Convert DP to EP or LOC - Which option to choose?

Hello folks,

My EP was approved yesterday and my wife's DP application is in process (don't know why the HR didn't apply both passes together).

My Wife's employer is a large bank which has presence in Singapore as well and they might offer an Internal Job Offer in SG. For this to happen, she needs to wait for sometime here (India) until that decision is made. 

My questions are

1. If they do make an offer, should she opt for an LOC or an EP? 
2. If she opts for LOC, does she need to be in Singapore?
3. If she opts for EP,  would her DP be cancelled as soon as the process starts. What if the EP is rejected  - Would she still have the DP or we would need to again reapply?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I went through the forum but could not find a related topic, hence created one.

See my answers below:

1. If they do make an offer, should she opt for an LOC or an EP? 

SG Expat - Both are possible, LOC can be applied once DP is approved. EP can be applied by the employer separately.

Note: Normally, her employer would happy to go with LOC rather applying for EP.

2. If she opts for LOC, does she need to be in Singapore?

SG Expat - She can get LOC once she has DP and offer letter from the employer (from Singapore office). So, it's upto her whether she would be in Singapore or outside of Singapore.

3. If she opts for EP,  would her DP be cancelled as soon as the process starts. What if the EP is rejected  - Would she still have the DP or we would need to again reapply?

SG Expat - Her DP will be cancelled only after EP got approval. So, if EP application was rejected then DP is still there.

Awesome, thanks Surya for the prompt reply!

In your experience here have you seen LOCs getting rejected as well? My mind bends towards  "LOC is safer than EP".

Both rejection are possible. But, LOC can be easier way to obtain than getting EP or S pass. Good luck

Thanks Surya! LOC it is then.

She has done her Post Graduation in Computer Sc. and she is missing a marksheet from one of the semesters (6 semesters, 1 missing). But she has a consolidated marksheet outlining the grades in each semester.

I know nobody can be sure, but would you advise submitting 5 marksheets and the consolidated marksheet for LOC?  Are marksheets/transcripts even required for LOC process?

Reason I am asking is because I visited this link on MOM Website (Process for LOC) - and I could not find the same clause that says Marksheets/Transcripts required for Indian Nationals when applying for an EP.

Transcript is required if it's not written in English or else it's not required.

No need to submit each semester mark sheets rather provide her Post Grad University certificate but keep the mark sheet with you incase they ask for. This certificate can be provided during apply of DP (as it asks to provide highest educational certificate).

Great! Thanks again, Surya!

I would like to add a few general remarks comparing LoC and EP/S-Pass:
- An LoC can be easier to get, as some restrictions on educational quality and foreigner quota (as well as levies) do not apply. This does not mean it is granted automatically - we have seen several cases of rejection recently!
- Since her DP/LoC is tied to your EP, she'd automatically lose her job and both of you have to leave Singapore if you are fired. With her own EP (and other criteria fulfilled), you could in this case become her dependent and both continue staying here.
- This added uncertainty (and the knowledge that you are the main breadwinner and her only a dependent) causes many employers to pay LoC holders less and not give them too much responsibility.
- As far as I know, LoC can also be granted for part-time work, unlike EP/S-Pass.

Thanks Beepi for adding in. I would certainly discuss these points when the time comes.

Also, circumstances are such that I need to go first to SG and my wife will follow me after a day or 2 days. Would she have any issues at Immigration checks at India/SG. She will have her DP's IPA with her.

There would be no issues at Singapore customs, as she has a valid entry visa.
(I can't say anything about India.)

Looking at current market situation, any employer will think twice before applying EP. There are several hurdles to come in their way and chances getting approval also not that easy. But, if her employer is willing to apply EP then it's absolutely yes as Beppi said in the event of either one of you lose a job then other one can apply DP for the partner if both are holding EP. Good luck

Note: If she has valid visa neither in India nor here would have an issue at immigration check point.

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on a Full-Time Service Crew Role with a Multinational Food Franchise company that offers an excellent package that I thought might be of interest. It is a booth/stall rather than a cafe/restaurant. Preferably Dependent Pass Holders or Singaporean PRs due to it being a new outlet. Do let me know if you are keen to have an open chat on this. Also, I would appreciate it if you could share with me any network platform that I can reach out to. Thank you.

Hi everyone

Just got my EP approved today I have few questions

1) will my husband company have to cancel my DP first then only my EP can be applied ?
2)to whom I have to return the DP card
3) do I have to go to mom for biometric
4)if my dp card is cancelled then will all my dp previledges of my husband company will be gone.

Your husband can submit your DP card now at their HR (after your EP got approval).

Biometric is not mandatory in your case as MoM already have your biometric and other details. By, if MoM suggest then you need to visit.

Once your DP is cancelled, of course you will not be entitled for all the privilege which you had under DP.

You will have your own coverage from your new employer under EP. Good luck

I have got the IPA today. So the next step is to submit my EP card by my husband's HR only then my EP card can be issued or both can happen simultaneously ?

Both can happen simultaneously. You mean to submit your DP card!

Hi.

My wife who is on DP got an offer with the employer she was working with outside Singapore for 4500/month salary with bonuses taking it up to 5500/month. Her total experience is 4.5 years.

The role requires someone who has knowledge of the company's systems and tools, however, her S Pass was rejected. The agency who applied was not clear but they stated that MoM stated reason that the company should be able to find someone local for this job. Maybe they were not clear enough in the application that they wanted someone with knowledge of company's systems. The company is filing an appeal.  My question is since she is on a DP what are the chances of LOC now considering that her S pass has been rejected. Is filing for an LOC independent? Also what would you recommend filing for an LOC or appealing for the pass (considering that the employer or herself has no problem with LOC being tied to my employment)

LOC is different to work pass but the process to get approval is moreover the same at MoM.

LOC approval probability is higher to the work pass because the beneficiary has already legal pass to stay in Singapore.

In both the cases, the employer has to provide strong rationale with evidence that they had tried locally but skillsets didn't match. Good luck

I think LoC has a higher chance in your case.
The requirement of not taking a job that a local could do are lower (if at all present) for LoC, there is no jobs bank posting needed and the salary thresholds are not strictly applied.