Are the apartment with good sound insulation in Malta

Hi I want to go to malta but I work sometimes at night, and sleep at day, it depends,
I was waching the ad for apartment in malta, and everything seems old buildings.
I was worried if the apartment were quiet or if you had to hear your neighbours sounds
(sound insulation)
thanks

I have yet to come across an apartment that is sound insulated in Malta. Working at night may or may not be a problem depending on how much noise you will be making. If you're simply typing away at your computer or talking on the phone it shouldn't be a problem.

ander123 wrote:

Hi I want to go to malta but I work sometimes at night, and sleep at day, it depends,
I was waching the ad for apartment in malta, and everything seems old buildings.
I was worried if the apartment were quiet or if you had to hear your neighbours sounds
(sound insulation)
thanks

Good luck in trying to sleep during the day even in Gozo which is quieter it's still  can be noisy during the day.  There's plenty of new buildings on both islands.

Malta is one of the loudest places anywhere - in summer it sounds like a war zone with the ever present fireworks and just generally Malta and the Maltese are VERY LOUD.

We live in Siggiewi and its the least noisy place on Malta ime, but even here its hit and miss - people build all the time and start at 7 or earlier

well if i'm in a new building shouldnt it be okay

ander123 wrote:

well if i'm in a new building shouldnt it be okay

was it built by a competent builder? none of those here :)

Seriously though, first place we lived here was a brand new place - almost everywhere is being built up, we lived in the penthouse it was good.  And then they started building next door it was unbearable, I gave the guy 4 months of rent (what was left on my contract) and just left far away from the busy parts.

Modern buildings help naught when its huge fireworks or builders digging 5 stories into sandstone nearly 24/7

even in cities like birkir or marschascala  oe bugghiba ?
even if u can pay 800 euros for a one person appartment theres nowhere to have silence and not hearing ur neighbour talking throught the walls ?

ander123 wrote:

even in cities like birkir or marschascala  oe bugghiba ?
even if u can pay 800 euros for a one person appartment theres nowhere to have silence and not hearing ur neighbour talking throught the walls ?

It not so much noise from neighbours more from traffic, construction work and people talking out in the street, Maltese are very loud in fact when we first moved to Gozo, where they tend to be quieter,we thought they were having an argument!   You may find an older property better.

thanks, any quiet place in malta to advice ?

In mosta for example we had 2 months - surrounded by many locations each with festivals - of near constant DAY TIME fireworks.

The fireworks are not made to look nice, they are made to be loud and be heard for miles.  So no building will help you.

Now I live in Siggiewi, its lovely and calm in the UCA - except the UCAs are all around the churches so you have 24/7 churchbells.  today a prominent person in the village died and we had bells for about 3 hours solid - so loud that even with my very well built and double glazed house having phone calls were hard.

Seriously, no jokes, if you are looking for somewhere without noise try another country

To be honest if you want peace and quiet a little island would not suit you, saying that Gozo is quieter then Malta.  We used to live in one of the villages but now live in the capital Victoria which we find to be less noisy as there are not any holiday lets close by.
Have you ever visited Malta?

problem with gozo is its complicated to access and the internet might be not as good as in malta

well i dont need the city to be quiet
i just need my appartment to be quiet to be able to focus on work, not hearing my neighbours cough or talk like its the case now where i live cause of bad insulation

nope never visited cause i have little time,work a lot

ander123 wrote:

nope never visited cause i have little time,work a lot

I'd say its not optional, you must visit, its not for everyone

Internet is fine in Gozo, you really must visit before making your mind up about coming here as there are a lot of positives to living here.

GozoMo wrote:

Internet is fine in Gozo, you really must visit before making your mind up about coming here as there are a lot of positives to living here.

Big difference between fine for normal home use and fine for high end business use :) There really is a difference between Gozo and Malta, though presumably soon it will be better as they are upgrading the link

yep volcane, thats right, haha i found that, http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/ … 6736183153

here full study interesting : http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/produc … 20180102-1

A few years ago, the South was pretty quiet. Since 2 years there's the same constrution madness like everywhere else. I was working on shifts, and could not sleep during the day without earplugs. Now I'm working from home and have to have my noise cancelling headphones - I believe they were invented especially for Malta  :lol:

You can even feel the vibrations rock-cutting two streets away, because everything sits on the same rock. Noise of trucks, construction workers, dogs, people using the car horns instead of door bells and so on. The best time for me to work is after 10pm and on Sundays, after everyone is off to the family rallye.

Whether or not you can hear your neighbours mainly depend on your neighbours, not on the age of the building, Especially newer buildings have a very thin insulation on the outside to pretend they are conform to the new building standards - in fact most of them are not. Inside walls are made of hollow bricks which are mostly even left "hollow", so they are not filled with concrete and you can hear noises through all storeys, especially if a neighbours decides to do some DIY works at 8pm or on weekends. Instead of filling the gap between two builings with insulation, the leave it open. At least this way thousands of cockroaches find a comfy shelter.

Yes, there are still some quite places in Malta left, but you buy silence often with absence of infrastructure and with long commuting. Speaking about Gozo: daily commuting by bus from bus stop Repubblika in Victoria to Ponsonby in Gzira will take you almost 2,5 hours - one direction only  :unsure

If you intend to use the bus from Victoria to the harbour, depending on where in Gozo you live, you may need to get two buses as some villages do not have a direct service to the ferry.

volcane wrote:

In mosta for example we had 2 months - surrounded by many locations each with festivals - of near constant DAY TIME fireworks.

The fireworks are not made to look nice, they are made to be loud and be heard for miles.  So no building will help you.

Now I live in Siggiewi, its lovely and calm in the UCA - except the UCAs are all around the churches so you have 24/7 churchbells.  today a prominent person in the village died and we had bells for about 3 hours solid - so loud that even with my very well built and double glazed house having phone calls were hard.

Seriously, no jokes, if you are looking for somewhere without noise try another country

thanks for all your answers

so you think siggiewi is a good alternativ ?
do you think the melita 250 mbs fiber works good there ?

also i heard about a shooting hunting center being created next to it soon, doesnt it make noise to the center ?

I have a 250 yeah works fine.

Noise is everywhere. What kind of silly question is it if a shooting range makes noise? It is not exactly right next to it though.

Well, i'm not used to live near a shooting range, wondered if the noise of the shooting in the new complex would be able to be heard 1 km away

I think you've had as much value as you are going to get from this thread. Suggest you take a good read of the actual answers you got from people who live here and took the time out of their days to answer you. The answers are right here

Asking ridiculous questions will likely motivate people to not answer other questions you might have.

What with the hunting seasons, petards and fireworks you probably would not be able to tell, totally agree with Volcanes comments.

yeah well thank you, no madness its not easy for foreigners to arrive and choose place to live in, I found an appartment in siggiewi but then saw this drama article about : https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/v … ion.665054

and didnt want to make a big error, but as I hardly imagine the consequence of that over siggiwie inhabitant I introduced this subject, well after aoll maybe every single shoot can be hear in siggiewi and there are 500 thousans 1000 thousands a days and everyone flee and ill arrive there with my 1 year contract stucked.

thank you for your answers anyways volcane and gozomo and time taken to answer me

To be brutally honest with you - if you consider an apartment without visiting and seeing the place and exploring the area - as everyone here recommends repeatedly almost weekly - you are are guaranteed to regret it.

volcane wrote:

Yes, the louder the better ... and I think, Maltese do not even realise this extensive level of noise. Although some articles already deal with the negative impacts on noise pollution in Malta.
However, when we were viewing some houses in Malta a few years ago, we came to this nice townhouse (I forgot in which village it's located) with excellent views – directly to the church bells  :o
The real estate agent explained to us, that it won't be that loud ... and that they'll ring the bells only on Sundays  :gloria  ... I was not so sure about this and thanks god, we did not take this house  :sleep

Btw, Filfla should be a quiet place to live. No noisy neighbours, no fireworks, no traffic ... only a few boats passing by from time to time ... but I'm not sure about the internet speed  :cool:

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/180519/temp/4e33ggid.jpg

matm911 wrote:

Btw, Filfla should be a quiet place to live. No noisy neighbours, no fireworks, no traffic ... only a few boats passing by from time to time ... but I'm not sure about the internet speed  :cool:

the unexploded ordinance might be problematic :)

We mostly got used to the bells and we are right below them too, but when there are special events its a nightmare.

Pretty though

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/957/40084582950_061ed69dbc_o.jpg

Filfa  :D

You can work from home that is not a problem, but Malta is very very busy!! You hear everything, fireworks, horns, cars passing by,  ice cream melodies, the breadmaker with the van shouting, then some young guys with their cars, neighours shouting and yelling.  Absolutely eveything.