Desperately Need Help

I am an American from Portland, OR who was interested in becoming an expat in Ecuador. We scheduled our flights to come check it out for a few weeks and within a day of arriving in Quito, I had a medical emergency and have been in the hospital since Friday April 20th. Basically, I have the sickle cell trait and, in rare cases, altitude, atmospheric pressure, and low oxygen intake can lead to sickle cell symptoms and I had a infraction of my spleen. I am feeling better now and have been cleared for release but I have to go directly to the airport and I need to have a portable oxygen concentrator for my trip to the airport and flight home. The problem is my Spanish is poor and I can't locate one with enough battery power to get me home. Would anyone be willing to help me call around medical supply companies to find what I need? I am willing to compensate you for your time and I desperate need the help so I can go home to my daughter.

I hope a quiteño expat will be able to help you quickly.

You may be able to find a concentrador de oxígeno portátil at Danmart Medical or they may be able to help locate one sufficient for your needs:

http://www.danmartmedical.com/index.php … gen-detail

Their main office is in the north a bit southwest of Parque La Carolina and the Jardín Botánico  at
9 de Octubre 17-70 y Eloy Alfaro
Edf. Cisneros – Piso 3 Ofc. 304
Telf: 02-2553-001 - 2569-408 - 0999945445 - 0984721876

Hi Jabeen,

Glad you are improving.

You can get assistance at no cost from the American Citizens Services of the US Consulate located at the US Embassy in Quito.

US Citizens Services

Contact them via phone at  (02) 398-5000

They man the number 24/7 with an English speaking or Bilingual English Spanish speaking staff.

Explain that this is a medical emergency, that you are a visitor and being released from the hospital,  and you require assistance in preparation for your departure (or move to a lower altitude)

In addition there is a Facebook group Expats in Quito where you should be able to quickly find folks to help.

Blessings for continued improvement and ...come on down to the coast...the air is nice and thick and the altitude...sea level :)

Susan

Thanks Susan. That is very helpful. I appreciate it.

@ OsageArcher provided some great information as well with the location of a durable medical supplies store. 

I think you will be in good hands!

Thanks OsageArcher. We have reached out to them but they dont have a unit with enough battery power to meet the FAA regulations.

Just for future reference, unfortunately, the US Consulate cannot help with this type of situation. They can help with death or a lost passport but not medical issues. Spoke to several people including two supervisors and got no help.

Do you need to buy or rent that concentrador?
How many hrs does your flight last?
I'm fluent on Spanish and can call companies to find this information.
You can answer here or send me a PM.

Kind regards.

jabeeen wrote:

unfortunately, the US Consulate cannot help with this type of situation. They can help with death or a lost passport but not medical issues. Spoke to several people including two supervisors and got no help.

Dear Jabeen,

I'm not buying it.

Of course US embassies and consulates can assist their citizen-tourists abroad.

They won't pay your medical expenses or get the armed services to give you a free ride to the airport.

But they do provide "general medical information" to citizen-travelers.

Now, the consulate folks you apparently reached seem to be mentally lazy in their interpretation of general  information.  I'd persist in working my way up the consulate food chain .. seeking a way or place to get the equipment you need .. not taking no for an answer .. emphasizing that you are in desperate straits and will be exposed to severe jeopardy if you attempt to make it home without having found the indicated equipment.  Get a message to -- or talk to -- the Ambassador or the head of the consular division if you're not getting results.

Also, research the pages of the travel.state.gov State Department website(s) to get clarity on the official position for consulates and embassies of the USA in providing aid or assistance or information to passport-holders in medical need.

Consider contacting your home-town newspaper or The Washington Post foreign news desk.  Do you realize what a scandal it would be if a consulate is discovered to be blowing off a citizen in-need overseas .. won't even assist in locating the equipment needed to survive a trip home!

cccmedia

Also, Jabeen, if you agree with my tentative conclusion that the consulate staff have been blowing you off through a lazy attitude, consider this....

You may have help in Washington....

1. Your Congressman and his/her staff.

2.  Your Senators and their staffs.

3.  The State Department in D.C.

Especially if your elected representatives in Washington are on a health committee or foreign affairs committee, they may have juice at the State Department and its embassies.  In a life-and-death situation for a constituent, that juice can be used to obtain enhanced assistance for a citizen-tourist who urgently needs his government's support under a more liberal interpretation of "general" assistance.  By the way, that earlier quote about providing you "medical information" is lifted directly off a travel.state.gov web page.

cccmedia