Foreign Representative for Branch Office / Good Local Accountant

Hi All,

We are in the process of registering a branch office in Kenya.  We are wondering if anyone knows what the "NORM" is for the appointment of a foreign representative.

We are dealing with KENYA INVESTMENT AUTHORITY which have been fantastic to date.  We just need to tick these last few boxes.  An introduction to a good local accountant would be appreciated, we are not looking for a KPMG, we just want a good local bloke.

Thanks in Advance.

Shaun

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Please register your services in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

To the best of my knowledge, you need to explore the local labour market and attempt to fill your position from a suitably qualified Kenyan.  Is this your intention when you state 'foreign representative'?

In employing a foreigner, the government requires you to explain why you are unable to recruit a Kenyan person to do the job.  Your company will apply for the work permit on behalf of the worker and providing this evidence is part of the application process.

Longonot62 wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, you need to explore the local labour market and attempt to fill your position from a suitably qualified Kenyan.  Is this your intention when you state 'foreign representative'?

In employing a foreigner, the government requires you to explain why you are unable to recruit a Kenyan person to do the job.  Your company will apply for the work permit on behalf of the worker and providing this evidence is part of the application process.

Thanks for the post.

We are setting up a branch office in Nairobi, we will employ Kenyans for almost all rolls within the office.  What our issue is, is that a quirk of the investment certificate process is that you need to have an on the ground representative for the company during the setup phase, this can be either a Local or a Resident.

We are speaking with legals now as we think that is probably the best way to jump through the hoop.  I was just wondering if anyone on hear had experience with this.

Thanks again.

I can help if need be....Message me for more information. thanks

Dear Shaun,

With over 15 years of active and relevant experience especially with tax and statutory compliance, I think I am the ideal candidate that you may need.
if you need any more details please contact me .

thanks
regards
Bilal

Dear Shaun!!
I may not what the procedure really is here in Nairobi, but I may know of a few offices that can help. But importantly you will need a work permit before anything else.
Mine is to welcome you to our beautiful country :-)