Safest part of Santiago to stay in, is...?

My husband and I are hoping to travel to Santiago in late July of 2011 to tour the country for 3 months on a fact finding mission to see if we will make Santiago our home after his retirement early next year.

I need to find a great and safe location in Santiago that is near shops, restaurants, metro, etc.  We will be walking everywhere and taking metro when we have too. 

We are looking for a 1 bedroom, 1 bath apartment for 2 months to call home with all utilities included.  Anyone have any leads we can use? I've been on compartodepto.com which seems to be just roommates and also on Craigslist which doesn't offer much.  Went to another site and she wanted the security deposit upfront before we've even landed and I'm not comfortable doing that.

We also need a lead for Calama for one month.  We will be staying in the extreme north of Chile for one month as well touring.

Thank you in advance.

Hi AuntieFlo :)

You may also post an advert in the accommodation section of Santiago classifieds. It might help!

Regards
Armand

Hi Flo,
Normally the agencies will ask you to pay in advance the security deposit, this is a secure for the landlord and the only way you can book the place.
If it is to risky for you to doing that way, you should arrive first, stay a couple of days in an Apart Hotel and visit some options. This way you can decide what is best for you and then make the booking.
Good luck!
Lorena

if I were you I would look in portalimmobiliario.com and I would look for something in Providencia disctrict near subway station Manuel Mont, Pedro de Valdivia, Los leones or Tobalaba.
Fr Calama I can't help you, just to what the hell will do in Calama for 1 Month, it is ugly, prefer Iquique which is in the coast and allwo you to travel at San Pedro de Atacama for 1 week or more.

I agree with PanchoStgo, Providencia will be everything you need.
I like apartments near Los Leones, i stayed there once, i used rentasuite.cl  but that's like an hotel, you pay daily but you could ask if you can rent for two month -at a special price of course-

Andrea29 and PanchoStgo,

Thank you both for replying.  I will check out the websites you have listed.

We are excited about touring Chile.