Visa and relationship with A Chinese lady

Hi,
5 years ago i met a lovely Chinese lady in New Zealand, since then i visit her as often as i can, usually 6 weeks in a year, which at this point is hardly enough for either of us.
As she has a daughter who is about to go to university in HK, we have started to discuss if we can have a future together, our choices of where to live and at the same time offer a chance to live together for a period so we can both consider if we are suited for Marriage, as we are both in our middle years, and have family in each of our countries, i think its important that which ever country we choose to live together is favorable to both of us.
As there are requirements in NZ and Australia that require at least a year in a continuing and stable relationship, if we decide that one of these is our choice i will still need to live with her in China for a year.
if we decide to live in China, then i need some information on what options i have to stay there for a year and after if we decide to marry,
Any advise would be appreciated

yoiu can apply for an s1 or s2 visa, its a minefield, good luck :)https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embass … -visit.htm

Once you are married, you will be able to get a ten year Q2 visa without any problem. The only issue with this is that you will not be able to work on it.

I was married in HK with my Chinese wife. I am an American. I haven't had any problems that you would be worried about.  When I first moved to China, I did need to work, so I taught English. That got me a Z-visa.

It has been my experience that most of our fears NEVER come true. This is especially true in China, where things are complex but very easy at the same time.  Best wishes.

i'd double check if the 10 year thing  i think it applies to certain nationalities, i may be wrong but there is some info here. https://travel.stackexchange.com/questi … inese-visa

If you are married to a Chinese national you qualify for a ten year Q2 visa. There is nothing more complex than that.

Thanks for all your replies.
While Marriage may very well be the outcome later, however as we are both inclined to want to be sure we can live together over a reasonable period before that commitment comes.
If we can spend a year or so in each others shoes then it becomes much easier to decide our options.

We are also looking at a business option in China, i have read that there have been some positive changes in the process of starting a small business with a Chinese partner, which may offer another option. If anyone can offer me some advice on this would be great.

Thanks again
Ian

You have one business option if you want to own the company. That is a WOFE. There are no other options.

However, if you get married the company can be a Chinese legal entity, though you would not be on the paperwork.

I have been married to a Chine lady for 8 years and lived in China for 8 years and all I cant get is a 2 years vise at the time, so where does the 10 years come from?
Regards Flemming

I got one in Fiji which was a Q1. Later I went to Thailand and got a Q2. I never had any problems.

Flemming, the 10 year tourist visa is likely a reciprocal agreement between China and the US to offer each other 10 year visas (though the US cheats and makes the Chinese person reregister with EVUS every 2 years). 
On my visa I was limited to 6 months at a time, but a quick hop for a vacation in Bali renewed the 6 months.  Indonesia needed no visa for Chinese or Americans, not sure if it is the same with New Zealanders.

My wife is chinese and we have been married for 10 years and the longest visa I can get is 2 years and my daughter can only get a 3 year visa and her mother is chinese .. ...never heard of the 10 year Q2 visa ....but maybe Dolphynn is right a special agreement between the US and China.