Remote Employment

Hi! I'm new to the forums but have been visiting the DR for about 14 years. I have many friends there and Dominican friends here in the Miami area.

I've been planning to "retire" there for many years and am now finally going to do so later this year.

My question relates to employment by a US firm and getting Residency.

I work tech support by phone and all I need is an internet connection. So, I can continue doing my job from the DR. I've already verified that this works just fine. It's not an official policy of my employer, but as long as I answer the phone they don't ask questions.

How will the government view this type of employment in regard to filing for residency? Is it possible to use my employment to satisfy the solvency requirements, as opposed to having a "retirement" income.
BTW, It's a very high paying job.

Thanks for your consideration!

Welcome to the forums.   This sounds like a great set up!  Unfortunately  I do not believe it qualifies as work can be discontinued at any time whereas pension income does not disappear.

I  will check with my lawyer about this though anyway.

If needed one way around this - come visit -  open a corporation -  the corporation then hires you as the only capable person to do the job. Company issues a work visa which you later can convert to residencia or just extend the work visa.  I am told this works.

Better, just don't tell them.

Thanks for the info.

The incorporation plan sounds good.

Would you be able to assist in that?

Please contact me if so.

I responded to your message.

Mutantbee, if you don't tell them, how would they even know?

Colonel,

You make a good point. But I thought I need to show solvency of some sort to establish residence?

You do and remote work will not qualify.

Hi there any luck going this path ? I also work remote with a high paying job and I do have a good amount of cash in bank plus other accounts. How much do they like to see to see financial solvency to issue a resident visa ? Anyone know ?

Check the residency thread. I believe you qualify if you can show 200,000 us in deposits or invested here, ie real estate / business you can qualify

Show income $2500 per month & looks like the investment amount went up, thought it was $180,000

Is the remote work meet the income or do they want a pension ? Also do you have to put 180k into the country or just show you have it ?

Invest it in property, or invest in a business. Planner knows about this stuff along with many others.

Remote work does not qualify. Sorry.

Ok thank you for the information. I appreciate your responses.

Couple of work arounds.... one is to open a business.  The second is get married. Not sure which is more expensive or more efficient..... :lol:

Lol that's a good one! And both may be expensive! lol

:D:D:D

I'm Single , but Planner has already turned me down, I.m on the vulnerable rebound?.......................

Sorry bro, not my type.