Humidity by the sea

Hello,

We are a couple who live in northern Vermont and are researching areas to retire to for part of the year   (at least Nov/Dec through May )in Central/South America - something by the ocean where we don't have to deal with snow!  However, we are not used to nor do we want to deal with a lot of humidity. 

One country we are looking at seriously is Ecuador.  Are there areas along the coast that are comfortable for snowbirds such as us.  In addition, are there areas we should avoid at all costs. 

Thank you ahead for any advice you can give us.

Kevin Dirth

Hello, Kevin.  Welcome to the Ecuador forum.

Ecuador has a long Pacific Ocean coastline .. with many micro-climates along the coast.

Some of these, because of ocean currents and other factors, are milder than others.

Variances occur due to time of year, and -- within any climatic zone -- the presence of cooling breezes depends on proximity to the ocean and geographic factors.  For instance, a home on a cliff may be breezier.

No one can predict what y'all will find most ideal.  Come on down and explore :) .

cccmedia

Kevin43 wrote:

Hello,

We are a couple who live in northern Vermont and are researching areas to retire to for part of the year   (at least Nov/Dec through May )in Central/South America - something by the ocean where we don't have to deal with snow!  However, we are not used to nor do we want to deal with a lot of humidity. 

One country we are looking at seriously is Ecuador.  Are there areas along the coast that are comfortable for snowbirds such as us.  In addition, are there areas we should avoid at all costs. 

Thank you ahead for any advice you can give us.

Kevin Dirth

If the coast is uncomfortable for you, give the highlands a try. For me personally Quito has an ideal climate with temperatures ranging between 50-73 almost every day with relatively low humidity during the day, the reading in my home at this time is 50% on a cloudy day to put in perspective.

However, due to high elevation, it can get pretty hot under the sun when there are no clouds.

For dry oceanfront dwelling, look to Salinas.  For rainforest-grade oceanfront dwelling, avoid Esmeraldas.  Keep in mind that not far from the beach in many areas you can find high ground where you can clearly see the sea, travel conveniently to the beach, and stay above most of the humidity.  Don't think that the farther you get from Salinas and the closer you get to Esmeraldas the more humidity you encounter, this is the  land of the "microclimate," where everything changes in a 15 minute driving radius.  And if you want to know when the worst of the humidity is in a given microclimate, visit in February and March during rainy season.  You really must get off the plane and out of your car and explore to understand this country.  Try spending three months bouncing from place to place.  You may find that, odd as it may be, it's a heaven on earth for you, just like it is for me.

After 25 years in South Florida, where waking outside is a bit like strolling through hot wet blankets, I can say that I have not felt that sort of humidity in the Santa Elena Province.

I lived for 7 years in Anconcito (which is the dryest portion of the Salinas canton) and now live near the Manabi Province border, near the cloud forest mountains in Olon.

Olon is greener and gets more rain it might be considered by some as humid but it is nothing like muggy summertime.  It is quite lush and green and it will rain here every few weeks during season and almost daily for about a month (usually at night) during rainy season.

The Salinas area is very, very dry.  It has desert and scrub plain plants in the dry forest that surrounds it  (bosque seco)  and rainy season is more like rainy week (although the rain can be heavy at times, it lasts only a short period).  Salinas does have some issues on drainage and after a rain or a very high aguaje (tidal surge) the drains on the malecon and back for 4 streets can flood out. 

Come on down and ride the bus up and down the coast.

Susan

Hi  Susan----I live in quito==will love to see the manabi area where you state you  reside--what will be the best way to OLAN--are any hotels in the area-

I like humid weather ---so on problem---thanks

dodd sheikh

Guayaquil in the rainy season reminds me of New Orleans in August. It's a swamp! But I am fine with it, actually.

Olon is located in the northern portion of the Provincia Santa Elena, not too far from the border with Manabi.

It is easily reached by any of the buses traveling the Ruta Spondylus and you can make connections in the south at the terminal terrestre de Sumpa in Ballenita, just outside of Salinas, or from the north you connection would be Puerto Viejo.  Coming fom Guayaquil, one would take the CLP bus fom the Guayaquil terminal directly to Montanita/Olon and get off at the final stop which is the Olon CLP terminal.

Olon has many lodgings, from budget hostals (Jardin Magico is the one I would reccomend, run by a musician couple) to more expensive stays at Sea garden, La Mariposa, and Rincon Olon.  There are also a couple of finca resorts (country ranches) about 2 kilometers from the ocean with spectacular views: El Retiro and Bella Aurora.

Thank you so much for your assistance and your expertise.  It is appreciated.

Kevin

Susan_in_Ecuador wrote:

The Salinas area is very, very dry.  It has desert and scrub plain plants in the dry forest that surrounds it  (bosque seco)  and rainy season is more like rainy week (although the rain can be heavy at times, it lasts only a short period).  Salinas does have some issues on drainage and after a rain or a very high aguaje (tidal surge) the drains on the malecon and back for 4 streets can flood out.   

Susan

Hi Susan.  I know from this and other forums you were a long-time resident and inn keeper in Salinas.  Can you give us your current view of Salinas or Santa Elena province in general, including Chipipe and maybe even San Lorenzo?  Has the residential demand maintained its fairly hot pace?  It always seemed the area I kept returning to in my search and I wish I had made it to your bed and breakfast!

Thanks so much Susan---such great and through information--I will be visiting Olon soon==

Dodd