Brazil visa for remote work?

Hi there! Any help greatly appreciated!:

I'm in Brazil coming to the end of my already extended tourist visa (UK passport holder). I have recently found a way to work remotely with my laptop. What visa should I apply for to continue living and working here (remotely)?  And how do I do it? The temporary work visa  (V) seems to require support from a Brazilian company.   Is there one that will allow working remotely? Obviously fully committed to paying taxes etc.

Many thanks!

Simon,
Without either an employment or a family connection to Brazil, it seems almost impossible to do what you want to do. 
When the new Law of Migration was passed in May of 2017, it appeared to hold out the possibility of work visas, at least for applicants with university degrees, without job offers.  However, Presidential Decree 9.199, issued on November 20, 2017 to implement the law, tightened that language up considerably, limiting it to (1.) non-employees doing work at the invitation of businesses or entities in Brazil, or (2.) persons whose professional capacities have been determined to be strategic for the country by the Ministers of Justice, Foreign Affairs and Labor, after consulting the National Immigration Council.  The actual language of the Decree follows:

"§ 2o  O visto temporário para trabalho sem vínculo empregatício será concedido por meio da comprovação de oferta de trabalho no País, quando se tratar das seguintes atividades:

I - prestação de serviço ou auxílio técnico ao Governo brasileiro;

II - prestação de serviço em razão de acordo de cooperação internacional;

III - prestação de serviço de assistência técnica ou transferência de tecnologia;

IV - representação, no País, de instituição financeira ou assemelhada sediada no exterior;

V - representação de pessoa jurídica de direito privado, sem fins lucrativos;

VI - recebimento de treinamento profissional junto a subsidiária, filial ou matriz brasileira;

VII - atuação como marítimo com prazo de estada superior a noventa dias, a bordo de embarcação ou plataforma de bandeira estrangeira;

VIII - realização de estágio profissional ou intercâmbio profissional;

IX - exercício de cargo, função ou atribuição que exija, em razão da legislação brasileira, a residência por prazo indeterminado;

X - realização de atividade como correspondente de jornal, revista, rádio, televisão ou agência noticiosa estrangeira; ou

XI - realização de auditoria ou consultoria com prazo de estada superior a noventa dias."

"§ 5o  Será dispensada a oferta de trabalho de que trata o caput e considerada a comprovação de titulação em curso de ensino superior ou equivalente, na hipótese de capacidades profissionais estratégicas para o País, conforme disposto em ato conjunto dos Ministros de Estado da Justiça e Segurança Pública, das Relações Exteriores e do Trabalho, consultado o Conselho Nacional de Imigração."

Marry a Brazilian or have a Brazilian kid.......no other way

Advice from abthree is correct.

Jim

Thanks for the advice, very helpful! If I have a Brazilian girlfriend, can that count for anything? I suspect not but in some countries I've heard of people getting temporary visas this way.

No, unless you get married.

SimomHughes wrote:

Thanks for the advice, very helpful! If I have a Brazilian girlfriend, can that count for anything? I suspect not but in some countries I've heard of people getting temporary visas this way.

Your girlfriend can request permanent residency on your behalf by claiming that you have a "união estável" roughly the equivalent of a civil union.  You'll both have to prove it to the Federal Police; she, as the Brazilian partner, will have to accept legal responsibility for your support, and if you break up, she can have your residency cancelled.
If you're up against a time constraint, this could be even less practical than getting married.

Very useful forum. Quick answers and immensely helpful - thank you to all who responded. I had been rather stumbling around in the dark until now.

Hi, I am also wondering about these new immigration laws.  What about this section here:

"Subseção IV
Do Visto Temporário

Art. 14.  O visto temporário poderá ser concedido ao imigrante que venha ao Brasil com o intuito de estabelecer residência por tempo determinado e que se enquadre em pelo menos uma das seguintes hipóteses:
§ 5o  Observadas as hipóteses previstas em regulamento, o visto temporário para trabalho poderá ser concedido ao imigrante que venha exercer atividade laboral, com ou sem vínculo empregatício no Brasil, desde que comprove oferta de trabalho formalizada por pessoa jurídica em atividade no País, dispensada esta exigência se o imigrante comprovar titulação em curso de ensino superior ou equivalente."

It would seem like a temporary visa is possible, until you obtain a formal offer of employment?  This is what the Brazilian Embassy in New Zealand also believes, but I am having a lot of trouble here in Brazil finding anyone that knows about this law.  Even the Ministério do Trabalho here in Rio do not know about this law...

That is what the law seems to say, although it's ambiguous.  But the regulations issued in November to implement the law closed that seeming loophole, and interpret the new law very much like the old one.  I included a link to the regs in a previous post.