Teaching

How hard is it to get a good job, teaching english ?

I really do not have the experience to speak of other than talking to tons of teachers all the time.....what I have learned through words of others is that it is very easy to obtain a teaching job. PP seems to be the highest paid area, but I have no idea if that is true fact or just talk. I am sure others here will be able to give you great advice.  May also try posting under..... Jobs, that may be helpful. Cheers and good luck to you.

Thank you

Thank you

I have no degree , I've owned a business for 40 years so I have some business experience, I'm retired really don't need the money, but two years ago when I arrived , I was curious to see about volunteering teaching , I went to three schools , all three offered me a job on the spot 10-12$ a hour a real good wage in pp, but I'm not interested in a job , so I think it's pretty easy to first be smarter than me so should be pretty easy to find work teaching English I would think

well thank you

My home has sold and I have 9 days to vacate it.

I am well travelled but realise a few months backpacking is quite different from settling down in Asia. I wasn't brave enough to get rid of all my belongings. Some are going into storage for a year to restart life here in the UK if that is my conclusion.

I have always wanted to be a photographer and painter and learn the guitar but money pressure got in the way. I am 54 in July a year too young to officially obtain an ER Visa but I have substantial savings and hope that will be adequate. I want a base and not be on the move from country to country.

I have been to Siem Ream 4 times and hope to settle there, that is the plan . Here's to an adventure

Phillip

Hello Phillip.

Indeed traveling around or settling is a huge difference. I see you are not sure what your final goal is, so good you try it out.

If you have proof of financial independence you should have no problem to get a retirement extension of stay. Come in on an Ordinary [E] visa, within a month apply for extension to a ER [retirement] extension of stay, for either short time or for max. one year.

Good luck with your adventure.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hi,

It is never hard to get any English teaching job here in Phnom penh , the only problem you be facing is the pay. The schools actually paying if part time is $5-7/ per hour , full time is $500-800. So, it will always up to you to take it or not.

Note that apartments here to get decent ones will be $500-1000 per month.

Thanks Cherry  :top:

I've got a better than decent apartment, in bkk1 beautiful entrance, hardwood. Floors clean WiFi cable flat screen 350$ this is more normal although they advertise 500-1000 these are not real prices , they are looking for foreigner bate , 350-450 should get you a more than decent place , I know of a nice three bedroom house , 4 floors nice by any western standard it's on the other side of the bridge , playground for kids furnished 550 that's three bedrooms nice kitchen secured 24/7 guards , so forget the 1000 it's not real , this place on the other side of the bridge is fantastic by western standards hardwood floor three bathrooms a security gate to come and go through your children could ride bikes in this compound , huge playground , look around don't be discouraged by high asking price it's what it is asking price