At the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig: Travels Through Paraguay

by John Gimlette

I was wondering who else has read this book and what where your thoughts about it. 1 or 2 things that he wrote that I def. could rebuke (Though I'll have to go and search for them again first) but then in his opening he said something like :" This book is only how I saw things and is my own opinion"

But overall def. a book to scare you away for Py if you've never been here, but I still enjoyed it very much, and from that book I learned for the first time some history of Paraguay that I didn't know about and made me understand why Paraguay is Paraguay.  :top:

Loved the book, my brother in law bought it for me right after I got married to my Paraguayan wife.  Really made me wonder what I had gotten myself into !!!:D   Prior to the book, I thought Paraguay was somewhere in Africa....(OK, just kidding).  But the book overall is very well written and really gives you some historical and cultural insight into the land and people that make up this wonderful little country.  Definitely should be read by anyone heading to Paraguay as a counterpoint to the vague "travel guides" one finds at bookstores (most with just a small section on Paraguay usually sandwiched between big writeups on Brazil and Argentina).   I'm still searching for the meaning of the pink pig though......

majbjb wrote:

Definitely should be read by anyone heading to Paraguay as a counterpoint to the vague "travel guides" one finds at bookstores (most with just a small section on Paraguay usually sandwiched between big writeups on Brazil and Argentina).

The new Bradt guide of Paraguay is very complete and has a lot of good information.

That may be so Pman, but At the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig isn't your normal "guide" book.

I can only recommend go to your book store and get one! :lol:

I will :)

I just wanted to let everybody know that there is a good guide available now. Footprint and Lonely Planet never bothered in doing a lot of research in Paraguay and the writer of the Bradt guide did.