Overstay duration ?

Hi thank you ahead of time
I'm Kim from Canada and just back from Brazil my first time this year but 3 weeks last year , so I know I can go back for another 90 days ,which I'm booked for may 21
My problem is ,,, when I left last September after knowing I was going to marrying my boyfriend who lives in Brazil , which we met previous in Mexico ,
So I came home and proceeded with my divorce as I was separated , in November which usually takes 5 months longest with no problems , so I went back to brazil December 26 2017 and stayed until march 26 2018 , we got engaged , so I decided to come home tie up loose ends knowing I wanted to stay in brazil and get my divorce , thinking booked my return for may 21 this year , but to my disappointment my lawyer never filed for divorce , just got filed for April 4 2018 , so now I have ticket booked may 21 and it's impossible to have my certificate before I go back , the earliest maybe July , so I'll be there waiting to get papers sent to me , and I need to make appointment one month before we marry with papers that's bringing me to very close to August 21 and that's if I even receive my papers , my question is can I extend my visa for longer knowing I'll be married but going over the 2 times 90 days ? As what my visa says ,,, I don't want to stay longer knowing it can fool up our wedding ,or my stay if needed  thank you

Kim,
When you arrive in Brazil on May 21, 2018, you will be entitled to 180 days in the country after MAY 21, 2017.    From what you've written, it appears that you've already used up 90 of those days between December and March, so arriving in May, you'll still have ~90 days available, but will not be able to extend your visa.
Your best bet, for both visa and bureaucratic reasons around your wedding,  is to postpone your trip until you have your final divorce decree in hand, if you possibly can.  You'll still only have 90 days because your last trip will still be part of your rolling 365, but you won't be pushing up against your deadline before you have a chance to apply for permanent residency after your marriage.

That's what I was afraid of ,so they never ever extend over 180 days ?or I guess I can go back for 90 and back again , January omg :(( ,,, or wait until I get papers then go ? Oh my

Not that bad, if I'm reading your numbers correctly.  You make sure before you go that you have all your papers in order for both your marriage and your permanent residency, go back in July, get married in August, and apply immediately for permanent status.  Once you do that, you're off the visa expiration clock, with time to spare.

Oh my thank you , so besides my divorce papers what more would I need for staying there ? If you could send me in right direction would be great thank you

In general, these are the documents required for your marriage.  Your fiancé should confirm this list with the local Cartório that will certify the marriage, because there can be local differences.  All official Canadian documents should carry an Apostille issued by Canadian authorities, under the Hague Convention:

1. Original Birth Certificate.  In addition to being apostilled, this will need to be translated into Portuguese by a sworn translator; this can be done in Brazil.
2. Passport, with stamp showing date of entry into Brazil.
3. Final divorce decree, apostilled and translated by a sworn translator.
4. Marriage certificate for previous marriage, apostilled and translated by a sworn translator.

For your permanent residency application, these documents will be necessary; it would be wise for your fiancé to confirm this list with the local Federal Police office:

1. Complete online application
2. Authenticated copy of passport
3. Criminal background check from home country; must be no more than 6 months old.
4. Authenticated copy or Brazilian marriage certificate
5. Declaration of Financial Responsibility, signed by the Brazilian spouse, with an authenticated signature.
6. Declaration that the applicant has not been tried or convicted criminally, in Brazil or any foreign country, with an authenticated signature.
7. Proof of payment of the required fees.

If you can read Portuguese, much of this information is available on the Federal Police site.  It would be smart for your fiancé to become familiar with it, so he can help you get the right documents.

Thank you very much you've been so helpful 😊

Also another question after we marry month  after we apply for it , then we apply for permanent residence , right away , how long do this usually take this application ?, as I'm wondering is all this possible in my 3 month  span ?

All the rules changed in November, so someone who's applied for permanency since then should give you some idea of how long it takes; so can the Federal Police.  Once they accept your application, though, you don't need to worry anymore about your visa expiring:  as noted above, you're off the clock at that point, and you're legal while the permanency process runs its course.

Thank you again

Kimmie B

You are getting good information. Just remember when you are calculating your 180 days it on a running year and not calendar year

Jim

A running year ? Compared to calander ? Sorry can you explain  , thank you

Your year starts on the day you arrive in Brazil. So if you arrive on say May 1  then your year will start over on May 1 the next year.

Jim

So I went there last September for 3 weeks and again in December for 3 month so your telling me I only have 2 months left there 😮?Till September this year ? But after September I can go again ?

Kimmie B

This was posted by abthree a couple days ago It is probably the best explanation of how the extension works. It originated from a former expert who is deceased. I hope it helps.

"Tourist Visa Stay – 180 day per year maximum

The method of calculating the maximum visa stay is the subject of so much confusion that I have decided to try and explain it as clearly as possible so it can be easily understood by all.
The standard in practice used by the Federal Police is that ‘at no time during your present stay in the country you are permitted to exceed the 180 day per year maximum'.  So how do they calculate that?

On the date you enter Brazil they (actually the computer in most cases) go back 365 days and count the number of days that you have previously been in Brazil during that period. Please note that the day of arrival and day of departure on any previous visits are also counted as full days in making the calculation even if it was a matter of minutes or seconds.

The number of days is then subtracted from the allowable 180 day maximum stay for this trip. You will then be issued an entry visa for a period of up to 90 days, since a single (un-extended) stay is a maximum of 90 days. The balance of allowable days is used to calculate the number of days for which can extend your present stay in the country by applying for a ‘prorrogação de estado'.  This is known as the “rolling year system (or) floating year system”

Examples:

No previous visits to Brazil within the past 365 days – maximum visa stay 90 days PLUS a maximum extension upon request of a further 90 days for a total of 180 days.

A previous visit of 90 days within the past 365 days – maximum visa stay 90 days with NO VISA EXTENSION PERMITTED in this case.

A previous visit of 21 days within the past 365 days – maximum visa stay of 90 days PLUS an extension on request of not more than 69 days for a total of 180 days. (21+90+69 = 180)

Upon leaving Brazil following a stay of the full 180 days you would then have to be out of the country for 180 days just to set the count back to zero, from this point you would then accumulate 1 day for each day of absence that passed. After 365 days of absence you would then be back to your full 180 day allowable maximum. After an absence of only 270 days you could come back for only the ‘un-extended' 90 day maximum.

Anything between 180 and 270 days of absence your stay in the country would be limited to ONLY the number of days you had earned since the 180th day of your absence. This is most important for businesspeople who make frequent short visits to the country every year.

This system is so confusing, in fact, that many Federal Police and almost all of the contracted civilian immigration agents themselves do not understand it well enough to calculate manually and if the computer system that calculates your stay is not operating or if your point of entry is not connected to the system mistakes in calculation are quite common. 

Even if you know how the calculation is made and have already figured out your maximum correctly, if the person (in many cases a civilian) should make a mistake in the calculation NEVER argue with him/her or attempt in any way correct the error. This could make matters worse and serve only to make the person angry; this could result in being refused entry altogether. If they make a mistake you are probably stuck with it. You might try taking it up with someone at the Regional Superintendency of the Federal Police following your arrival, but even that is not a sure thing.

Requesting an extension of your visa stay – PRORROGAÇÃO DE ESTADO

This must be done at the Federal Police (Setor de Estrangeiros) nearest where you are staying. Ideally, the request should be made at least 2 or 3 weeks before the date of departure indicated on the current visa entry. Unlike everything else involving visas and immigration in Brazil this is really a very simple and straightforward procedure so don't worry.

You will be required to produce proof that you will still be able to support yourself financially for the extended period, show a return ticket or at least the booking confirmation, address where you will be staying, etc. There is a small fee for which you will be issued a GRU (Guia de Recolhimento da União) to be paid at the Bank of Brazil and when you return with that paid your passport will be stamped with the extension and returned to you.

Jim