Planning to Retire in Da Nang Next Year

We're planning to retire in Vietnam next year due to my husband health. He had 2 strokes and not going back to work anymore. We won't be able to afford the cost of living here California with his small retirement money. We've been watching youtube about expats who currently lives in Vietnam and so far everything seems very positive especially the cost of living and food. Is it hard to apply for a 5 years visa in Vietnam?

To get a 5 year visa you or your husband will need to be Vietnamese or Viet Kieu. I see you speak Tagalog, therefore I presume you are Filipino, but what about your husband.

Keep in mind the tradeoffs.  Cost of living is cheap but health coverage isn't anywhere near US standards.

I am assuming that your husband is eligible for disability based Medicare after his two strokes regardless of his age.  Although Vietnamese medical treatment may be a lot less expensive than the full amount charged in the US, it still would be likely to be more expensive than the net cost of the same for someone on Medicare.  Minor visits and procedures are inexpensive but another stroke for your husband could result in a bill for several thousand US and Vietnamese hospitals expect to be paid cash.

My wife and I too would like to retire in Da Nang, but as I have had heart surgery myself, we face the same dilemma.

Thanks for all the responses. I know  Vietnam doesn't have good hospitals and healthcare system. Our plan is to come back every six months in the US for health check-ups. I heard and watched on TV that Thailand has a good health care systems and some doctors graduated here in the US. That's another option we're considering. It's not that far away from Vietnam. Actually, my husband doctor suggests that it might be a good idea. We'll be more relaxed and less stress. The cost of living is very cheap and the foods are healthier because it's more organics unlike here in the US. If you buy organic food here are way too expensive.:(

aimhigh888 wrote:

Thanks for all the responses. I know  Vietnam doesn't have good hospitals and healthcare system. Our plan is to come back every six months in the US for health check-ups. I heard and watched on TV that Thailand has a good health care systems and some doctors graduated here in the US. That's another option we're considering. It's not that far away from Vietnam. Actually, my husband doctor suggests that it might be a good idea. We'll be more relaxed and less stress. The cost of living is very cheap and the foods are healthier because it's more organics unlike here in the US. If you buy organic food here are way too expensive.:(

Chemicals in food is a big problem in Viet Nam. Farmers here LOVE chemicals.

Actually my commentary on Vietnamese medicine was not related to quality but the fact that you would need to pay the full uninsured price.  I have seen a few that were not, but most doctors in Vietnam are actually quite well educated.  The fact that you are most likely going to see those that speak English is effectively a filter in favor of those who have some overseas education.

I was born in America but am of Vietnamese descent. My relatives were farmers during the 50's and still are today. I have extensive knowledge of the food industry in both countries. I can assure  you that the food in Vietnam is not as healthy as in America. I am not talking about the actual  dishes and amount of fast food and unhealthy chain restaurants such as The Cheesecake Factory that reside in America. I'm talking about the components and what you are interested in;  mainly organic vegetables. A lot of the vegetables and produce are now coming from nearby China/Thailand/Cambodia. Every single one of those countries uses chemicals to speed up the growth process in addition to prolonging the shelf life. There is NO regulation whatsoever on the stuff that is coming in from these countries. Because they can grow stuff so much quicker with better yields, they are selling it for a fraction of what good  honest Vietnamese farmers are selling it for. My relatives used to travel to Saigon 4-5 times a week delivering their goods by  hundreds of kilos. Sadly it is down to 1-2 times a week now. Despite that, they will never ever spray or treat their produce and vegetables with cancer causing chemicals like the countries above. I can also assure you that there is not much regulation on the organic produce in Vietnam, and  if it is very cheap, it is not organic at all. Remember that even in America  where the regulations are much more strict than in Vietnam, farmers can still use pesticides and fertilizers on their organic products  as long as it's below a certain amount.

Vietnam, and especially Da Nang is a great place to live. However, it sounds like you may need to spend more time researching this life altering decision. Watching a couple expats on YouTube is not the best way to gauge how your life would be once you move here. Feel free to PM me with any specific  questions you may have.

Also, wouldn't having to purchase 4 round trip tickets a year for the both of you combined defeat the whole purpose of trying to take advantage of the lower cost of living in Vietnam? Those round trip tickets will add up very quickly.

Another consideration, I presume your husband is on  meds, so make sure these are available in VN. Mailing is unreliable in my experience.

You will have a very difficult time in Thailand unless you and your husband can show $20,000 without withdrawing in Thailand for minimum 6 months for visas.
The health care is wonderful but as your husband has pre existing issue and if you are over ,60 private insurance may be possible but expensive. If you want to live life until you die and are adventurous Vietnam is lovely and easier long term visas. Up to you. I am of the school to go for it. Luck to you whatever your choose.

I too am living in So Cal and planning on retiring in Da Nang in a few years. Well, that's where I plan to base out of anyways.
I believe the requirements for a 5 year visa which I do have is:
1: Born in Vietnam
2: Parents were born in Vietnam
3: Married to a Vietnamese living outside of Vietnam.
The produce might not be organic a most cases but there are more vegetables incorporated into the dishes than in California.

Ibizamari wrote:

You will have a very difficult time in Thailand unless you and your husband can show $20,000 without withdrawing in Thailand for minimum 6 months for visas.
The health care is wonderful but as your husband has pre existing issue and if you are over ,60 private insurance may be possible but expensive. If you want to live life until you die and are adventurous Vietnam is lovely and easier long term visas. Up to you. I am of the school to go for it. Luck to you whatever your choose.

It's 26,000 US not 20, transferred in and left in a bank account.

Thanks Canman63.

"Meeting the Financial Requirements for a Retirement Visa:
- Bank Account showing THB 800,000
- Monthly income of at least THB 65,000
- Combination (Bank Account + Income x 12 = THB 800,000)"

per this informational website

An excellent resource for Thai retirement and living is JC in Thailand membership website, only $10 a month, will answer any questions.

they have not been accepting most( not all) monthly income affidavits, therefore forcing the people to leave $800 k in the bank.
I know of retirees that had no problem in the past showing $65,000 per month,  but many offices are not accepting this anymore.
They want your. money, good luck to your family or whoever when u die, trying to get it. Corrupt cops just may say it was never there.
And this money ust be transferred in. And left for 2 months??? Before you can even apply for your visa.
It would be a cold day in hell before I left that kind of coin n the bank in Thailand. It's historically the most politically unstable country in the region.
I would go a different route, multi entry tourist visa, but I am not retiring there or think g of it.

The Vietnam system is pretty good.  Cambodia has the easiest , $290 retirement visa , Multi Entry , and renewable inside the country.

BUT ....”living “ in Cambodia doesn't appeal to me.

Malaysia & Phillipines have strict financial “bond” systems in place. They're pricey...but what happens as you say , if you snuff it OR mysteriously get deported for a minor incident. 

Yogis system is to move around a lot.    I've got a base here, just use 3 mth VOAs , Malaysia is free visa for 90 days, Bali free for 30 days or $30 for 60 days, Thailand similar, .....just become a minimalist, travel light and have some variety. 

Canman.....what's Langco beach like these days.. It was pretty good a few years back,,has it been overdeveloped, or still pretty good.

The bare.. or something like that wrote:

I've got a base here, just use 3 mth VOAs , Malaysia is free visa for 90 days, Bali free for 30 days or $30 for 60 days, Thailand similar, .....just become a minimalist, travel light and have some variety.

Remind me to get rich, dump the wife, then follow your lead.

Langko beach???? Never heard of it. I too travel light- backpack, no visa worries. I tend to get bored very quickly in Asia. Still have many countries to explore. I will never retire here, Canada is far too beautiful n the summer, but where I come from, ( ice road truckers) area, the winters are to be avoided, thus spending 4 months a year. But Danang really ticked the boxes for me, can't explain it, never experienced a city in Asia like it.
So much like where I live in Canada. I can walk around at night , and it's quiet, no traffic, etc. Smiling friendly faces. Back home now hoping to return.

Canman63 wrote:

Langko beach???? Never heard of it. I too travel light- backpack, no visa worries. I tend to get bored very quickly in Asia. Still have many countries to explore. I will never retire here, Canada is far too beautiful n the summer, but where I come from, ( ice road truckers) area, the winters are to be avoided, thus spending 4 months a year. But Danang really ticked the boxes for me, can't explain it, never experienced a city in Asia like it.
So much like where I live in Canada. I can walk around at night , and it's quiet, no traffic, etc. Smiling friendly faces. Back home now hoping to return.

you are doing exactly what ive been dreaming of

I love Toronto , born and raised here, but the winters are becoming ridiculous and I have no use for them anymore

I spent 1 montu in ho chi min last year, this time im doing the same only in Da nang

Da nang seems to check more boxes for me overall, lower cost of living, OCEAN, better air quality then Saigon (I hope) , and a few other things you mentioned

My goal is to start spending two months a year, and then 3 months a year abroad, most likely in asia

If I like da nang I will probably make it my go to winter getaway spot

Yogi007 wrote:

Canman.....what's Langco beach like these days.. It was pretty good a few years back,,has it been overdeveloped, or still pretty good.

Canman63 wrote:

Langko beach???? Never heard of it.

Lăng Cô beach is in Phú Lộc District, part of Thừa Thiên - Huế Province, at the base of Hải Vân Pass.  It's approximately 28 km north of Đà Nẵng. 

My great nephew was there last year, riding a motorbike from Đà Nẵng.  He said it's stunning scenery (weekday, not many tourists) and the beach was worth the look.  FWIW, he's in his 40s and had never seen Lăng Cô when it was nothing but a fishing village and no one living outside of the 100 km radius could understand the local dialect.