Health Insurance

Hello, I have visited Thailand many many times as a tourist but I am from next year, emigrating to Thailand and will be marrying my Thai girlfriend.
I am wondering if anyone had any advice on which Health Insurance would be best for me to take out for us both. Probably just in-patient and without dentist (as may get this separately if more cost effective).
Thank you for any advice, Howard.

AA Insurance Brokers is good place to get quotes from many different companies.

https://www.aainsure.net/

Hi Howard,

Would propose you engage an insurance intermediary for your proposed health cover.

They are many considerations before you take up a policy:

- Coverage required

This is essential in Thailand as there are different hospitals that cater to different types of facilities. How much limit of coverage is required. Usually the limits offered locally may differ to what expats are used to from their home country.

- Budget you have

Costs will always be a factor to choosing any insurance product. Would you be compromising cover for lesser premium (just an example)

- Insurance Carrier

Do they have a presence in Thailand? Are they proficient in English to handle any potential claims? Do they have a good reputation as a Medical Assistance provider? etc

Your insurance agent / broker could assist you with the fact finding information and provide an array of potential covers that will suit your need.  Good luck

Where do you find insurance agent

If you intent to work in Thailand and pay tax you can have Thai social security.

Will cost 750 Baht/Month (You) and employeer another 750 Baht.

The insurrance will give you free medical care on all public hospitals and 1 private hospital for free.
If  you require medicine then it will be free.

If you later retire or stop to work/pay tax you can continue as "self supported" with social sequrity and only pay 432 Baht/Month

All this require you to work and  pay tax for min. 6 month and the 6 monht must be before you turn 60 years old

Founders of a company and directors can not have social security.

Try Cigna

You can search this website. There are many companies to choose from.

https://www.pacificprime.com

If you're planning to work as an English teacher, or any job where Thai social insurance is included, you could have the Thai social security that covers all expenses.

As already mentioned, the employer and employee have to pay 750 baht per month into the Thai SS.

Once you've paid in for one year, you can continue paying in privately, with only 438 baht/month. That's the best and cheapest option, but you can ask at your bank, some banks offer different plans, you might have to do some research.

P.S. After reading your OP again, please don't be offended by the following.

First of all, your gf, or future wife doesn't need insurance, she's covered by the 30 baht scheme. If you want a special care package, you'll find many offers at Thai banks.

Being on a holiday with your gf and living here permanently, are two different shoes. If I were you, I'd live with her in her country of birth for a while and see the "hidden part" of her. Ex- Thai bf, or husband, hidden kids where the grandparents take care of, her favourite brother who could be her lover and other strange things that happen here quite often.

I do not say that your gf isn't trustworthy, but why not checking somebody out before you get married? It's your future and before you give up many things in your country of origin, you've gotta be sure that you can trust your partner in all instances.

Unfortunately, are too many foreigners here only seen as walking ATM's and once the cash flow's gone, the love goes with it.

My apologies, you weren't asking for such advice, but please be sure before you're getting married what you're getting into.

Best of luck!

Isaanfarang wrote:

P.S. After reading your OP again, please don't be offended by the following. Best of luck!

^ Indeed, a very wise inclusion to an excellent, informative post. :top:

Pete152 wrote:

Where do you find insurance agent

See post #2

Do they only sell insurance plans from Thai companies. There is no such thing as cover for a pre-existing condition Thailand insurance companies even consider taking preventative low dose aspirin or cholesterol medication a pre-existing condition and will not cover a heart attack or stroke if they find out you're on these medications.

Hello howie2,
My name is Surasak (Sula) I am a Thai-Dane, living in Bangkok and work as Manager for Allianz Ayudhya, one of the major insurance companies in Thailand.
I would be gladly to help with your questions if any. Mr.  JWNYsg14 gave you a good answer for your post which you should consider before making any.
The health insurance policy rate depends on your age and your health condition and which plan you choose. To be able to sign up you must have work permit, residence permit or retirement visa.

Should you have any questions feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Sula

Hi Sula.
I'm from Canada and I want to come to Thailand for six months I'm 66 years old and retired, should I just try to get insurance policy from Allianz in Canada or go through a agent from Thailand. What I have done in the pass is get a Thai tourist Visa in Canada then I get extension once I'm in Thailand after 2 months and renew it every month, is there a better way for me to do this and is there a type of Visa that would allow me to stay for the six months.
Thank you.

Hey donlav4u
Try to do stv visa,you will get 3 months and you can renew it 2 more times(without going out of thaland) so is 9 month in total.
To come in thai right now you have to apply for COE (certificate of entry).
To get it u need :
Covid insurance with minimum 100 000$ coverage
And a thai insurance that cover u 400 000 bath impatient and 40 000 bath outpatient.

I always find it odd when the person who started this thread over 3 years ago hasn't responded since. What ever happened to Howard? At least others have continued to provide good information on this topic.

Thank you Rem. What is a STV visa??????

Hey donlav4u!!!
Have look on this link.
https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand-vi … a-thailand
You have all explainations about this visa and the list of requirements they need to get it.
For the inssurances they need i can provide it to you is online application and you get your certificate immediately.
I m the manager of inssurances office in chiang mai
Feel free to contact me if any question.
[link moderated]

Don't bother about the STV. It's just a very costly and difficult type of Visa. Just wait until Thailand opens up to everybody,or go to Phuket. But you have to stay there 14 days before you can go elsewhere in Thailand. Plus ~8,000 Baht for three Covid-19 tests.

Why would your gf need a health insurance? Every Thai are 100 % covered by law. But if she wants an insurance it's very cheap for Thai people,but not for foreigners.