Moving to Belgium and what is a maze of rules

Hello,

I've read through most of the posts here from the last year, I've also searched through the web for ages and find so much conflicting information.

On top of that we've already sat down with two lawyer firms who have been absolutely useless.

We're a couple, a Belgian and a South-African who have been together for close to two years now and been living together in Indonesia, Bali for the last year.

My partner is regional financial manager in SE Asia and has been for the last 10 years, I used to work for a lawfirm in Belgium but quit my job when we started our relationship as I would first travel back and forth between Asia and Belgium to then live here together.

Now, we're tired of the Asian mentality and would like to move to Belgium together. (And my partner works for a European company, but they don't have a Belgian office)

As I have no job and can not prove income in Belgium I'm scared they might refuse going through with  cohabitation eventhough my partner would still have an income coming through of approximately 12 000 euros a month, what do you think our chances are if we did go through with the cohabitation procedure? It is a very unusual situation and I cannot find any information giving a definitive answer.

My partner has a visa C, we are running out of time as we are planning on moving the end of May as our rental aggreement in Bali comes to an end.

- If our chances are too low to go with cohabitation, what is the process on getting a residence permit + professional card if we were to apply for them in Belgium? (And please, do not link any government websites as I've gone through all of them. They all say to get a residence permit, we need a work permit or a professional card. To get a professional card we need a work permit. So, alais not helpfull at all.)

Hello,

You worry a lot for not much ...

Being Belgian, you have access without problem. As for your companion, he enters Belgium with the type C visa which is valid for three months. Then you do it renew for three months to the city hall where you will reside. And if you want to have peace and the certainty of a valid management of your companion's file, avoid settling in a big city. Because you may be confronted with the problem of migrants and fed up with many officials ...

During this time, this will allow you to begin the process of obtaining a permanent visa. The problem in reality concerns the risk your companion is in charge of the Belgian state and asks for benefits, Which according to your statements does not really seem to be the case ... Therefore, if possible, attach to your file a bank guarantee letter ...

You can rely on the articles of law bearing the reference:
- Annex 15a
- Annex 40 ter

Regarding the work permit, it's up to you to start looking for a potential employer. Or to plan the opening of a company. The bottom line is to have a promise to hire or to have a viable business project.

Again, we come back to the same point. The Belgian state wants to be certain that your companion will not become a financial burden for at least a year. Even if nobody will ever tell you officially, it's like that.

phipiemar wrote:

Hello,

You worry a lot for not much ...

Being Belgian, you have access without problem. As for your companion, he enters Belgium with the type C visa which is valid for three months. Then you do it renew for three months to the city hall where you will reside. And if you want to have peace and the certainty of a valid management of your companion's file, avoid settling in a big city. Because you may be confronted with the problem of migrants and fed up with many officials ...

During this time, this will allow you to begin the process of obtaining a permanent visa. The problem in reality concerns the risk your companion is in charge of the Belgian state and asks for benefits, Which according to your statements does not really seem to be the case ... Therefore, if possible, attach to your file a bank guarantee letter ...

You can rely on the articles of law bearing the reference:
- Annex 15a
- Annex 40 ter

Regarding the work permit, it's up to you to start looking for a potential employer. Or to plan the opening of a company. The bottom line is to have a promise to hire or to have a viable business project.

Again, we come back to the same point. The Belgian state wants to be certain that your companion will not become a financial burden for at least a year. Even if nobody will ever tell you officially, it's like that.

Thanks for your reply, I might indeed be over-complicating things.

But honestly have had 10 people say something different everytime.

Hahaha, And that surprises you ...

I live and work around the world since my youth. And if I had to count all the bullshit I've heard before ...

The only thing I can not guarantee in what I just told you is the behavior of the officials you are going to talk to you ... Like everywhere in the world, there are some who are more competent than 'other. And / or more open-minded ...

So, I did ask the same questions to the 'Infopunt migratie' of the city of Ghent.

"Een van de voorwaarden is inderdaad dat u zelf een inkomen van 1428 euro per maand hebt. Ik heb geen weet van een gezinshereniging die goedgekeurd werd op basis van de eigen middelen van de buitenlandse partner."

Reason enough to worry, but we'll try and add as much proof of stability as we can and hope for some 'common sense'

I know this condition. It mainly allows the immigration services to check the solvency of applicants as well as those who intend to welcome them into their family. THE principle is that the head of the family must earn a minimum monthly amount of 1480 € plus 150 € per dependent.

But logically, in your case, you have already planned the rental of a home through a real estate agency. So provide a copy of the rental agreement. Or at least a promise of rental.

Ask your bank for a solvency/credit certificate. This document will not say how much you have and / or how much you earn. But will demonstrate to the official services that a banking institution considers you solvent.

The problem that you must absolutely integrate is that:
- Immigration services are overwhelmed by demands from African migrants.
- Your file should be as complete / accurate as possible. Because 9 out of 10 visa applications are rejected because of an absent / poorly translated / incomplete document ...

As soon as you have a foothold in Belgium, take the administrative steps immediately and prepare to wait. Because the administrative departments concerned always render their answers at the last moment. Classic strategic maneuver that allows them still and always to check the financial solvency ...