Transferring jobs in China

I am in SH. I have done alot of research on the process, but just wondering if anyone else has done the transferring of work permits since the new law was in affect last year, April 2017. I have called Entry and Exit Bureau and the Foreign Expert Bureau and they both say current employer doesn't cancel res permit. But current employer does. JW who has gone through it recently. Did you have to cancel res permit too and get a new license? How long did the whole process take? Did you go with to get the work permit cancellation? i hate that I just can't find all these answers on one website. And why Foreign things are not in English too!

Something amiss here.  My understanding is:-
Your Chinese Residence Permit is applied for by your potential employer - THEY are your sponsor in China for your employment with them.
If you leave their employment , they can not be held responsible for you. Hence they have to get your (their sponsorship) Residence Permit cancelled and your new employer makes their own application.
Any comments folks?

This is what I found out from foreign expert bureau. My employer went there when she found out I got different answers than what they got. “In addition, about your residence permit. She said, if your new company start the new process in 10 work days, company do not need cancel it. But if your new company do not apply your new residence permit in 10 work days, it will has problem when you apply your new work permit. Maybe even a fine.”