Moving to Marsascala? Some advice please

Hi,my husband has accepted a job in Malta that starts within two months! He gree up there and we lived there for 6 months 4 years ago but this time will be different as i have two sons,one is 5 and the other 16 months.We are looking to move to Marsascala and i was hoping that someone could tell me what the primary school is like there please? My concern is my son will struggle to settle and learn as he only speaks english? Also ive heard the area is great for familys,would i be right in thinking this?any advice would be great.
Thank you

Hi, I live in Marsascala and some of my friends have children in this age (I mean 5 yrs, 16 mo does not need a school yet). They are all going to the St. Anna Public School and like it there. All subjects are held in English language, even Maltese lessons  :D

Maltese children speak Maltese among each other, but with foreign children they communicate in English (at school and at the playground).

And yes, Marsascala is great for families. First you have to do when you arrive is to come to the playground and in no time you'll get in contact with lots of children and parents. It's a great community here with different nationalities.

Thank you for replying! And for such reassurance  :)  il definitely head to the park when we get there! 👍

Do you know where in Malta your husband will be working? As schooling may depend on the area, bearing in mind how long it can take to travel in rush hour.

He will be working near Sliema,but we both feel Marsascala would be the place we want live,my husband said he's willing to commute but how long would you say that journey in height of the summer would take? Thanks

Abi1987 wrote:

He will be working near Sliema,but we both feel Marsascala would be the place we want live,my husband said he's willing to commute but how long would you say that journey in height of the summer would take? Thanks

From Marsascala to Sliema by bus it will take about 1 to 1,5 hours, depending on the traffic. But there is no useable bus connection during night between 10pm and 5am. Therefore some companies organise private coaches for their staff.

Commuting by car depends even more on the time of travel. You can be in Sliema within 20 minutes or it might take you 1,5 hours (since the Kappara Flyover is finished, the situation became better). But once you are there, finding a parking space is the next challenge. On some days it took me more time to find a parking than the whole travel from the South. You can rent a space in one of the parking lots, this way at least you (resp your husband) can avoid the parking hassle.

For me it was no problem working in St Julians, since I had a reserved parking space and flexible working hours. Commuting by car is quite okay, if you're starting around 10am and finishing either before 3pm or after 7pm.

I did this commuting für about 6 months. With the scooter it takes 15-20 minutes and you'll always find a parking. If you ask: No, riding a scooter in Malta is NOT more dangerous than in any other densely populated metropole. And yes, it is more dangerous than driving a car or taking the bus.

Another possibility is becoming more and more attractive: The ferry service from Birgu to Valletta and from Valletta to Sliema. At the end it will also take you up to 1,5 hours (for one direction !!!), but at least you can relax and read a book while traveling.

A lot of people from Marsascala commute to Sliema area every day and started car pools. But it's not easy because of the different working hours here.

Thank you so much for reply! You have really helped me with your answers,my husbands hours will be varied,so some days starting very early and others late morning etc.so I'm sure he will hopefully be able to avoid the busiest times of travel,we will have a car but he has also thought of getting a scooter which your answers gave us the info we need to make that decision.We will have to see about a parking space? As like you say that sounds very important.Thank you again

hi

There are many students there that are not locals, and the school caters for it, so you may find your settlement here as more easy for you. ***
thanks.

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : please post in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct