Fluent English Speakers

I'm a foreign university student in Istanbul and I moved here in June 2017. I love all the amazing things that Istanbul has to offer, but I'm very curious as to why it is so hard to meet people here. I understand that the language barrier is tough, but where are all the foreigners at? I miss speaking English with people and engaging in interesting topics with friends and strangers. Unfortunately I haven't met anyone who speaks fluent English in Istanbul yet, so it is hard for me to even have a proper conversation with anyone. My question is, are there any clubs/lounges/bars/places that I can find a few or even many English speakers at? Any specific bars or clubs that play English music? I know it sounds like I'm complaining on here but I've truly missed socializing with people. Istanbul is leaving me a bit lonely.

why you dont have any friends from the foreign university in istanbul which you are student in?
if you use search engine, you can find a lot of places to visit, which i cant recommend here to avoid unfair competition.
you can also join any group through social media in accordnce yr choices and attend the events to meet people.

Hi ,Hello,,,,I found it very easy to engage Expats or Turks in conversation with those simple two words. Try them once you will not regret it.

Hey Ranala I am in a similar situation. I have some close friends but many have moved away or have married and had children and we cannot hang out as much as before.

Most Turkish people do not speak much English and even if you meet someone their friends likely wont and hanging out in groups becomes very hard.

What are your interests? What area are you in?

I hear you! My number 1 sentence here turned out to be Hello, do you speak English? Even someone answering with "a little" would draw a tear out of my eye lol.

If you are interested in meeting and make conversation, let me know

I am available for a hangout. I speak English fluently and a little Italian

I moved to Istanbul couple of weeks ago. I don't speak Turkish (except for Merhaba:), planning to start a Turkish language course in couple of weeks). I don't know anyone here yet, and yet to discover the city. I'd love to come out for a hangout and meet new people, make friends.

We are in the same shoe.
I am open to meeting new people.

oli_z wrote:

I moved to Istanbul couple of weeks ago. I don't speak Turkish (except for Merhaba:), planning to start a Turkish language course in couple of weeks). I don't know anyone here yet, and yet to discover the city. I'd love to come out for a hangout and meet new people, make friends.

for turkish courses

you can check this one

https://www.avrasyatomer.com/en/

Thank you! I live around Kurtkoy though.. it's a bit too far. I know there's Tomer in Kadykoy which is closer, but if you know private tutors who are willing to come to Kurtkoy area, please let me know.

oli_z wrote:

Thank you! I live around Kurtkoy though.. it's a bit too far. I know there's Tomer in Kadykoy which is closer, but if you know private tutors who are willing to come to Kurtkoy area, please let me know.

Ok. This is another language course in your location:

KURTKÖY ŞUBESİ
Osmanlı Bulvarı. Çağdaş Center A-Blok No:10/4 Kurtköy

Tel: 0216 969 05 65

Tel: 0216 909 11 47

[email protected]

Pt is kinda expensive yet before that you can call this guys to check if they have turkish tutor or class in kurtköy branch.

I am almost %100 sure that they will say they could arrange private lessons  :)

Share the result of your call then I might try to find some other alternatives close to you. You could actually join meetups with your husband to practice turkish. I remember some of them at kadıköy area last summer

Awesome! Thank you so much!

oli_z wrote:

Awesome! Thank you so much!

anytime you need. Enjoy your time in forum. Have a nice day :top:

Wanna be strong - try to live your best alone. Sometimes curiousity kills the cat, doesn that? I mean if the life lines get you very good along alone  - why bothering find smn new? Esp in a city like that one. You never know who you can meet up with not to get for a good or bad. IMHO any way.

iotsci wrote:

Wanna be strong - try to live your best alone. Sometimes curiousity kills the cat, doesn that? I mean if the life lines get you very good along alone  - why bothering find smn new? Esp in a city like that one. You never know who you can meet up with not to get for a good or bad. IMHO any way.

She is getting information about turkish tutors not "find smn new". I guess you misunderstand whole concept here :/

"I'm a foreign university student in Istanbul and I moved here in June 2017. I love all the amazing things that Istanbul has to offer, but I'm very curious as to why it is so hard to meet people here. I understand that the language barrier is tough, but where are all the foreigners at? I miss speaking English with people and engaging in interesting topics with friends and strangers. Unfortunately I haven't met anyone who speaks fluent English in Istanbul yet, so it is hard for me to even have a proper conversation with anyone. My question is, are there any clubs/lounges/bars/places that I can find a few or even many English speakers at? Any specific bars or clubs that play English music? I know it sounds like I'm complaining on here but I've truly missed socializing with people. Istanbul is leaving me a bit lonely. "    ---> is it a whole concept here to mislead?

ranala wrote:

I'm a foreign university student in Istanbul and I moved here in June 2017. I love all the amazing things that Istanbul has to offer, but I'm very curious as to why it is so hard to meet people here. I understand that the language barrier is tough, but where are all the foreigners at? I miss speaking English with people and engaging in interesting topics with friends and strangers. Unfortunately I haven't met anyone who speaks fluent English in Istanbul yet, so it is hard for me to even have a proper conversation with anyone. My question is, are there any clubs/lounges/bars/places that I can find a few or even many English speakers at? Any specific bars or clubs that play English music? I know it sounds like I'm complaining on here but I've truly missed socializing with people. Istanbul is leaving me a bit lonely.

here comes the tada ...orginal msg - verbatim

huh you were referring to op. I though you mean Oli_z lol

I'm not looking for "someone new".
As I mentioned, I ENJOY socializing. There's a difference between enjoying something and needing it.