Getting Terminated

Hi. I got hired into an expat role in July 2017 with a company in HCMC. The labour contract was a definite 2 year contract (valid till july 2019).

Yesterday my employer contacted me and told me that i will be laid off due to poor performance. And now the company wants me to offer my resignation so that the formalities can be done. I will be given 3 months (to find a new job etc).

Just wanted to check what options do i have. Does the contract being a definite one for 2 years , in any way, give me some right to stay back with this company (not that i would be keen on doing that, now that i know what they think of me). But just wanted to check my options. Should i sign that resignation letter?

Alex

According to my VN wife (Chief Accountant), unless the company has hard evidence of wrongdoing on your part, they are required to give you one month notice. Since the company has given you 3 months notice there isn't much you can do. Just be sure to date your resignation letter for three months out. Since the company wants you to leave anyway, they will most likely let you go before the three months is up if you find something else before then.

That's a crummy way to give in. Get yourself an employment lawyer. Vietnam has law that protects employee in your situation.

It is your decession. Do what you want but I would not waste my time or money with a company that obviously doesn't want me anyway. After 2.5 years in VN my experience tells me that contracts made with forieners are not worth the paper they are written on. If the company asked you to pack your bags and leave tomorrow the law would require them to give you 2 months seperation pay but they have given you 3 months. Being in a strange country the chips are already stacked against you. I would take the three months and find a company that appreciates my hard work.