New to Denmark

Hi everyone! I moved to Denmark at the end of 2017 from the UK to be with my wonderful partner. He is Danish, so that makes practising the language a lot easier!

I just wanted to share a few things. I really struggled the first few months. Not really with homesickness, but because the language was so different (and hard to make out, even if I knew the words people were saying!), because I was so used to shopping in the UK supermarkets, and the ones here are so different. The cultural differences aren't too different from the UK, but I still have to get used to the etiquette around meeting people.

Things which my partner is used to are completely alien to me coming from the UK. When you attend an event and you are meeting people, be prepared to have your hand shaken, and people's names aimed at you. You'll also find you'll have to say your name when you shake their hand too. I found this weird; in the UK, unless it's a formal meeting, this doesn't happen really.
If it's your birthday, it's a huge event. In fact, it seems like the Danes LOVE any excuse for some good food, good drinks and hygge.
If you don't already own a pair of sturdy walking boots, I'd get some. It seems that many Danish people love to use their family time for epic hikes in the countryside. Fantastic for photography too, as the countryside here is stunning.

Just a few things I've noticed so far. I am really enjoying being here, and I look forward to what the future brings! :)

i wish i can be in denmark soon