Question re residence

Hi, I have a question regarding my residence.
I have been here in NL for the last 20 years and got the 5-year residence that allows me to work in any country in EU. My question: Am I allowed to stay in NL even after my retirement? Pls be informed that I am a non-EU person, but acquired the status of permanent residence because I went through all exams, etc but did not get the Dutch nationality.
I repeat, I have a sort of renewed 5-year residence; I am allowed to work at any country at EU. If I would retire, am I allowed to stay in NL?
Thanks for your attention and answers. JM

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I'm not sure about this; only because you say you're Tunisian, but your details tell me you could be a Palestinian.  My issue is that some Palestinians do not have formal passports and live in many countries as refugees and I have no experience of how Holland deals with this.  That said, I would be surprised if Holland acted in a negative way.

So, assuming you have a current, recognised passport, my opinion is that you won't have any problem staying in Holland; the only issue I can see is that you will have to continue to renew your permanent residence permit every five years (cost you time and money).  The only issue I can think of is if you become a burden on the state, they may decline to renew your permit at the next expiry date, but assuming you've worked for the duration of your time in Holland, you'll have paid into the Dutch pension scheme, so that won't be the case.

If you're intending on staying in Holland, it may be worthwhile considering applying for Dutch nationality.

I wish you the best of luck.

Cynic
Expat Team