Uniao Estavel stuff i still don't dig

Hi, in the process of trying to get this civil union visa so me and my Carioca can reside together in Brasil until she can get retired, but the whole thing is sooooooooooooooooooooo messy and absurd i am not sure if it is even worth starting.

One cartorio says no witnesses need, the other says 2 needed, legal reps that deal with such visa issues say we now also need a judge to verify the civil union (but not how this works or were it needs to be done, plus they say we need to translate my passport - which makes me wanna throw up, my passport is in 5 languages (but not in PO) and it contains basic stuff even an alien from outer space could dig instantly (not to mention online translation services that could all easily translate the few words like name, place of birth expiry date etc. to less intelligent people) - but they want a translation done by some certified legal rep that charges between 500 to 1000 reais for it, really, is that what you all had to do or was there another way??

Asking in a different way, what is the most cost effective way to get a uniao estavel certified good enough for the policia federal??

The best and easy way is by getting 2 witnesses (brazilians would be better)
In fact, is a very open question without a clear shot on this even to Brazilians.

Stick with what the Cartorio  wants.  Specially when it's the Cartorio where your special someone is registered at.

Everything else that has been said is all guesses and shots in the dark.  In other words those guys are guessing

Ah, in the meantime we did exactly that, went to the cartorio with two friends of my Carioca partner and it was pretty much done and dusted within the hour (but we were lucky because it was on one of these trucker strikes days so the cartorio was almost empty.
The two witnesses had to be "verified", at least their signatures first, but overall we spent just under 500 Reais for the process, including verified copies of the verified originals for "the Feddies".

That done we can only hope and pray next week things are going as smoothly at "the Feddies"!!

Policia Federal is a simple process as long as you have all the required documents.  If so , then you won't face any challenges

stanza51 wrote:

Policia Federal is a simple process as long as you have all the required documents.  If so , then you won't face any challenges

.. unless there's 25 000 other people that all want this or that from the 3 agents at the same time, as is common at Galeao in Rio :-( but i will soon know!! Will rent a truck and bring in a truckload of papers just to be sure we have anything and everything they might ask for :-)

I am not sure how things work out in Rio.  But here in Floripa even if they have a large number of applicants, they only take care of the ones who have made an appointment online.

Which makes things easier.

Did you already get the check list of the required documents from PF?

Those are the REALISTIC points .. as i just found out painfully!!

But, here my report (with plenty of frustrations packed into it)
"How did my day at the Feddies go?
I hate these Feddies !!
It is beyond belief, 3 weeks or so ago i went and ask them to give me all requirements for the visa.
They even gave me a printed list thereof.
Today as we stood in front of one of these "officers" it took less than a minute for him to ask for something we did not have and were never informed of and was not on the list .. that we also need a criminal record from 3 (thats 3 as in 1 2 3) BR institutions, Federal , state and federal justice, two of which can easily be done online, the RJ one i am not sure what they want or even what the name is,
https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instituto … ix_Pacheco

Last time i was there they also said they would process people that came in at 08 AM without an appointment.
This time they said "no processing without an appointment"!!! (Mind you, their online appointment booking system is notoriously saying "no appointments at this time" and the best "help" is that they tell us "keep on trying" - until you have a really long beard or died of old age maybe?)

People that can't give proper and comprehensive (and most of all professional) information and just request their "customers" do the endless run around, what a disgrace!!

Hey Stanza1951, Thanks for your insight into this post. I'm in Floripa too and going through the process with my girlfriend (from the U.S.).

Did you do it here? If so, I'd be curious and grateful to hear about your process.

I'm running into a few obstacles in the process that I wasn't expecting. The cartórios are asking for:

-- Certidão de Estado Civil
-- Certidão de Nascimento (that was created/ validated in the last 90 days)

The problem is that my visa expires in a few days. I have a birth certificate, but it was printed in 2009, and I don't have a certidão de Estado Civil.

Cheers for the help!

Reminds me of the Whithnail and I quote
"Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't"

Doing these type of Processes in Rio or Sao Paulo is going to be hell , huge cities , too many applicants , in smaller cities like SJC where I lived you just breeze through it.

" Certidão de Nascimento (that was created/ validated in the last 90 days"

you need to get a new full unabridged birth certificate and get it apostilled/validated in the states.....I'm not sure if you have to be there in Person, many companies provide there type of services, but as you say your visa expires soon.

Your best option is to leave to your research and return ready with all the right documents and necessary funds , unless you can come up with a new Birth certificate in  less than a week......
The estado civil is similar process I think you gotta get it get it validadted

Hey Steve, thanks for the response and the tips. Yeah it's pretty easy to get all that stuff, but the problem is that it'll take probably around a week to get it into my hands here in Brazil, and my visa will be expired by then.

I had read stories of people on this site who only needed Birth Certificate and CPF. No mentions of having it recently validated. But it appears to be more complicated, at least in Floripa.

Anyway, the woman at the Policia Federal suggested another idea that I think could work.  I'll share what happens in a few days.

murrayjus,

i haven't been to brazil yet, so take my answer with a grain of salt. 

i don't know if you're on a tourist visa or not, but if you are, i read that you can go to the policia federal and get your tourist visa extended for another 90 days.

Thanks for the tip misterinternational. I already did that! I appreciate the attention