Driver's License & Shipping 1989 Car

Hello --

My husband and I recently purchased a lot in Rincon.  We will be moving permanently over to the island in the next month or two to be there while home construction is going on --

1) Driver's licenses - we both have valid licenses from Colorado and have no violations - do we really need to get an eye exam? Is this done at the same place that we apply for the licenses? Also - we don't have a utility bill yet as construction hasn't started yet and the utilities haven't been run to the lot. Will the sales deed do? And lastly, is this really a full day excursion ? :)

2) I don't want to part with my 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - and am planning on having it shipped over. The Hacienda website does not give any tax estimates on cars that old. And I've been trying to call their phone number for a few days to no avail. I read a very old post that said something about older cars just getting charged a flat tax -- is that true? Does anyone know? Thanks for any info! Megan

Hi There..

We moved here to PR from Colorado as well.  I would reccomend retaining your CO drivers license and then getting a PR ID once you are settled.  We shipped our car here as well with an independent company to get it to San Juan. Are you going to get your car to the shipping location yourself or try to have it picked up in Colorado?

Hi!
Thanks for the advice about the Driver's licenses.  At this point, we are there more than here in Colorado but we'll put off that process for now.  And we'll most likely drive the car to Florida and ship from there.

From florida you will pay about 1200 to ship the vehicle and then pay the taxes on the inflated value of the vehicle that Hacienda places on the vehicle when you go pick it up. I sugest you search this site about shipping a vehicle / car, most of the procedure is documented and also the site where you can enter your VIN number to determine what the taxes would be.

By law you are required to get a local driving license within 90 days of moving to the island
The eye test is mandatory, no way around it.
As to address .... your house will not be build overnight, so you will be living some place in the mean time, and unless it is an Airbnb or a hotel, you will need to turn on utilities so you will have a bill.
I am not sure if the sales deed will do or not but I do not see why not. But you will be living someplace in the meantime so either way not a problem.
Calling Hacienda is a waste of time, they hardly ever answer the phone.

You will need to get insurance, the Marbete (inspection sticker), new registration and plate,  and register your car within 30 days if I remember correctly. There is a mandatory 135 dollars a year liability insurance that is charged to you when registering the vehicle if you do not have other insurance. It cover up to 4k of damages to others, the rest is yours.

Most Puerto Rican businesses, and govt offices do not answer phones... don't take it personally.  It's ridiculous, but the Dr's "exam" is required, which is just a Dr. who's got a little booth, outside the Obras publica (DMV), and he asks if you wear glasses, and if you are in good health... the end, cough up $20, and that's your exam.

I have a question regarding car insurance. I understand the basic liability that comes with the marbete, but we will probably want more coverage. Can our AAA coverage transfer to PR? I did notice while searching that PR has one AAA office in San Juan. But what about roadside service in case of a breakdown? Anyone have experience with AAA or know if that is offered? Thanks...