Do I qualify for ILR? Unmarried + married partner visas

Hello everyone,

I am American and have spent nearly 9 years in the UK on various visas. Most recently I've spent 2.5 years on an unmarried partner visa, then switched to a spousal visa after getting married. I'm about to finish 2.5 years on the spousal partner visa (in September). I applied and was granted both visas with the same partner (now my husband) and both are on the same form FLR(M).

This totals 5 years, but I'm not sure if the two combined qualify me for Indefinite Leave to Remain. Does anyone know if they count as the same immigration category or do I need to apply for a further 2.5 years on the married partner visa first? Please provide links to relevant information, if possible.

I would appreciate any insight! Thanks in advance!!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

What's the status of your husband?  I.E. is he British, if not, what's his status in the UK.

Cynic
Expat Team

He's British. Sorry, should have said!

You "may" be eligible - I say that because it's what they say when you ask.  The process is described on the UK Gov website; this link will take you there; just follow the questionaire and it takes you through it.

If you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Please try this link http://workpermit.com/immigration/unite … ave-remain to find out if you are eligible and then you need to take the residency test. Hope it helps.

Sorry. The link is not working as the government seems to be reviewing the situation due to Brexit. You must work for 5 years in England to be eligible for indefinite stay (permanent residency). Residency test is taken when you apply for citizenship.

Dhan20 wrote:

Sorry. The link is not working as the government seems to be reviewing the situation due to Brexit. You must work for 5 years in England to be eligible for indefinite stay (permanent residency). Residency test is taken when you apply for citizenship.

Nothing has changed with Brexit. The link does not show as the poster has not made enough threads on the forum.

SimCityAT

Expat Team