Do you need to tip in Malta??

Today a lady at the kebab place gave me a look.... I hesitated to leave a few cents but from my short experience in this island I never seen anyone leaving a tip either.
In Spain you don't, in Italy it depends on the area, in France is a federal crime not to....

If so, what is the going rate?

As someone that has lived here for 16 months or so, I still don't know the answer to this question though. Many restaurants when you pay by card completely skip the 'tip' portion on the machine system, where as other countries there is always an awkward pause. Perhaps there is no mechanism for the server to get the 'tip' on machines in Malta.

My general feeling is tipping for the most part isn't expected but appreciated. If I have a 2 euro coin with me after a meal, or there is some coin change, I'll leave it for the server, If it's a more expensive meal and I happen to have a fiver, I'll probably leave it. If I get delivery, I always like to throw the driver a 1-2 euro, especially if they were quick.

The times I don't leave a tip though either through not having change or not liking the service, I haven't really received any dirty looks nor felt guilty about doing so.

If the service is good, go ahead. Up to you.

Hi,
The Maltese do not tip as far as I'm aware, even if food and service great.
I nearly always tip, even if its just the small change, but that's because I know the staff are not paid much. For a meal if is normal a couple of euros, if coffee / snack normal  the change.
I lived in Spain for several years and people do tip there, in fact I worked in a bar for a couple of seasons and my tips were often more than I got paid, again the staff rely on it!
The only place in Europe I was told no when I was going to give a tip was Portugal.

yeah that was my question, what is customary among the maltese?

now i know, I'll keep some loose change for next time.

Thanks everybody!

Before leaving a tip, it may be worth asking who receives the money. In a number of restaurants that I know of, it is the owner that gets the money not the waiter/ress. In such cases I don't tip. Where the waiter/ress gets it, I do, usually 10%.

What do the Maltese do? Some do and some don't.