Tips on Online shopping

Hello all,

I hope this is a pin worthy post as all I want here is to share my knowledge on how to shop online the best way possible after I have noticed how much companies overcharge people here in Kuwait especially clothing and automotive spare parts companies among others.
So first let me make somethings clear.

1. All the info. below are of my own experience that I have gained doing shopping online for the past 12 years.

2. All prices are approximates and I encourage you to double check prices online regularly.

3. I'm not paid or sponsored by any company or organizations in or outside of Kuwait.

4. Most of the points will be in terms of tips and tricks as It is easier to remember
and things like (How to make an account on an online store!?) Or (what is the best shipping forwarding company!?) Might take me ages to write about but please feel free to ask me anything.

5.I will write some examples after the tips that reflect my own experience, yours might differ. 

So let's start.

Online shopping can be a great way to save money or get exactly what you need in a simple and convenient way. I have saved hundreds of K.Ds simply by comparing prices of what I needed to purchase in Kuwait to its prices online (plus shipping and taxes).
What you need to understand is that some companies here feel the need to milk you out of your hard earned money just because you live in Kuwait. So PLEASE check online before you purchase an item that you want/need (If it is not so urgent).

Here are some useful tips:

1. Most if not all international online stores require the postal code of the area you live in, in Kuwait. The below website can help:
http://kuwait-post.com
If in case you couldn't find it there, then ask at your area's post office (which usually are around the government run big supermarkets located in each area).

2. Check on the (shipping) section on the online shopping website for information regarding international shipping ( shipping companies they deal with, processing and shipping times, and any related info) that can help you estimate on duration of delivery and cost. If not found, send them an email.

3. Always Always Always check online before you purchase expensive designer clothes in stores here in Kuwait (especially kids and womens clothes).

4. Use shipping forwarding companies that collects shipments over time and send them to Kuwait in a single box instead of companies that ship items one by one (as they reach their office) as it's cheaper.

5. When using above mentioned companies, try to purchase items for your friends and families so you can all share the shipping expenses.

6. Read the shipping forwarding companies rules and regulations several times to know their rules regarding OVERSIZED items and items that are banned.

7. Always keep an email for newsletters from online shopping websites as they always send offers on special occasions and holidays.

8. If you set your mind on some pieces of clothes on clothing shopping websites that you are not on a hurry to buy, keep them in your cart for a day or two as sometimes the website will try to lure you on completing your purchase by offering you a discount.

9. In some brand name designers clothes shops in Kuwait, they might try to trick you in saying that the collection they have is the latest, only to find out that that collection is of last year and you can find it online with a good discount, so always check.

10. In Automotive parts, always ask for the Part # in the spare parts department of your car company and check the part's price online.

Examples:

1.I once wanted to buy my nephew an outfit as a gift. Passed through Ralph Lauren Kids at the Avenues and decided on a shirt, jacket and pants. The total was 105K.D. but I didn't buy them. I took photos of them and checked them on the official Ralph Lauren Kids store where I found them for 50K.D.. plus shipping and such, I bought them for 70K.D.

2. I knew I had to change the brake pads on my car in few weeks, so I checked at the stealership ehm I mean the dealership and was shocked to know that a set of front and rear brake pads cost 320K.D.. I asked to see the parts and inspect them before purchase (as they didn't want to give me the parts numbers) and found them online for 130K.D.. plus shipping I have paid 170K.D.

I can think of hundreds of others examples but I won't be able to list them all here. But please feel free to send me a message for any inquiry.

Hope the information above can help you all.

Regards
Mohamed Buyabes

Hello Mohamed Boyabes,
It was valuable information. Thank you.
I did not try to buy something through online shopping mall such as Amazon in Kuwait cause I am so afraid Kuwait Custom clearance. If custom officer asked me in Arabic, surely I will be almost paralyzed even the material is ordinary goods. Would you share your experience regarding custom clearance process?

You will not be in contact with any custom clearance officera If you ordered the items through one of the shipping companies such as FedEx, DHL, UPS, Aramex, TNT, etc.. as part of what you pay for shipping is for them to complete all steps leading to you getting your items door to door.
But If you ordered via regular mail and not expedited (Japan SAL mail, china mail, usps, etc) then your items will arrive at your area local post office or one of the government bigger post offices where you need to collect your items yourself,pay some fees, explain what are the items to the custom officer and such.
It's not so confusing or complicated if you know where to go and what to do! And there is no need to be nerves if you ordered items that are legal and for personal use!
Later I will write about how to know where to go to collect your items based only on tracking number ;-)

A lot of people get confused with where to find their online shipments in Kuwait.. the following information might be useful:

1. If your shipment is handled by FedEx, DHL, UPS, TNT, ARAMEX and such bigger shipping companies then expect the items to be delivered to your door step unless the items needs to be cleared by you personally which usually happens if the items need special clearence papers from the ministries of environment, health, interior, etc. These are exceptions when you order medical equipemts, food supplements,  and speciality equipments but sometimes they pass through customs with no additional actions from your side ((especially with DHL ;-) as I experienced.))

2. If the tracking number starts with the letter ( E ), then it will be available to collect from the EMS postal services which is located in Hateen next to the Hateen Co-operative .

3. If the tracking number starts with the letter ( C ), then it will be available to collect from the Al-Saddeq postal office services which is located in Al-Saddeq next to the Al-Saddeq Co-operative.

4. If the tracking number starts with the letter ( R ), then it will be available to collect from your area postal services office which is usually located next to your area's Co-operative .

(Tracking numbers starting with the letter R are usually items that are weighing less than 2kg and sent by the seller via expedited mail)

5. If the tracking number starts with the letter ( U ) or ( L ), then it will be available to collect from your area postal services office which is usually located next to your area's Co-operative .

(Tracking numbers starting with the letter U or L are usually envelops or small items and sent by the seller via ordinary mail)

6. If you ordered via ebay and their global shipping program GPS (which usually mentioned in the item's page under shipping method) the item will arrive at Kuwait's postal service but will be outsourced to one of the shipping companies to be delivered to your door step by them.

Hello Mohamed Boyabes,
Your post make me in peace of mind for online shopping in Kuwait. Thanks a lot for tips.