Import company recommendations for a vehicle

Hello everyone,

I am looking for recommendations for a shipping agent to handle importing my jeep from the USA to the Dominican Republic. If they speak english it would be a big help too

I spoke with Suddath International shipping a couple weeks ago, he speaks great English and was a nice person...I think his name was George.  I was talking mainly about shipping household items but I got into the conversation about shipping a vehicle also his number is 303-213-7677. The company is out of Miami Florida. Hope this helps.

Thank youbso much!

Are you doing this shortly after getting residency?

PM me, I may have another shipper for you.

No - I recieved my residency last August.

Congrats on your new status. Am sending you a PM re: shipping your Jeep.

So then you are paying full tax and duty on this vehicle.  Keep us posted on your actual costs if you would!  It will be interesting to follow honey.

Planner quick question? Why would I be paying full cost? My understanding was that I was allowed to bring in one vehicle duty free as a pensionista.

Double check with your lawyer on timing as there is a time limit honey.

Thanks planner  - I hope the tax break is still valid but ya know it will be what it is so not much use worrying about it now.

I believe you have 6 months from residency.  You will pay the full boat so figure on at least 30-35% of the value (DR decides the value and you will be sadly surprised) in additional taxes.  You might want to reconsider

Bob K

I love your attitude.  Please keep us posted.

Planner, are you asking that question because it is not possible to bring in a vehicle without residency? I do not yet have residency but after the now 5th failed attempt at buying a car here, I was looking at importing one from Japan.

Bahamian,  that doesn't sound right, gringos buy cars all the time.

If you import a vehicle you will get clobbered with taxes and duty, registration fees etc.

I am curious as well tell us what happened. I've purchased a number of vehicles here for myself and others.  How can we help you?

I will be watching this as well. As my Residency process has just started, I will hoping to afford a vehicle once I get my cedula as I hope to get my Dominican drivers license before as soon as I have a vehicle. I have considered the import route. Every time I try to research and do something important, my familia here comes up with contacts that make my cost saving efforts looks silly - a good thing that I hope will also include buying a vehicle. I see so many newer or newer looking vehicles being driven that I figure I can afford decent SUV/truck that is high off the road and have good suspension. How have you assisted others dear lady? WIll be another item to chat about me thinks. Now sure when we can meet up as I am now waiting to learn what is happening back home with my daughter and her pregnancy - may have to travel north quickly...

I've done a bit if investigation. In mybparticular case it is still goong to be lass exspensive to import my 2017 Jeep wrangler even without benifit of the residency tac breaks sunce I recieved mine almost a year ago than it would be to purchase a new Jeep in the DR - I would rather pay the $17,000 USD import duty rather than pay $60,000 to $75,000 to buy a new one in Santo Domingo.

In your case it makes sense.

I have personally bought 3 vehicles and bought 5 others for various companies.

Whow 17,000 for taxes?     I am also looking for a vehicle.  SUV.   I was planning  on buying one once I get there.   Are they really up to 75,000?

Depends what you buy honey. Brand new carries a big price tag here!

I may go the route of buying a nice small suv in the states and ship it to DR when the time comes. I will take advantage of my Dominican citizenship to get the one time exception (exemption)

Yes that is an option and with citizenship it works well!

Pilgrim Imports Ph # 1-828=703-3067 His name is John.  Handles all the documentation required, Customs fees & duties, plates, registration, insurance etc. Saves up to 20% of customs charges.  Hands you the keys & you drive off with your fully legal vehicle.  All for a set fee. John is fluent in Spanish and English is his 1st. language. Tell him that I said hello.    Good service, good price & he is a long time expat, very well connected.  Good luck with  whomever you decide to use.  My opinion is that it is better to buy locally.  I would stay away from dealers & find expats who have something to sell.  I have bought 3 motorcycles, 2 suvs & 1 car in my years here.  ALL from private owners, (expats)  I had the time & network to get good deals on excellent rides.   If I had to ship a car, I'd definitely  use John.