Birzebbuga

Hi,after searching for many properties we seem to have found a perfect one in Birzebbuga.Does anyone have any advise about the area for a young family? Are there any expats living there?
Thank you in advance

Birżebbuġa is a nice area, especially during the summer months. But this means that during the hot months, the place is usually crowded - and over-crowded in weekends. This is due to the fact that people go there for a stroll along the promenade enjoying a refreshing ice cream, or have lunch or dinner in one of the small restaurants that dot the seafront.
On a less positive note is the Freeport which at times could be a nuisance due to the sound of heavy machinery (gigantic tower cranes) loading and unloading containers aboard cargo ships. Another annoyance is the sound of low flying aircraft as Birżebbuġa is very close to the airport, and planes fly over this quaint village as they approach one of the runways.
Also, Birżebbuġa is located a stone-throw away from Marsaxlokk, another picturesque village famous for the Sunday open market and fish restaurants. However, this means that Birżebbuġa is in the proximity of the power station and the controversial permanent floating gas storage vessel.
As to expats living in the area, I don't think that there is a large community. The impression I have is that expats are mostly located in the neighbouring seaside village of Marsaskala, a short drive away.
Off Birżebbuġa, towards the airport In Ħal Far), there is a community of sub-Saharan migrants.
However, all in all, Birżebbuġa is a nice, safe, family-friendly, small village where everything is within walking distance, shops, school, restaurants, banks, church, police station, and even a small aparthotel. Most importantly, the cost of living in Birżebbuġa is cheaper than the more sought-after Sliema/Swieqi/St. Julian's area.

Abi1987 wrote:

Hi,after searching for many properties we seem to have found a perfect one in Birzebbuga.Does anyone have any advise about the area for a young family? Are there any expats living there?
Thank you in advance

When you say 'after searching for many properties' do you mean here in Malta physically or online?
If online, you can probably forget it, as it will have been let for the last few years, they never stop advertising a property and often it is with half a dozen agents who don't get told when it is let!
If you have actually seen it and spoken with the Landlord then have another look or two at different times of the week and also check if there are any holiday lets nearby which can get very, very noisy!

Ray

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply as you have,I have lots to think about 😬
Thanks again
Abi

I've spoken with the landlord but before this we also learnt about properties online! What a nightmare that is! I will ask about the holiday rental thing as I wouldn't of thought to! Thank you Ray
Abi

Just be aware that whilst you might ask, you may not get a wholly truthful answer!

Don't commit to anywhere without visiting the property and the area a few times.

Ray

Abi1987 wrote:

I've spoken with the landlord but before this we also learnt about properties online! What a nightmare that is! I will ask about the holiday rental thing as I wouldn't of thought to! Thank you Ray
Abi

Whatever you do don't agree on anywhere without seeing the property first otherwise you will probably be ripped off also you need to see the surrounding area, you must come over here first.
Good luck.

Visit the area at different times and on different days. Spend time roaming around to experience firsthand what goes around in the area.

After we viewed the house and signed the contract we moved to Malta 2 months later - and lots of furniture was gone or replaced with older ones. New matresses with plastic covers were exchanged with old matresses with sweat stains (or whatever) and even the good kitchen appliances have been disappeared when we arrived ...  :huh:
Invertory list is BS, better you make a lot of pictures as proof what was agreed on.

btw, Birzebbuga was not on our shortlist due to the permanent noise from the freeport and the "industrial view" of the coast. But there's a good infrastructure and rents are cheap, this is why many expats move there.

I was working near BBG for almost 2 years and think it's one of the most vivid places in the South. They have built a new waterpolo pool next to Pretty Bay (never found out, where this name derives from  :P ) and there's a new football stadium on the west side of the village.