First Impressions - North Coast

Just got back from my first trip to the North Coast - I had only been to DR once before, to Samana many years ago.

Everything was a little better organized and tidier than I had expected, so that was good.  I was staying 3 nights at an AI in Playa Dorada (which was nice but a bit dull) and 3 nights at Casa Marina in Sosua (not quite as refined, but more lively).  Weather was lovely even though a bit cloudy and even rain a couple of days - but that was a blessed relief from unrelenting sun on my tender white flesh!

Not surprisingly, the "All Inclusive" experience gets stale real fast.  Have to find different hotels next time.

The traffic and driving was not nearly as bad as many people implied here and elsewhere.  Sure the rules of the road are not rigidly observed and the motos a constant threat (mostly to themselves), but I have seen much worse in many places.  There were a couple of tense moments, about once per trip.  But the worst thing I saw was a moto with little girl on the back carrying a propane tank.  In other countries I have seen whole families arrayed across one little moto!  Driving through Port au Prince in Haiti was the most terrifying experience of my life!  Puerto Plata just does not compare!

Met a bunch of interesting people - expats and locals.  Was not hassled unduly on the beach.  Hotel and service staff were polite and moderately efficient.  There were some power outages, but the back-up generators kicked in quickly.

Didn't get out much at night in Sosua, so I did not see the fleshpot in its full glory, and the rest of it seemed fine.  Went down to Cabarate for a morning and it is lovely!

Unquestionably the worst thing was all the "Ugly Canadians" - loud, drunken, loutish tourists.  It was embarrassing!

Overall I had a very good impression of everything else.  Looking forward to my next trip!

Glad you had a good time and will be back.  Sorry we missed connections but next time..
Bob K

At last, another honest, well balanced review. Thank you. Perhaps a little harsh on the Canadians, but then I wasn't there with you.  All nations have people like that. Sorry you saw those particular ones. I live here in Sosua & know many Canadians who would denounce such behavior.   Glad you enjoyed your visit.  Have a safe & rapid return. Welcome to the forum & to the island.  I'm not a Canadian, just a Gypsy passing through life's adventure.  Hooray for the meet up!

As a canadian i would have been mortified.

As a Canadian i am mortified when any group does that! Effects everyone around and they clearly do not care.

your title... first impressions from the north coast...
you visited only 2 places, next to eachother. from top monte cristi to bottom samana is around 6 hours drive.
thats the north coast. not sosua,and cabarete.

Tony, he said from the North Shore, Sosua/Cabarete are on the North Shore, therefore he is correct. As you point out, it is not all of the North Shore, however, it IS a part of it. What were your first impressions?  You seem to have opinions to share. I'm looking forward to reading you posts.  Thank you & welcome.

Really, let's not nit pick!

OK.  I will only nit-pic in the future if there are real lice present. Then, I'll shampoo them away!  Mi culpa este tiempo, sorry. Nice outfit Saturday Planner. You were the belle of the ball.

Just letting people know that the north coast is a lot more then only sosua and Cabarete. Everyone has its own opinion on what place they like.

Jump in that car and take the tour. From Monti Cristi to all the end in Samana. You will see that there are many very nice places and each location has its charme.

I totally agree with you Tony.  In my years here, I explored the island on my V-Star. It is an amazingly beautiful island. I've spent time in several of the towns along the coast. I suggest for everyone to explore it. If I hadn't settled in Sosua, Cabrera would have become my home.

Can we just take the guys original post in the spirit it was intended?

Thank you Tinker. I was in vacation mode, still am, sort.of.