and your mother , when there are milions of University graduates struggling to find work at even the minimum wage of less than $300 US a month.

Sure, if you put up your own money and invest in a "start Up" and employ your self and your family to work internationally by Internet.

And then there is the issue of dong work in Colombia. hiring locals, paying all the benefits, workingby all the laws, paying off the right people.

Chances are you would lose any money you have invested.

Who the hell would even think of bringing their mother to Colombia, unless you wanted to put her in a private nursing home, with a private nurse which would be way cheaper  (25 to 35% of North America)
than in a developing country, but still cost you substantially.

This is a third world country man.

You are not trolling are you?

Ohh. I see..another Naive Canuck posting..figures

Colombia is no place to bring a family..unless you have a fortune 500 company backing you up as part of a transfer.

I have worked as an expat all over the world, 8 different with oil and gas companies, and the family thing wears pretty thin, even with a gated community, private schools and chauffeur and daily food allowance all paid for by the company. Cant imagine anyone trying to bring a family here on their own.

Colombia is a place for old retired gringos looking for younger women, young single  backpackers and desperate >Venezuelan refugees.

Not a place you wanna bring a family.

Wow.... amigo, Quechimba...take it easy, man. Why are you so down on Colombia? You sound like an experienced traveler, which puzzles me why you haven't fired it out yet?  Colombia is poor, sure, but even in Colombia there are people with money and successful business, both Colombians and Foreigners alike.  Just like in the U.S. we have poor and homeless too.    I've been in Colombia for 4 yeas, came with nothing, have a beautiful family, two baby boys, live in a 10-room mansion with a pool on 45 acres now.  Am 50 years old, worked all my roller-coaster life, and love it. I plan to stay in Colombia doing great work surrounded with beautiful people that make up my team, building a nonprofit to serve others.  The  minute I became a minimalist and stop 'pursuing' happiness, that's when I found peace, and then happiness found me. I love the people in my life, I love my home, I love my mornings getting up ever day too solve problems and meet challenges. My needs re met and it's an exciting life in beautiful Colombia.  Maybe I can help, brother.  Why the bitterness man?  Life is good.   Sounds like in your case you have all the money you need, probably are highly educated and bright. What's the problem? Look me up, let's chat.  You too, Doc.  Doc, my advise....come open minded to visit, don't come with a purpose in mind just yet. If you're too focus you'll discard much of what you see.  Just come explore and enjoy, visit the rural areas. In my opinion, why come to Colombia if you're going to live in a city?  Look me up. private message me... I want you both to love Colombia and be as happy here as I am.

glengalindo wrote:

Wow.... amigo, Quechimba...take it easy, man. Why are you so down on Colombia? You sound like an experienced traveler, which puzzles me why you haven't fired it out yet?  Colombia is poor, sure, but even in Colombia there are people with money and successful business, both Colombians and Foreigners alike.  Just like in the U.S. we have poor and homeless too.    I've been in Colombia for 4 yeas, came with nothing, have a beautiful family, two baby boys, live in a 10-room mansion with a pool on 45 acres now.  Am 50 years old, worked all my roller-coaster life, and love it. I plan to stay in Colombia doing great work surrounded with beautiful people that make up my team, building a nonprofit to serve others.  The  minute I became a minimalist and stop 'pursuing' happiness, that's when I found peace, and then happiness found me. I love the people in my life, I love my home, I love my mornings getting up ever day too solve problems and meet challenges. My needs re met and it's an exciting life in beautiful Colombia.  Maybe I can help, brother.  Why the bitterness man?  Life is good.   Sounds like in your case you have all the money you need, probably are highly educated and bright. What's the problem? Look me up, let's chat.  You too, Doc.  Doc, my advise....come open minded to visit, don't come with a purpose in mind just yet. If you're too focus you'll discard much of what you see.  Just come explore and enjoy, visit the rural areas. In my opinion, why come to Colombia if you're going to live in a city?  Look me up. private message me... I want you both to love Colombia and be as happy here as I am.

I dont sugar coat things. I tell it like it is

You wanna lie to some **** from Montreal, they come here with their family and run back home with their tail between their legs after they witness the first sicario assasination

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Language
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I talked to my Colombian friend about this guys post and he says "esta Loco..muy Loco"...

Again... I've been coming to Colombia since 2007, been living here for four years, no incidents. Yes, I see them in the news, but all is well in my family's life.  Why do you call him or anyone a schmuk?  dude... take it easy, man...

You live in Manizales, Quechimba?  Man, if you live in Manizales, then you know how calm this region is, how many universities and medical schools are in the area, how clean it is, what great weather we have, how inexpensive it is, how beautiful it is.....    I live in Chinchina. It's pretty damm good.... Again, I love living here with my kids and wife. All is well, couldn't be happier.

Yeah my friend says you are crazy too ja ja

[Post under review]

Hello Miskatonic,

Read your blogs here. Maybe I can help you.

I'm Brian and live in Canada, previously in Toronto, ON, and now in Fredericton, NB.

I have been to Medellin, Antioquia, Colombia (pop. about 3,800,000) 5 times previously between 2010-2012, and really loved it.

Forget Bogota, they call it the freezer, you wont like it, trust me.

Medellin has an average daily temperaturei70-82F, not too hot, and not too cold, Medellin is called the city of eternal spring.

Anyways, moving right along, you should check out this company called Andovar, it is located in the area of El Poblado which is in the wealthy area of Medellin. Their Andovar company website is: www.Andovar.com They all work in English there, which is great, and it is an international company with offices in various countries around the world. Check it all out on their company website.
They would probably welcome your I.T. background with open arms there and would pay you very well for your IT/digital/technical knowledge & services. The fact that you speak fluent English and French would be a big bonus. You can take fast-track total immersion type Spanish language courses very easy at a language school just down the street or if you want to speed up the process you could even hire a private tutor to get you up to speed fast. You can live in El Poblado or Laureles  which are the  wealthy residential & commercial & banking areas of the city of Medellin, or you can live in Envigado or Sabaneta which are upper middle-class suburbs of the city. They have 6-10 state-of-the-art modern shopping malls and a modern ultra-clean metro (subway) system there too.  The people there are very open, warm, friendly, educated, and hard working. They have about 5 different universities there.
You can make friends there very easily.

If you want, you could also start up an online business there very easily.

You could even start up your own private English Language School there, or if you want, you could teach English online via Skype - either part-time or full-time.

You could also start up an eco-tours business, or a bilingual travel/tour/sightseeing business.

Let me know if you need any more ideas or contacts in Medellin.

You can also rent out executive-style fully furnished deluxe & medium-priced apartments/condominiums there at all kinds of different sizes, price ranges and locations. 
I dealt with First American Realty Medellin and they are excellent, very professional, and I would recommend them highly.

As a Canadian, I have on-the-ground personal experience in Medellin and it is a truly fantastic city,
trust me.

Medellin, in my opinion,  is the best place in all of Colombia. My opinion, I think that Medellin is the crown jewel of Colombia.

Good luck.

Brian

Forget all the bad things you ever heard or read about Colombia, They are just scare stories. It is a fantastic beautiful country with open, warm, friendly, happy, wonderful, educated, hard working people. You can read all kinds of recent traveler & sightseeing reviews on Colombia and especially on Medellin on Trip Advisor.com

Of course,  Medellin is just one (big) city in Colombia and there are many other beautiful cities, towns, villages, areas to see there too.

Don't even think about it, just pack your suitcase, jump on a plane, and go....you will never regret it.
It will literally change your life forever and you will make lots of new friends there. I did.

Brian

Now there's a positive helpful constructive piece of advise. Good to hear! Thank you for helping someone else enjoy Colombia, the gem that it is.

I traveled all over the world (United States, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, Germany, Austria, Japan, Hong Kong) , and Colombia was by far the best & most friendly place I ever went. COLOMBIA ROCKS !!!

You can check out all kinds of fully furnished executive-style apartments & condominiums for rent with First American Realty Medellin ....their website is: www.farinternational.com
...I stayed in their apartments 4 times...perfect....and really nice people too...very professional
...just tell them Brian from Canada referred you to them

By the way, I also heard that Manizales and Pereira are really nice smaller-size cities too. You might also want to visit those cities too.

Cartagena, Barranquilla, and Santa Marta on the Caribbean Coast are way too hot to live there for the long-term......around 95F to 105F every day......too hot for Canadians....but very nice for just a short  beach holiday....Santa Marta is the best.....with Tyrona National Park & really beautiful beaches & parks right next door to Santa Marta

Brian

You could probably even get a job teaching English full-time or part-time at the University of Medellin in Medellin, Antioquia, Colombia

....or at the University of San Martin in Sabaneta (in Medellin)  on the outskirts of the city of Medellin

....they even have an English Language School right there in Sabaneta called Universal Language Academy (www.ula.co) where you could also teach English (and maybe French too)...and they have branches of that school all over Medellin

Don't worry !!!  Be Happy !!!  Colombia Rocks !!!  :)

Firstly, I never said I was bringing my mother. I said I would be supporting a mother and children. Who are Colombian.

Secondly, while I certainly sympathize with everyone looking for careers, if I may be immodest for a moment, I am not everybody, I am not fresh from university.

I have been a skilled IT professional at primarily the executive level since 1992. That's 26 years experience at very high levels, sensitive positions, world-class tech firms like SoftImage and Discreet Logic being examples.

I don't wish to sound arrogant, but I am, in short, in the top 1 per cent of the top potential candidates for most any position I might apply for.

I stopped working in IT (after transitioning from such large tech firms to charitable contracts with medical establishments, a centre for deaf and crippled children, other causes I supported with my time at the expense of my income) because I was tired of the field, was physically very ill for some years, and wanted to quietly heal and write, and enjoy what I did rather than merely being excellent at it.

As to whether I am just another clueless Canuck, I would not be qualified to judge.

Respectfully.

If I am not doing IT (and being remunerated accordingly, the only reason I would return to the field would be to be able to support myself and my Colombian loved ones) very well and provide abundant security and prospects for them.

Teaching English is also, if I am honest, probably not my forte. My English is post-doctoral but my teaching skills are admittedly not highly refined, and very rusty.

Truthfully, I think I may have a model for an online and on-the-ground business that could very well prosper.

At least, I have the idea, know where I am 'borrowing' the business models and tech from, how they interact etc., (see 26 years in the field), but I don't have a particularly good mind for finance. I am in fact somewhat anti-capitalist.

Luckily for me some of my old colleagues work with or run a number of accelerators and VC firms, and while I would not approach them for funding (it would feel weird to me) I certainly will mine them for advice and best practices.

And I am even more fortunate in that my pesky little brother happens to be a VP with Black Rock, which as I understand it is a global titan in the financial and investment fields. In other words, when I finish this business plan, he will be the first to see it. If he says it's shit I'll forget it. If he sees holes, he would be the one to fill them. If he says it's solid, I know that I'm on the right track, will co-opt him as my business expert/CFO/whatever in his spare time (big brother has its perks) and give it a go.

If not, I'll stick to writing, live much more modestly and, in truth, be completely fine with that except for my desire to support others (including creating jobs in Colombia, for one).

Thank you kindly for your advice.

If I make a run at this business plan, it will pretty much require that I begin in Medellín, and so live there as well (naturally). I really do want to spend some time on the coast, Santa Marta, etc., and particularly the Tyrone (sp?) national park. The photos I've seen of it are simply breathtaking, and I happen to have some charming company (who look so much better in or out of bikinis than I will in anything, ever) to share it with.

But yes, that does sound a touch sweltering for a Montréaler.

On the other hand, 'the city of eternal spring' sounds just perfect, climate wise. Spring and Autumn being my favourite seasons.

Again, thank you for your advice, link, and kind words.

Again (I am working backwards from the bottom of this thread) thank you for your kind words and excellent advice, particularly coming from a Canadian perspective (even if you did come from Toronnah) to which I can relate.

I may pick your brains in a private message about this idea I am nurturing and thus far failing to see the fatal flaw (a good sign, but it's early days yet) about certain details you may likely be more qualified than native Colombians to answer about their country. (In short, I am seeing a hole, and planning to see if I can fill it.)

As for haters, if I gave too much sweat to everyone who ever wished I'd have a s****y day, or fail at something, or burst out in boils, I'd be a desiccated husk.

And everyone assumes they know more about strangers than they do, and that likely includes me, though I do make a sincere effort not to take such attitudes.

But no one's perfect, least of all me.

Again, thanks.

Ross from Montréal. (Go Habs, or suck for a few years for the lottery picks for f's sake!)

Heh Ross,

It sounds like your previous I.T. skills and experience would be in high demand in Medellin.
If you want, you could even possibly write travel articles for travel magazines in Colombia and even the Colombian Tourism Department, and of course travel around Colombia to get yourself some good travel writing ideas.
I am now living in Fredericton, NB. I had enough of Toronto to last me a life time. What a rat race boring existence in Toronto ! Montreal is much better. Actually, I like Quebec City the best and would live there in a heartbeat if I spoke fluent French which I do not.
Other than that, I would move to Colombia tomorrow if I could.
There are of course beautiful places to visit and travel to all over the world, but countries fit for longer term living are few and far between.
You would get tired really fast of lying on sun-baked beaches all the time, that would wear thin very quickly, besides all that sun is no good for you....lol.
In my humble opinion, Colombia and Argentina are the best countries in all of South America and Central America too for that matter.
And Medellin, Antioquia is the best city hands-down in all of South America and Central America. Lots of Americans and quite a few Canadians too are moving there for business or retirement reasons or for just a much more relaxed and happy lifestyle.
Actually, I even met a couple of Canadians in the supermarket one day when I was down there. At that time, there were a lot of Canadian mining engineers working in Colombia on 1-year contracts. Those shopping malls in Medellin are unbelievable....they are better than the ones in Canada.
One mall in El Poblado/Medellin (Santa Fe Shopping Mall) even has an ice skating rink right there inside the mall. Wow, even Canada does not have that.
All the Colombian people I met there were very happy, super friendly, open, warm, honest, educated, hard working people.
Most of the educated, upper class, wealthier people live in the 2 wealthy neighbourhoods of
El Poblado and Laureles, but you could also live in the upper middle-class neighbourhoods of Envigado and Sabaneta, and a few others. 
Yes, they have crime in Medellin, but that is the same in every big city all over the world, including Paris, London, Rome, Naples, Sicily....lol....but all you have to do to stay safe is take the advice of the locals who live there and take the normal everyday precautions to avoid trouble.
I went there 5 times and never once had any trouble....actually,  I was so paranoid the first week that I wore my money belt everywhere I went, and after that I took it off, it seemed ridiculous.
Just don't walk at around alone in bad areas late at night, in fact don't live in bad areas, don't associate with unsavoury types, don't walk around wearing expensive jewellery and carrying a lot of money in your pocket and toting an expensive smart phone and laptop computer, and you will be fine. But that probably applies in any big city in Europe and the United States, and a few in Canada too. My point is: don't get too paranoid. You gotta live your life too, enjoy, and relax.
By the way, the coffee down there is fantastic, Juan Valdez Coffee Shops are everywhere, and their ice cream coffee and chocolate croissants are to die for....it's worth flying on down there just for that.
The 3 best shopping malls in El Poblado (Medellin) are El Tesoro Shopping Mall, and  Santa Fe Shopping Mall, and Oviedo Shopping Mall. They even have computer & hi-tech shopping malls.
Medellin was voted the most innovative city in the world a few years ago (2011/2012).
And Colombian people were voted the happiest people in the world just a few short years ago.
Check out that international company I told you about called Andovar....www.Andovar.com....they are located right there in El Poblado in Medellin.....you could end up working there very easily,
I think, and you would probably make lots of money working there too....or you could start up your own company. I'm actually a Boston Bruins fan....the Leafs suck, always whining, always losing...lol
Toronto has no soul.....and it's just another big ugly city ......with a lot of very nasty & selfish self-centred people living there...lol....give it a miss....I hated it.
You will absolutely love Medellin, everybody who goes there falls completely  in love with the city and the people...it's like magic......like a giant magnet drawing you in. 
Yeah Ross, forget those cities on the Caribbean Coast for long term living...too damn hot........Medellin is the perfect city......70-80F all year round.....and you can drink the water there too, there are no hurricanes, no tornados, no bugs, no mudslides, no tsunamis, no volcanic eruptions.
It's situated in a valley in the mountains at around 4,800 ft above sea level.
You can also visit a perfectly-preserved 1500's/1600's  colonial village called Santa Fe de Antioquia which is located about 90 minutes drive by car or bus outside of Medellin. ...they have tours for tourists going there every day.

Brian

However, be aware that the air quality is very poor in the Medellin valley.

The air quality is not that bad......I went there 5 times and I never even noticed.

In any case, it's a lot better than Beijing, Shanghai, Mumbai, Mexico City, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), etc. where you pretty well have to wear a mask.

Besides that, you can live in nice residential areas on the outskirts of the city of Medellin in areas such as Sabaneta, Rio Negro (near the airport), etc. .

Yes, the air is breathable outside the bowl of the city. La Ceja for example and the surrounding Pueblos are delightful.

glengalindo wrote:

Another thing lots of compulsive liars and scammers  in Colombia..expats and locals..

No bitterness at all. I enjoy my life here...

Just dont appreciate it when people give others one sided view points..like all is rosy here, and you can bring your adult children and they will all get jobs as graphic arts designers making $50,000 a year when I know at least a half dozen young people with graphic Arts back ground  (AS AN EXAMPLE))who are unemployed or scrapping by on Salario minimo 800 COP a month (about $350 Canadian)  or half that because they work part time-without any beneifits.

Sorry to use the word "Schmuk"for the OP. Nothing personal intended.

Working here  as a mining engineer or petroleum engineer on contract is a different experience. You work 60 hours a week and dont have time to see the place. I have had my stint working in a mine on a shut down here. Coming here as a tourist is a different experience.

Bringing a family here without any corporate support or back up is a thing of pure fantasy. I wonder how much experience the OP has with living in a developing country?

Also, what type of non profit organization are you runningn if you are (supposedly)  liviing in a 10 room mansion (LOL) . I smell something fishy here... one way or the other..Ja Ja

I would rather do my volunteer work with Marcos Kaseman , Angeles De Medellin , Pequeño Corozon and friends here in Manizales..or with the Kogi people I know up inthe Sierra Nevada de  Santa Marta...thank you.. wont be contributing to your cushy life style..Ja Ja

The air quality in Medellin is horrible. The second worst in South America after Cochabamba Bolivia.

All you have to do is take a trip up high in Las Palmas and look at the brown sludge enveloping the city

I got out of Medellin 4 years ago after living there 2 years because (in order of priority)

1. Bad air quality. My health is the most important things to me . Dont want CPOD or Lng Cancer.thanks!
2. Trancones -too much traffic and congestion
3. To many crazy foreigners-especially middle aged and older single males-moving there. Laureles, Sabanata and Envigado all turniing into Poblados-and who wants to live in the Comunas, where you have to watch your back daily. Or way up in Rio Negro or La Ceja where it is l lke living in a Pueblo? And I dint come to Colombia to hang around other Canadians

One thing I will say is Medellin probably has the best climate (normally) not too hot and not to cold

But Manizales, Bucaramanga  and North Side of Armenia are better for quality of life (Despite Mani being too rainy and BUca too hot) . And I would say Pereira as well , if you can find a good barrio.

Perfect in climate..in Medellin..lOL Pretty bad flooding a few days ago

Quechimba wrote:

The air quality in Medellin is horrible. The second worst in South America after Cochabamba Bolivia.

All you have to do is take a trip up high in Las Palmas and look at the brown sludge enveloping the city

I got out of Medellin 4 years ago after living there 2 years because (in order of priority)

1. Bad air quality. My health is the most important things to me . Dont want CPOD or Lng Cancer.thanks!
2. Trancones -too much traffic and congestion
3. To many crazy foreigners-especially middle aged and older single males-moving there. Laureles, Sabanata and Envigado all turniing into Poblados-and who wants to live in the Comunas, where you have to watch your back daily. Or way up in Rio Negro or La Ceja where it is l lke living in a Pueblo? And I dint come to Colombia to hang around other Canadians

One thing I will say is Medellin probably has the best climate (normally) not too hot and not to cold

But Manizales, Bucaramanga  and North Side of Armenia are better for quality of life (Despite Mani being too rainy and BUca too hot) . And I would say Pereira as well , if you can find a good barrio despite  .

I think a budget of 1500 usd shou be the bare minimum and that depends on what estrado and city you will be living in. I would suggest an apartment but you may have to place a 6 month deposit down, depending on the city and leasing agent or person . Colombia is structured on a class system..1 bro g the lowest and 6 being the highest..level 6 pays more for utilities and the areas are more upscale in most cities. Teachers here make about 500 usd a month, entry level physcians are about a 1000 usd a month..colombia is very formal and there are no good short cuts to paper work.

Items I would suggest you bring, quality linen, extension cords, a house phone, and any item that makes you a little more comfortable. I have been traveling back and forth for 10 years and finally decided it was time to make the move permanent..

"bring, quality linen, extension cords, a house phone"

I cant think what barrio you are buried in but these are all items which are easily available anywhere in Colombia at low cost.

By the way, the rating system is called Estrato and it is property evaluation not a class system.

Yeah, well you could always move to Spain or the Canary islands where the air is clean.

By the way, I have to wonder why so many American men are moving to Medellin....it must be that ratio of 8 beautiful single women of all ages for every single guy irregardless of your age and what you look like.

The average American/Canadian guy with money is like a rock star in Colombia.

Back in the USA/Canada, most women would not give an average guy like that (Joe the plumber) the time of day, and the women in the USA/Canada are so damn overly picky and demanding and they look and dress like slobs and act like divas and are constantly whining and complaining about everything under the sun, and on top of all of that, they do not even  really have all that much to offer the man themselves....what a joke....no wonder so many smart North American guys from the USA/Canada want to move to Colombia/Brazil/Ecuador/Argentina, . etc.

By the way, Mendoza, Argentina in the wine district of Argentina (located closer to the Chile border) 
is really, really nice. Check it out.

Not a class system suposedly, but ends up being one..

No offence, but with all the complaints about Colombia, why are you even living there ?

I guess anywhere is better than Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada, which is like Siberia in the winter (average winter temperature is around - 40C  to - 50C, give or take -10C) .....hahaha....I'm Canadian too (from Toronto).

You say the air is terrible in Medellin, but you lived there for 2 years....you say Manizales is too cold and Bucaramanga is too hot, etc., etc., etc.

Why don't you move to the Canary Islands-Spain ?.....mild temperatures, clean air, nice people, etc.

You seem to have very high standards for a guy from SK....hahaha....no offence

Brian

same as everywhere else...you're either rich or poor...or the working poor....hahaha

topperZZ99 wrote:

Yeah, well you could always move to Spain or the Canary islands where the air is clean.

By the way, I have to wonder why so many American men are moving to Medellin....it must be that ratio of 8 beautiful single women of all ages for every single guy irregardless of your age and what you look like.

The average American/Canadian guy with money is like a rock star in Colombia.

Back in the USA/Canada, most women would not give an average guy like that (Joe the plumber) the time of day, and the women in the USA/Canada are so damn overly picky and demanding and they look and dress like slobs and act like divas and are constantly whining and complaining about everything under the sun, and on top of all of that, they do not even  really have all that much to offer the man themselves....what a joke....no wonder so many smart North American guys from the USA/Canada want to move to Colombia/Brazil/Ecuador/Argentina, . etc.

By the way, Mendoza, Argentina in the wine district of Argentina (located closer to the Chile border) 
is really, really nice. Check it out.

Yeah all the gringos moving there driving up the price of Pu$$y and dieing young from lung cancer

Lots of more wholesome women in other parts of the country

yeah, we all know the real reason why so many gringos are moving or want to move to Medellin....simple....it's the women.....8 women for every guy...simple math...... but of course there are beautiful women living and working everywhere in Colombia......same in Brazil for that matter...... but Manizales, Pereira, Santa Marta are also really good smaller cities to live in or stay long-term....it's just a matter of what you want....hot climate or more moderate climate....but just remember, there is a very good reason why so many Colombian women want to move to Miami or Los Angeles....it might have something to do with the fact that the monthly average salary in Colombia is only around $ 400-500 per month and their future there in Colombia is not all that great....i guess their motto is "follow the money"........hahaha..... In a way, you can't blame that not all the women want to move to the USA, at least not the professional women (i.e. doctors, plastic surgeons, nurses, dentists, lawyers, engineers, airline pilots, business owners, corporate executives, etc.).