I am South African wanting to live in Scotland.

Hi

I would like information on all aspects of moving to Scotland from South Africa to live & work.
I have South African citizenship & passport.
However , I was born in a British colony being Rhodesiain 1961 during British governance, this apparently does not count towards entrance into the UK, I would really like to know why this is so, as many other nationalities born in British colonies under British rule, have gained access into the UK with this formality. I do not have a grandparent born in UK.   Only grandparents.

Please advise
Noeleen

Hi Noeleen and welcome to the Forum. :)

The issue is that you need to prove you have the right of abode in the United Kingdom.

This is currently a political hot potato with the UK Government with the realisation that British citizens at the time of the Windrush movement of Commonwealth citizens to and from the UK, have been illegally denied British Citizenship and a whole host of other human rights issues related to dependants across the whole of the Commonwealth being illegally denied British citizenship.

There is a UK Government website that has been updated to include the "Windrush" revelations; you can access it from this link, you will need to follow the internal links in that document to pull everything together.

These changes are literally days old and nobody has any experience to refer you to.  If you think you may qualify, then perhaps you need to speak to an Immigration lawyer.  I've just looked and this is so new, there are none advertising their services.

Not sure if I've helped, but I wish you the best of luck in your journey.

If you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Cynic
Expat Team