Resident status

I joined a firm in Malaysia in Sept 2017,i know 182 days to be complete in a year(January to December) for resident status. My 182 days will be completed on 1st July 2018 . I am going to my country to celebrate Eid festival with my family for 14 days in June-2018. I want to ask you one thing after completing 182 days i will become resident for tax payment. can i go for more 14 days in Sept-2018 as i have to attend weeding ceremony in my family in September-2018. will it affect my resident status in Malaysia.

Thanks in advance for reply

The only purpose of limiting the personal absence to 14 days within the qualifying first 182 days of 2018 is to be able to link 2017 tax year to 2018 and therefore pay resident tax rates for both 2017 and 2018. However, note that any absence is added to the 182 days qualifying period. So you would need to add 14 days to 182 to reach your resident status qualifying date

The only rule about residency once qualified is a minimum of 182 days in 2018 so further absences are possible.

Be careful of how you count your absent days. A day when you are not in Malaysia at any time of the day counts as being outside Malaysia for the whole day.

Thanks a lot for reply. just for clarification I am asking  if I go for 14 days in June-2018 182 days will be completed on 16-July-2018 instead of 2nd July 2018 as 14 absence days is to be added. M i right?

further more please clarify after 16 July i can go to my country again for 14 days in September it will not affect my resident status.

Thanks for you quick reply

Yes, you need to add the days (to get the Certificate of Residents used to change your tax status they will count days from Passport entry and exit stamps)

No, you can be absent as much as you want once you have qualified by being in Malaysia for 182 (+ max 14) days.