Work Holiday Pass

Yes, what you heard is true: The minimum rental duration (by law) is 6 months.
If you stay shorter, or have no residence visa (I do not know if a WHP counts as such), you must stay in hotels, hostels or serviced apartments - or for free with friends (if you have any).
Maybe you can ask your employer to help you find something?

Hi beppi,
I was doing some research on the rental rules by URA and found that they actually changed their policy to short term rentals for minimum of 3 consecutive months which for me is perfect. Also, they will allow the apartment owners to post their listing in Airbnb for short term stay ( less than 3 months) but have to register with URA before 31st May 2018 and have to follow the rules stated.

Those are high end selected condos, whose monthly rental would be somewhere around $8,000 plus. For single room will cost around S$2,500 to S$3000. Yes, recently URA changed the rule only to very selective high end condos or landed property. So, if it's ok for you to pay around S$9000 for 3 months then you may go ahead.

Hi Surya,
How about the studio apartments with price ranging from 3500-4000 SGD per month?. Are tgey allowed for 3 months?

If you got WHP card then there are plenty of single rooms are available (both common rooms and master bed rooms) with price range between $650 to $1500 (both Govt apartment HDB and private condos). So, it's illegal to stay in a room or studio apartment without valid working pass. So, get your WHP card then it's easy to get a room for 3 months.

Below are few sites for you to explore:

https://rentinsingapore.com.sghttps://www.easyroommate.com.sg

Or check in gumtree.com.sg

But, to get WHP I need to provide my room/apartment address so that they can deliver it. What should be my first step before getting WHP?. Should I book hotel until I get my WHP so that they can deliver it there?.

I am actually getting confused with this whole housing thing. Where should I start from?. Monthly 3000-4000 SGD is fine. Based on that whats your suggestion? . Should I look for Airbnb because I have been using Airbnb since last 1.5 years in a regular basis.

Hello, you will get your WHP card from your employer's address. It's not going to be delivered to your house address. And, before that there would be a medical test then visit MoM office for your finger print and other formalities. Don't get too much confuse. Get your WHP card then look for a room or a whole unit (if any owner agreed for 3 months rent). If you have anything doubt then reach out your employer.

Note: Airbnb kind of things were banned in Singapore and recent URA open up on few selected condos or landed houses, their registration and other requirements are yet to be completed. Singapore has a very clear set up rules, foreigners without work pass can't rent out a place, except this new URA rule which is still under progress.

Hi Surya,
My internship place cleary said they wont help me with any whp related formalities. They asked me to use my own address for whp card delivery as it is only an internship.

Hi Yaameen,
My friend is currently doing her internship in Spore and she did not even have a contract , she got the card from MOM and opened a bank account.
I think you don't need to worried a lot about it.

Hey Gwenwl,
Thanks for letting me know.

Hi guyz,
Long time.
@gwenwl...did you book an appointment for your work pass issuance?. If so, which option u selected in make,change and cancel appointment?. When I click this option it leads to me a page that has 3 morr options: Work permit pass, S-pass and EP. Which one did you select?

Hi Yaameen,
I just saw your message, you need to choose the third one "Pass Issuance / Renewal / Cancellation" under EP.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … =2#4264120
Thanks , today i got EP approved and IPA letter .
---------------------------------------
I would like to ask you regarding below topic as mostly you already answer but my question is little relating this topic as  current working XYZ at  home town company. let me ask below two point and advice me which option is good ?
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 67#4195583

(1) I have plan to tell agent , please make me appoint with MOM for  register photo and fingerprints for notification letter Before resignation here current xyz company  and then i will go to Singapore to enter and show IPA letter for process of fingerprints and photo. and then i will come to our hometown and then i will resign current xyz company and then i will come back to Singapore to enter again with IPA letter to take EP card and joining work starts. my handover status is 2 months here (XYZ my current hometown company)

(2) Second point is my agent advice to clear handover here and then come to SG and show IPA letter and then take white card and then show her white card. Then she will arrange with MOM for Photo and finger prints process. After one week they will send EP card to employee.

May i know please which one is more good ?

by the way in my EP , Medical Required shows - Declaration
what i understand is no need to show medical check up result as my other three friends also did not do medical checkup they said like this  ?

Thethe123: Congratulations on your EP approval! But your post is not clear as to what your problem is or what you need advice on.
The IPA is your entry visa  to go to Singapore, get your EP issued and start work. All this can now be done on your own and without any agent.
If, however, you want to enter and exit Singapore BEFORE starting work, you should not use the IPA to enter.

To add into Beppi's comment, if I understood correctly that you haven't put your paper in your present company in your home country and there you have 2 months notice period to serve. This part we can't say what the company can do against you if you don't serve notice period. If they won't release you then you simply can't come join here as they may sue you legally in your country and that will create trouble here as Singapore company will come to know through verification check then high possibility to cancel your work permit. Check there and try to accommodate with the present employer amicably.

Second part, medical test is mandatory for every first timer employee coming here to work. Once you landed, the employer or its appointed agency will guide you to do the necessary medical check up within 5 days. So, not sure why your friends suggested incorrectly. Medical check is MUST for all first time employees coming here. Good luck

beppi and surya   , thanks a lots for your support. Appreciate.

Do you know medical check up is which check up need ? example TB , HIV , B ?
I can resign here and clear without problem that i will clear this week.
According beppi explanation what i understand is if I come to Singapore before joining date , can i come visit visa and then go back my country and come back at that time show IPA letter can or not ?

Br,
Thanks.

If you read my message I told you that if you are coming here to work then show your IPA. If your intention is to come here for a visit show your visa (not sure though what's the purpose - be prepared immigration officer may ask you the same) then will come back later to work - show then your IPA letter.

Second part, medical check up can be simple to see you are fit to work as per Singapore standard, if they noticed anything suspicious which you didn't declare earlier then they may check in details. Through blood test, medical team can easily find out TB, HIV etc.

OK clear noted thanks you for your advice.

You should be prepared to be asked few questions such as why did you come under a tourist visa when you have issued IPA letter, then you may explain that you are coming here for few days to see housing rent near to office location as the company doesn't provide the initial accommodation or similar answers which will be a fair explanation. Good luck

Hi, What if I'm already in Singapore as a tourist when I received my IPA letter? What will be the procedure then? thanks a lot in advance

Hello pc222,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

In case you did not notice, this thread has been inactive since 2018.

You will better get insight if you ask your question in a new thread on the Singapore forum.

All the best,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

[Thread closed]

Closed