3 x 3-month relocation suggestions & help?

Hi everyone
Thanks for reading. We are a mid-30s couple with a 2yo and 1 more on the way. We've decided to take a 'parental year off' next year to spend as a family, Once baby is 3mo old, we aim to leave Australia for 9 months. We are looking for 2-3 places to spend this time, where we can settle in a bit and live like locals, potentially learn/improve Spanish language, and live cheaply (on around $2-3000 Australian dollars per month).

Please hit me with suggestions - I'm from UK originally, love Europe, have travelled a bit through central and south america and love the ocean & beaches, we also love the idea of South East Asia (have only been to Bali & Thailand so far though).

We ideally want to know if there are places where we can get short term 2-3month furnished 2bed rentals that aren't at hotel prices, in a small town that's reasonably safe where we can just while away our days together with our kids and take the occasional touristy day/weekend/week long trip. Good internet connection, and public transport links would be great to get out and about without needing to have our own car, or a longer term car rental that doesn't cost a fortune.

Are we pipe dreaming? Certain places that have popped into my head are Phillipines, Penang, Vietnam, Argentina, Bali, Menorca/Majorca, Cuba, Tuscany...

I know this isn't your typical relocation question - but I was hoping to tap into the vast experience on this site - there must be long term furnished rentals that are available to people relocating while they search for their permanent place to live. Preferably places with a few other expats or some tourism.

Thanks so much in advance.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Have a read of this thread > https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17261

Hmm thank you! Certainly food for thought but doesn't help me narrow it down - in fact I've now added Goa, Greece and Croatia to my list of potentials. I feel like we could live anywhere -but for different purposes (e.g. if it was for work it might be LA, San Fran, Dubai, Hong Kong etc). I specifically need somewhere we can live really cheaply but still enjoy that holiday kind of feel I think.

I also need advice on how to find those mid term furnished rentals that aren't Airbnb/Hotel prices.

I can recommend Croatia, very nice by the coast and good weather. You can there relatively cheaply.

You want to live really cheap, but really good.
Many people are searching for such a place.
But reality is, you get what you pay for.
It is a fact that, overall, the living standard is best in the highly developed democratic countries that happen to also be the most expensive.
You must thus, for each place on your list, analyse which reason do make them less attractive (and thus cheap) - and whether these reasons do matter for you.

Ha yes I know - the holy grail eh? But I'm not necessarily looking to live 'really cheap but really good' - I'm happy with basic, without setting up in a mountain village and living in a hut. I'm just after recommendations of those small towns a little bit off the beaten track that I don't necessarily know about. And countries where $2500 month isn't totally impossible to live on. We won't exactly be going partying with 2 tiny kids in tow so our daily expenses can be low. But perhaps I would have better luck going into each individual country forum and asking there.

If the focus is on a good life only, the best places for your situation are probably Singapore (for family-frienfly city life), or Switzerland (for a less urban lifestyle with lots of nature).
But you'd have to triple your budget, at least, for those two.
Everywhere else you'll face compromises. Think hard about which ones you are willing to accept, and at what price level.

I also want to add that your budget of only US$2500/month for a family of four is very little.
To have a good life anywhere, you need to have sufficiently more than the average income there. In most developed countries, your budget is at or near the poverty line. This limits your list of places tremendously!

Check out Batumi, Georgia, Airbnb prices seem reasonable.

Hi Ravenus
If the focus is on reasonable cost of living for a good comfortable life, the best place for your search could be Bahrain .  On average, a furnished house or flat at $1000 -1500 pm probably cost $ 1500 - 2000 pm for living  and it provides for family-friendly  life in very global culture and safe environment.  So you want to think of $ 3000 ($100 pd) at minimum.
If you are planning to work , it would be so possible in a place like Bahrain
You could pay a short visit on a tourist visa to see for yourself. Afterall, you will enjoy the visit on a low budget.
Let me know, if this is of interest. Nezar

Hello there,

I would recommend that you seriously consider going to stay for 3-months in Colombia. It has everything, and is very budget friendly.
It is very hot, 90-100F,  in Cartagena and Barranquilla and Santa Marta on the Caribbean coast. Medellin, about 75-82F every day, is much better.
Manizales, Pereira, and Bucaramanga are smaller cities and also very good places to stay short term. Personally, I have been to Medellin 5 times and I would highly recommend Medellin since I think that  It is the best city in all of Colombia all round.

Brian

Hi
Go to Kerala in India. i will share my friend's number, who is managing a guest house on monthly rental basis. this looks like a forest but a "VILLAGE". This gives 360 degree different life to you both with two.
They have a topless jeep. Request them to give u on complimentary.
Google Kerala.
Thanks

No worries, you can live like royalty for 3-months in Colombia on about $ 2,500 per month maximum, and maybe even less than that. And you can practice your Spanish while you are there. The weather is perfect all the time, and the people are fantastic, very friendly. Medellin, Antioquia, Colombia, in my opinion, is the absolute best city in all of Colombia, and the average daily temperature is around 75 F to 82 F, and it is a modern city which has literally everything, population around 3,800,000. Check it out. I went there 5 times on holidays and I loved that city so much, it was the absolute best time of my life, you would love it - guaranteed. I even met an Australian guy there who has his own real estate management business there in Medellin and he has been living there for about 15 years now. If you like, I can refer you to him for assistance in finding a fully furnished apartment, condominium, or house for a reasonable cost.

Brian

I'm Brian in Canada. Colombia is your holy grail....hahaha.....seriously, mate.
Check out: www.farinternational.com
You can live like a king really cheap in Colombia.....they have lots of great modern fully-furnished apartments at very reasonable monthly rental prices .....forget everywhere else, just go to Colombia......you will have the best time of your life, guaranteed...I did it all myself too ...you can very easily live there for around US $ 1,500 to $ 2,000 per month in a luxury fully-furnished apartment for around US $ 750-1,000 per month for up to 3-6 months. If you rent an apt for a longer term of 3 months, instead of just for 1 month, then you can negotiate a better deal.
Brian

South America is beautiful but dangerous and not safe in most places. Thailand is nice and cheap, Cazablanca- Morocco is beautiful place as well.

What are the job opportunities like in Columbia? I'm 35, English and have years of international sales experience behind me. I really want to experience south america in full time employment

I'm interested to know what you decide in the end.

Medellin, Colombia is very safe. I went there 5 times and never ever had any problems. I bet you it is 10x safer than in the United States. Stuff can happen everywhere. Every big city has crime. Just take the normal precautions like you would in any big city, and you will be fine

You would probably not be able to get any good job in Colombia unless you speak fluent Spanish and  and have the necessary skills and experience which are in very high demand there. Everybody who goes there wants to teach English, either full-time or part-time, and they pay peanuts....US $ 7-10 per hour. The average monthly wage in Colombia is only around US Dollars $ 400-500 gross per month.
It is still a poor country, and Medellin is quite expensive to live in if you want to live in the wealthy or upper-class and therefore safer areas of the city , unless you want to live in a really poor and not so safe area of the city.

Your chances of getting a good, high-quality, high-paying job in Colombia are approximately ZERO.

Before this thread starts running any further off topic please focus on the OP, 3 x 3 month location suggestions and help. Thank you.

In my experiences, with your budget and what you need, Vietnam is totally doable.

If you like beach and modern city at the same time, Da Nang is a good place.
Beside there are also Nha Trang, Ha Long bay, Cat Ba, Tuy Hoa, etc.
But for living and meeting other people, for me Da Nang is the best in term of a beach city (and for expat)

Buses may not very convenient, but Grab services are reasonable.

Hi,  You did not mention Chile but I have a friend who lives between Santiago and del Mar on a mountainside with absolutely gorgeous views.  He is in the middle of Chilean wine country and is about 45 minutes to Santiago and 45 minutes to the Pacific coast.  I know he has been building cabins to begin a hotel/tourism operation, but I am not sure if he is open for business yet.   Let me know if you are interested and i will send you pics or put you in touch with him. 

Katherine

Hi
I spent 2 mos in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand.
Vietnam was the best for $ value, friendliness, food, and activities.
Da Nang is wonderful and the Bay way a great experience. I am considering Panamá for myself.
Any thoughts from anyone?

Yes, Vietnam is one of the most hot destination in 2018

I am proud to be a Vietnamese

Yes Katharine, I heard that Chile is a really nice place to visit too.
A friend of mine got married in Canada, and they went to Chile for their honeymoon and they had an earthquake there right after they arrived there...and yes, in fact, the earth really did seriously move for them....hahaha.....those Chilean wines are excellent....but actually I am not a cabin in the woods kind of guy, I prefer the big city

Mendoza, Argentina and San Rafael, Argentina are both really nice places in the wine country of Argentina to visit, travel to and stay for a while and even to retire to as well. The climate is perfect, it is very safe, and the people are educated and very friendly and it is budget friendly on top of all that. Check it out online. I have  a very good friend from Mendoza, Argentina who moved to Venice, Italy and got married to an Italian woman in Italy and he is living there now and very happy, except he misses Mendoza and wants to move back there now and start up a big Italian food & pizza restaurant there.
Check out the online reviews here on this expat.com website and also check out the traveler/tourist  reports on Trip Advisor.com
Brian

By the way, the average monthly salary in Colombia is around US Dollars 500. per month.

Even professionals such as engineers/doctors/lawyers/accountants only make approximately
US Dollars 1,500-2,000 per month.

That might explain why so many Colombian people want to move to the United States, Canada, Europe, Spain, etc.

As far as working in Colombia is concerned, you would have to pretty well speak perfect, fluent Spanish.

Just about everybody who wants to move to Colombia, and especially Medellin, Antioquia, Colombia, want\s to work as a full-time or part-time English teacher and even that only pays around approximately  US Dollars $ 7.50 to $ 10 per hour maximum.

Good luck on finding a good, high-quality, good paying job in Colombia.

I have been to Medellin 5 times and can vouch for all of the above.

Brian

Check Peru , beautiful country and under your budget.

Yes, Peru is a place to consider, but also Quito and Cuenca in Ecuador might possibly be the cheapest places of all for short-term and long-term living. But Mendoza and San Rafael, located in the wine country of Argentina, not far from the Chile border,  might be even better. It is all very subjective.

Hi , I would like to visit Colombia

why do you want to visit Colombia ?

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR