Feel Ripped off by water company

I live and work in Washington DC but have a home is Boquerón, Cabo Rojo. . Since September and the hurricanes, every month I pay my water bill; which is extremely high compared to before the storm, I get the feeling I'm being ripped off. Particularly the "Cargo por Alcantarillado and CCAR portions of the bill which I don't really know what they are for.  That portion of the bill is almost as high as the water consumption. Can anyone please explain if I'm the only one tat feels this way.

Alcantarillado means sewer, if you are not connected to the sewer you should not be paying it. A lot of homes in PR do not have sewer service.

You may have a broken pipe past the meter, or the guy that reads the meter is writing what he wants and is instead at the bar having a cold one.

Also water is going up. If you are paying for water more than 70 a month for the whole bill either you are using way too much or something is wrong. Most water bill are 45 a month.

If you are not there yor bill should be very small as you are not using any, mostly the fees not associated with usage. They could be extimating and not reading the meter.

My house in PR is in a commercial zone and was a restaurant in a former live.  When we first moved in our water bill was ridiculously high.  It took some paperwork to get it classified residential, but now the bill is reasonable.   :cool:

Water definitely went up. You get charged consumption by tier for the water and that's the little summary on the middle right of your statement called “Detalles Cargos Corrientes”. The total of the “Detalles Cargos Corrientes” is the Cargos por Agua and Cargos por Alcantarillado added together, so that's where those two numbers come from. CCAR - “This is the Charge for Environmental and Regulatory Compliance. This charge has been designed to specifically cover annual costs that contemplate complying with the state and federal regulations and agreements that govern our Authority. It is mainly aimed at the development of projects to comply with the agreements established with the EPA and the DS. Approximately $ 1,377 million have been invested in compliance projects and there is still an additional $ 2,300 million in investment required by these regulatory agencies.”

Our water bill went up from 45-50 to 80. Also, water meters are read either monthly or every other month and they split the bill the next two months. That's why you might see two statements for the same amount.

http://www.acueductospr.com/TARIFA/preg … Pregunta_a

Turn your water off and the main valve for two weeks and see what the difference is. Sounds like one of your neighbors is tapped into your main line. Very common unfortunately. When you turn it off, go around to your neighbors and ask if they have water....

jesoleau wrote:

Turn your water off and the main valve for two weeks and see what the difference is. Sounds like one of your neighbors is tapped into your main line. Very common unfortunately. When you turn it off, go around to your neighbors and ask if they have water....

:lol:

When you turn it off, go around to your neighbors and ask if they have water....

Love this!

My water is generally about $25 - $28/ month

Our landlord went back to the states in nov.  He jad his waterturned off at the road and at gis gouse. He was getting statements for crazy amount of money. He got so fed up je had them turn off the water

I turned the water off at the street. Finally the issue was resolved and the bill is back to normal.It was crazy for a few month,

dejahre wrote:

I turned the water off at the street. Finally the issue was resolved and the bill is back to normal.It was crazy for a few month,

Explain, how turning off water at the street level got your bills back to normal?

Turning the water off  on the street allow me to monitor the meter from month to month. I also submitted a request for an investigation from the water company to insure no one else was using water from my meter and that their we no broken pipes. The water company credited the over payment and the next months the water , sewer , and other bill were back down to normal around at $27. Reflecting time we had been there.