Suggestions for finding jobs as a freshman

Hi Everyone,

I'm a freshman from Denmark (23y) who recently finished my bachelor degree in Economics and Business Administration as well as 6 month internship in a Pharmaceutical company.

I'm very interested in moving to Manama and work for a large (preferably international) company. Therefore, I would like to hear your suggestions to how I should accomplish this?

So far, my plan has been to apply for specific positions through job sites as well as applying directly at the companies website (even though they have no open vacancies). Also, I've been trying to connect with people on LinkedIn and start a dialog, but it does not seem like a very efficient procedure.

What is your experience in doing this? And should I do anything else/more?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Joachim Schelde

As I posted on a previous thread:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 94#4146766

The reason I am referring to this is to link to the basic context.  You are doing the right things but the biggest issue is what I have highlighted in the thread before i.e. lack of overall experience and lack of GCC experience.

To add on to why that matters:

First, its about the cost. In today's market, companies are not going to bring in an expat from outside the GCC unless they can't find those skills in the local market.   And you are an almost fresh graduate so they are definitely not going to undertake that hassle when they can get someone similar who is a local and would help their localisation ratio (read third point).

Secondly, over the last few years, with the decline in the economies of the GCC, the preference has shifted from western expats to asian/non-gcc arab expats who have the skills and cost much less than a westerner.

Thirdly, Bahrain population is 50% locals who are well educated and work in private sector/service industries and even drive taxis.  This makes it very different from, say UAE, where locals amount for only 20% and work primarily with the Government.  These demographics mean that for entry level jobs, it is easier to find a local Bahraini and that is what most companies prefer.

Fourth, Bahrain is small so there is not much choice of industries or employers.

Having said that, to really improve your chances of finding something, you need to come down here for a month or two and look in person.  Companies might be more amenable as they would get to know you in person plus would take comfort in not paying any costs to be able to interview you.   An alternative is UAE which does have a much higher cost of living but also a much bigger business base.

Good morning.. 😊
Things are good if you want to make it happen.. things are bad according to economy now in bahrain.. there is always hope for everything.